Puncture repair kits

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Puncture repair kits

Post by rayb »

I got an amazon voucher for Father's Day and thought I'd get a repair kit. Can anyone recommend on please.

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Re: Puncture repair kits

Post by Ralph »

I got one of these,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/142650413189?c ... 793&crdt=0

Fixed 4 punctures with it 3 in the car 1 on the bike not had a problem, though I would recommend you study the instr and have a practice on say a old tyre to get the hang of it before you have to use in anger.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

sad vampire
Current Ride: NC750 DCT+Aprilia Atlantic 500

Post by sad vampire »

I too have one of these kits in one of the pockets on the scoot, Not had to use it yet, must read the instructions before I have need to.

Nice to know that they work.

XP500FUN
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda WibbleWing 600 Love it

Post by XP500FUN »

Can you then keep using the tyre, or is it just a get you home thing ? with these.

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

Officially they are a temp get you home repair as all these type of repre tend to be,
but I have to admit I have run them till the tyre needed replacing several thousand miles,
I usually mark the tyre and keep a eye on the plug but never had the slightest leak or problem.
When I changed a bike tyre I had done I had a good look at the repair from the inside and could
see no problem.
The bit were you insert the plug into the tool is the bit to watch, it must invert and be just inside the tool don't push it to far in.
https://www.stopngo.com/template/pdf/1000-1001.pdf
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

Here's quite a funny video on how to use the kit. If you look at the Amazon reviews, a few comment that the plug fell out. Maybe, they reamed to big a hole?

Steve_D
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Steve_D »

Whatever method you use, you will need to inflate the tyre. I’ve used this kit twice on friends bikes and in both cases it got them home from the South of France. £31 delivered (if you sign up to a free prime membership trial). ;)

Paddle harder. I can hear banjo music!

Honda SH300i

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Post by smeghead »

I've used one similar to this.
It fixed a hole in my Vespa until I replaced the tyre. It also bunged up a hole in my daughters car tyre for a week or so until it was replaced. It repaired a hole in an Antara tyre too. I drove around for a couple of weeks with that and with loss of pressure. I'm impressed tbh.

abitmad

Post by abitmad »

Steve_D wrote:Whatever method you use, you will need to inflate the tyre. I’ve used this kit twice on friends bikes and in both cases it got them home from the South of France. £31 delivered (if you sign up to a free prime membership trial). ;)

I prefer to carry a mini foot pump with my puncture kit and have this one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/132293134163?c ... rmvSB=true

Don't like those pressurised gas canisters which may not be adequate when it comes to it and see no need for an electric pump which would require battery access if you don't have a suitable accessory socket that can take the current.

newscooter
Benefactor
Current Ride: Grinnall BMW trike

Post by newscooter »

Crafty plugger is easy to use and carry. Hopefully whatever you buy will not be needed but don't forget a means of inflation just in case but I've never been impressed by the gas cartridges.