Anlas Tyres ? 120/80 14

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
The Bern
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing 600

Re: Anlas Tyres ? 120/80 14

Post by The Bern »

MrGrumpy wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:41 am non-mainstream brands (Vee Rubber, IRC, Maxxis, Avon) have all ended badly
:shock: Avon are considered ......... NON mainstream :shock: I was riding on Avon's in the 1960's, they must be doing something right to have survived this long.

Whatever brand you deem to be 'mainstream' will have at one time been never heard of ;)
Have wheels, will travel :D

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Post by smeghead »

Avons were the swap out tyre for Jap bikes with Japanese Dunlops in the 1970s I think. The oem tyres were dreadful. Plus Anlas tyres are a slip of the pen a way from Anals. I had a shufty at their blurb and I thought they would be fine.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

The Bern wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:44 am
MrGrumpy wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:41 am non-mainstream brands (Vee Rubber, IRC, Maxxis, Avon) have all ended badly
:shock: Avon are considered ......... NON mainstream :shock: I was riding on Avon's in the 1960's, they must be doing something right to have survived this long.

Whatever brand you deem to be 'mainstream' will have at one time been never heard of ;)
Mainstream...Dunlop, Michelin, Bridgestone, Pirelli, Metzeler

Avon - I should clarify. Yes, Avon make high quality bike tyres (in the UK), but decided to do some scooter tyres a few years ago, which were made for them by some unknown company in the Far East (possibly in Korea). They were appalling.... awful to ride, badly made, and the rear split right across the tread after 2 days. They went back.... I've no idea if they are better these days, as I'm not motivated to try them again.

The Bern
Benefactor

Post by The Bern »

I wasn't debating the quality of Avon tyres bud, I was debating your determination of 'maintream' I note you list Dunlop, yet Smeghead in the post immediately before yours correctly noted Dunlop made in Japan in the 70's were dire, I must also say while I deem Avon to be 'mainstream' I did find that the Avon AM63 Viper Stryke was dire on the back of the SilverWing.

XP500FUN
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda WibbleWing 600 Love it

Post by XP500FUN »

Avon scooter tyres get some very mixed and some quite iffy reviews too.

I suppose a british brand does`nt mean made here. Tyres seem to be made all over now.

Anyone got some front 03 hoops on at the moment, do they seem quite soft ? and how are they on lines and grooves etc please.

I`m pretty sure someone else on here had the funny following lines thing with SC pure michelins on the front, its the two odd centre line things, corners are fantastic appart from that, but they can be really iffy when upright and throw you right acrosss etc.

Best Mark.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

My recollection of the Hoops (though its a long time ago!) is that they were fairly soft - possibly why they grip so well in the wet! Can't recall any issues with road lines and grooves.

The Bern
Benefactor

Post by The Bern »

XP500FUN wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:21 pm
Anyone got some front 03 hoops on at the moment, do they seem quite soft ? and how are they on lines and grooves etc please.
MrGrumpy wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:29 am My recollection of the Hoops (though its a long time ago!) is that they were fairly soft - possibly why they grip so well in the wet! Can't recall any issues with road lines and grooves.
Now from previous posts I'm presuming that XP500 is asing about overall tyre softness (in as much as sidewall flex over road imperfections) ?
I'm also presuming that Mr. Grumpy is refering to tyre compound softness ? in a manner similar to the previous recomended tyre which on arrival was rejected as too stiff, which leads me to think tyre construction is the issue, rather than compound 'stickyness'.
Getting rid of the hyperpro's & going back to OEM (softer) springs + changing the fork oil grade accordingly is more likely to cure your problems than any amount of tyre changing bud.

XP500FUN
Benefactor

Post by XP500FUN »

I bought a Diabblo rosso tyre, and yes its rock hard.

There is absolutely no need to try it it as the Michelin which is on is far and away more bump absorbey and its shakey bang city with that one at the front, though it did help.

I`ve been trying to get some std springs since I got the bike, I`m not sure what new ones would be but maybe should try but likely to be crazy.

If at some point if I can get some going to pop in std springs with 15W oil as seems to be the way to go.

Just where on earth do I get some, shame the old one`s weren`t with the bike.

I notice the new pirelli Angel tyre they actually designed it to absorb more bumps, but looks as if on the rosso they just stiffened it right up for all out handling, OK in a decent road area, if there is one in the UK.

If I hadn`t found how good the city grip was on the rear on the absorbing the bumps front I`d of had to let the bike go.

When I bought the bike and saw the recipet for the Hyperpro`s I thought great, but I wasn`t ready for just how flippin stiff they are.

So the hunt for springs goes on but in the mean time, the softer the tyre to help to a degree for now the better.

Out of interest the rear hoop was a lot stiffer than a City Grip, even a rear SC pure was still quite hard compared to the city grip on the rear.

Best Mark.

The Bern
Benefactor

Post by The Bern »

So as I thought, you're looking for a tyre with sidewall flex &/or tread area deformation, which 'by & large' are not what the bulk of riders are concerned with when buying a tyre, they are more interested in roadholding, hence why people are misreading your quest for a softer tyre.
In practical terms you need to study the tyre construction of various brands, ignore the sidewalls as they are likely to be extremely similar, look at the tread area, how many layers & what material/s. The other option would be to look at tread pattern, a 'block' pattern would by it's nature have more 'give' & hence deformation, for those look at Anlass Winter or Contimove 365.
But at the end of the day simply changing the tyre is not going to remedy your problem, give the guy in Oldham another try bud, he's breaking another one now/shortly (he advertised it was coming in for breaking on farcebook)

XP500FUN
Benefactor

Post by XP500FUN »

Hi Yes thats right and don`t get me wrong on the Hyperpro`s, they just don`t suit my 95% small back road riding.

Tonight I went out for a blast and popped an extra 5ilbs in the front and rear and headed for some half !!! decent roads for a quick thrash.

Had great fun and if you push the SW with its weight etc they are good and keep things nicely under control.

But we actually live down small terrible roads to start with, I can go for an hour plus toodle about and not get on to an OK one`s quite easily.

I wish I could find someone with std springs who fancies the Hyperpro`s as I`d be happy to buy thiers for say £40 then give them mine free by return.

Going to pop the Michelin SC Pure tyres that are on the way on for now, and if you keep them 32+ when new they are quite good overall.

If anyone with std springs fanices the Diablo Rosso Tyre £30 ( about £6 ) plus post would do.

Thats just a space thing as the SC pures will do 12K for now.

Best Mark.

PS as you know I was intending do pop 10W oil in the the hyperpro`s, but the chap who is helping me thinks its far better to get std springs and pop in 15w for my riding style and so do I. I barely get over 70 these days, usually about 45 ish most of the time or much less even.