What gear do you wear?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Re: What gear do you wear?

Post by SH125Paul »

rayb wrote:I bet you get some funny looks from the other passengers :)
You never know if ya train is gonna be delayed or cancelled, re-routed - best to be prepared...
And ya get 'all sorts' on the south eastern trains... ;-)
And not as funny looks as I'd get if I was wearing shorts!

defscoot
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Post by defscoot »

Glad this is a forum full of sensible people who take safety seriously.

Scooter riders often get a bit of stick for not wearing gear but I think the people who don't wear gear aren't interested in bikes or scooters, it's more their only form of transport etc.

Having only waterproof winter gear I have been baking the last few days so I went and bought some kevlar jeans and a light coloured mesh jacket (both with armour).

What a difference, the jeans are much nicer than the leggings in this heat and the mesh jacket is fantastic for air flow and also weight.

I nearly bought an open face helmet but after wearing a full face for a while now it felt odd putting on an open face, not much protection if I land face down although I do see the appeal of them.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

[quote="defscoot"

What a difference, the jeans are much nicer than the leggings in this heat and the mesh jacket is fantastic for air flow and also weight.

I nearly bought an open face helmet but after wearing a full face for a while now it felt odd putting on an open face, not much protection if I land face down although I do see the appeal of them.[/quote]

I have a Draggin Jeans ultra light jacket which, like a mesh jacket, allows the air right through. Obviously in the NE, it doesn't get a lot of use, but it makes riding possible in the current hot weather! Open face helmet? No thanks - I like my face the way it is!

Maxsymuppet
Current Ride: Maxsym 600i

Post by Maxsymuppet »

On my trips to town, although I don't wear bike boots I do wear high ankle boots which I tend to wear anyway for the ankle support they give. I don't like wearing shoes for this reason.

On the subject of helmets, I wear an open-face when it's hot (23+) because I find a full-face too stifling. My full-face is a flip-front but it is unsafe to ride with it flipped up. That's what I'm told anyway.

Even dressed like this it is bloody hot, but better than suffering the horrendous injuries that result from a crash without any protective gear at all apart from a helmet. It makes me cringe when I see mostly young riders in this weather wearing t-shirt, shorts and a helmet. I don't like to imagine the state they will be in after a slide down the road.

The Bern
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing 600

Post by The Bern »

defscoot wrote:Glad this is a forum full of sensible people who take safety seriously.
PMSL :lol: It was remarked on by the assistant when I went to get some stainless steel bolts this afternoon, that I was wearing 'slippers' :lol:

I started riding in 1967 when ATGATT had never been heard of, a sense of self-preservation, a pair of gloves & a leather jacket have served me well since then
Have wheels, will travel :D

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

I went into town and caught my hip on the side of a table. Bloody great bruise that I wouldn't have got if I'd worn my armoured jeans.

Maxsymuppet
Current Ride: Maxsym 600i

Post by Maxsymuppet »

rayb wrote:I went into town and caught my hip on the side of a table. Bloody great bruise that I wouldn't have got if I'd worn my armoured jeans.
Might be a claim in that.

Tracer
Current Ride: V clic

Post by Tracer »

In this lovely weather we’re having, if I’m just going to the shops on nearby, I’ve been wearing t shirt, shorts, flip flops, oven face lid & gloves. Adjust my riding accordingly.....

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

Tracer wrote:In this lovely weather we’re having, if I’m just going to the shops on nearby, I’ve been wearing t shirt, shorts, flip flops, oven face lid & gloves. Adjust my riding accordingly.....
Oven face lid. That's an accurate description of a full face in this weather. :)

muddyfox
Benefactor
Current Ride: Yamaha 250r x max

Post by muddyfox »

When I started riding helmets were not compulsory. The only condition my parents placed on me having my first motorbike (BSA C15) was I wore a helmet. Needless to say as soon as I was 100 yards away from home the helmet was off and left down an alley to be collected and worn on my return home. Other riding apparel consisted of Levi 501s, black and white baseball boots, white T shirt and a second hand leather jacket purchased from the local pawnbrokers shop. Woollen gloves were added through the winter months along with the previous nights newspaper wrapped around my torso under the jacket.
Oh to feel immortal once again.
Muddyfox (Nottingham)
Ride safe