Anlas Tyres ? 120/80 14

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
The Bern
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing 600

Re: Anlas Tyres ? 120/80 14

Post by The Bern »

MrGrumpy wrote:
Meldrew wrote:Why don't you just buy the tyre.
Well, that's OK if you are talking about a well known brand, which you think should be OK (but not always....) but amongst the lesser known brands, there's some real crap out there eg Vee Rubber, IRC and its the point of the forum to share info to avoid expensive wastes of money.

Indeed, but I would hardly call Pirelli a "lesser known brand" bud :?
Have wheels, will travel :D

The Bern
Benefactor

Post by The Bern »

MrGrumpy wrote: but amongst the lesser known brands, there's some real crap out there eg Vee Rubber, IRC

Like I said earlier 'subjective' bud, IRC might seem a 'lesser known brand' to you, but IRC SS530 were one of the OEM tyres for Honda SilverWing 600, other options OEM were Bridgestone Hoops & Dunlop D305. In the US they seemed to like IRC's :?

XP500FUN
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda WibbleWing 600 Love it

Post by XP500FUN »

In the US they tend to like putting in the progressive springs in the front on SW`s too.

But in the UK our terrible roads don`t like them at all from my experiance.

Fine out on decent faster roads.

I found the hoop on mine a little hard for our small back roads with the Hyperpro`s.

The SC`s were a little better as fairly soft but too many other downsides sadly.

Best mark.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Meldrew wrote: I wouldn't say IRC tyres are crap, they're a recommended OE brand for the Silver Wing along with Bridgestone.
Maybe they've improved a bit then - I had one on my ancient Maj 250. Everything was OK for around 1000 miles then the grip totally vanished, despite there being tons of tread left.

The Bern
Benefactor

Post by The Bern »

MrGrumpy wrote:
Meldrew wrote: I wouldn't say IRC tyres are crap, they're a recommended OE brand for the Silver Wing along with Bridgestone.
Maybe they've improved a bit then - I had one on my ancient Maj 250. Everything was OK for around 1000 miles then the grip totally vanished, despite there being tons of tread left.

This is the thing about 'subjective' & the reason it's good to have choices to suit the needs of different individuals ;)

XP500FUN
Benefactor

Post by XP500FUN »

Well ordered a Diablo Rosso Scooter Via Pneus.

120/80 14s

Worked out about £42 delivered buying another tyre at the same time so free post.

I`ll keep you updated.

I`m hoping it reduces the strange wandering feeling off the SC Pure.

Best Mark.

XP500FUN
Benefactor

Post by XP500FUN »

Well so much for just buying the tyre, its come and is rock hard, and I mean hard.

I`m sure its a good tyre but no way I can match it with my front Hypero springs.

So looks like an ebay job, loose a few £`s and get an SC pure again.

Best Mark.

The Bern
Benefactor

Post by The Bern »

You could try asking those who have a SilverWing with Hyperpro front springs fitted what tyres they use ?

Personally I thing the sidewall construction method of bias/crossply tyres with a low profile ratio will inevitably make them feel stiff

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Tyres are a good game, aren't they!!
I thought the Metzeler crossply I fitted to 'your' mk1 Tmax was pretty good - seemed to ride quite nicely (as good as Michelin CityGrip) - the only oddity being that strange feeling of having GRIP when leaned over, which was very unlike a CityGrip!!!!

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

By coincidence, the guy in the workshop today was trying to interest me in Anlas tyres for the Tmax (yes, they do do them in the right sizes/ types), on the basis that they are new and being promoted and thus very cheap! Not too sure myself as my previous excursions into non-mainstream brands (Vee Rubber, IRC, Maxxis, Avon) have all ended badly. And there is nothing like a crap tyre to make your fun scooter feel like a pig to ride.