Is NC750X a worthy alternative to a maxi?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
defscoot
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Re: Is NC750X a worthy alternative to a maxi?

Post by defscoot »

halfabusa wrote:
XP500FUN wrote:4 letters needed here Defscoot.

" T.max " you will never look back.

As good as a bike,( better than many ) but a scooter.

Best Mark.
The new DX model looked very attractive to me too but living so close to London, it also gets unwanted attraction from scum, which is why I am leaning towards a bike that's has less scum-magnetism. I wish the crime wasn't as bad as it is now, because it's directly affecting my choices.
Indeed, especially in London. TMax is very hot for thieving scum. I bet the insurance premiums are high in London too for them.

XP500FUN
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda WibbleWing 600 Love it

Post by XP500FUN »

I`d just consider going for an older £1500 ish MK 2 T max and you would find it superb allround, the handling is way beyond any other scooter.

Handles the bumps well, you can upgrade the shock for around £200 that makes them even better and its so far away from an X max you would not belive it.

If I didn`t have buggered hips ( and short legs ) I`d have another one tomorrow.

Best Mark.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-XP500 ... SwRuVbN3tb

A decent price later model.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

I can't comment on the Integra's ride quality as I've never ridden one, only the X-ADV briefly, who's ride was OK, but on the firm side. IMHO the Burger 650's ride isn't great - its fine on main roads, but on country lanes (let alone cobbles!) the ride seriously disintegrates. This was the mk1 version though - don't know if the revised model is any better.
Tmax ride quality varies a bit between models, and whilst it certainly isn't limo smooth, it is normally very controlled and stable.

XP500FUN
Benefactor

Post by XP500FUN »

I`ve not ridden the Suzuki 650 Burger, but I have the 400.

But I can say the handling on a silverwing compared to a T max is like night and day.

You can generally go almost as fast on a silverwing but its a lot harder work, you feel more of the bumps and as MR G mentions the Control on the T max comapred to that is superb.

On small back lanes etc you feel as if you really need to concentrate all of the time on a SW or it will catch you out.

Saying that you can pick up a really nice silverwing up for around £1K with about 30K odd miles on and theres a lot of bike for your cash there. But they are heavy.

But the engine is superb on the SW. And the handling is probably better than most unit swing scooters.

If you can get a test ride on a T max be well worth a go. The MK1 and 2 seem to be slightly less nickey.

The power on my silverwing reminds me quite a lot of my Yamagha XJ900 with how it delivers etc.

I`d guess you can be pretty sure a silver or blue Silverwing is unlikely to be whipped other than by the nick anything types.

One thing I will say if you go for a Maxi scooter, if you get one with a feet up and forward option its lovely.

I`m surprised by the ones that don`t have that. A T max does.

Best Mark.

phantom309
Current Ride: nc750sa

Post by phantom309 »

for myself personally . the silverwing i had was like riding a bus round bowl of jelly . wollows all over the place , the 650 burgman was so nice , i loved mine till some one drove into the rear of it an wrote it off.. thaat body work is flipping expencive .. which brings me too my current NC750 X. well my 3rd one . they are just amazing to ride . an with 70 / 80 mpg . 8000 mile service intervals .an great handling an riding pleasure.what's not to like ..an the DCT gearbox is something else ... so smooth an learns from how you are riding an alters to it ... the only real downside to an NC. some of the older ones had really hard seats.but up gradeable i had a shad seat . it's still in the loft...lol ... an i recently hit a pothole an put a small dent in the rear wheel rim....to which honda want £741 for :o .....i nearly fell over . :shock: ..
Good friends don't let you do stupids thing alone .

Aaron
Current Ride: Yamaha Tmax Tech Max 2022

Post by Aaron »

phantom309 wrote:... an i recently hit a pothole an put a small dent in the rear wheel rim....to which honda want £741 for :o .....i nearly fell over . :shock: ..

Hey phantom309

I did a price for your rear wheel on "Webike Japan" for a NC750X, and it came up as £437 including shipping to the UK.

I buy a few things off Webike Japan for my Tmax. Parts come straight from Japan and heaps cheaper.

Aaron

halfabusa
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda NC750X DCT

Post by halfabusa »

XP500FUN wrote:I`ve not ridden the Suzuki 650 Burger, but I have the 400.

But I can say the handling on a silverwing compared to a T max is like night and day.

You can generally go almost as fast on a silverwing but its a lot harder work, you feel more of the bumps and as MR G mentions the Control on the T max comapred to that is superb.

On small back lanes etc you feel as if you really need to concentrate all of the time on a SW or it will catch you out.

Saying that you can pick up a really nice silverwing up for around £1K with about 30K odd miles on and theres a lot of bike for your cash there. But they are heavy.

But the engine is superb on the SW. And the handling is probably better than most unit swing scooters.

If you can get a test ride on a T max be well worth a go. The MK1 and 2 seem to be slightly less nickey.

The power on my silverwing reminds me quite a lot of my Yamagha XJ900 with how it delivers etc.

I`d guess you can be pretty sure a silver or blue Silverwing is unlikely to be whipped other than by the nick anything types.

One thing I will say if you go for a Maxi scooter, if you get one with a feet up and forward option its lovely.

I`m surprised by the ones that don`t have that. A T max does.

Best Mark.

Hi Mark,

I had the burgman 400 as well as tmax mk1 before. Burgman had numerous electrical problems and the transmission bell needed regular cleaning, so i never got along with it, especially after changing jobs and finding myself revving its nuts off on the motorways. It just didn't have enough oomph in reserve for my liking.

Tmax mk1 was really good, although it was the carb model and pretty old it was bulletproof. I found yamaha generally to have better quality and reliability than the suzuki as a brand. I didn't own a honda before so can't comment on them yet.

Silverwings are indeed a bargain, and very tempting with their low mileage cheap second hand models for sale. Unfortunately I never could warm up to their shape, or their speedo. For me, the design and functionality of the speedo (dash) is very important. Some may find this mad but that's what I like, can't help it :) At the end of the day that's what I see in front of me during most of my riding.

They would be equally unattractive to thieves, I agree, however that is not a reason good enough to pick one up and ride something I will never like.

I'll take an NC for a test ride before I harp on how much I want one though, as until I tried one, I won't know if I would cope with the lack of weather protection. I do like the straight up riding position though! It's even more upright than my fjr according to cycle-ergo.
ImageImageImageImage

NC750X DCT
FJR1300
Burgman 400 gone
Tmax 500 Sold
Burgman 650 dead...

defscoot
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Post by defscoot »

phantom309 wrote:for myself personally . the silverwing i had was like riding a bus round bowl of jelly . wollows all over the place
Well, no idea what it's like to drive a bus in jelly but that sounds smooth to me so perhaps that's what I'm looking for.

Has to be better than going down country roads with my jimmy jewels "ping ponging" against the seat.

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Post by smeghead »

I had a Silverwing for a while. Yes it can bounce around a bit but, let's be honest, most scooters do. It's not meant to be a motorcycle after all. What they do do is tonk along at a respectable pace remaining stable and true. I liked mine but it was a bit heavy around town for my arthritic hip to cope with so I got the Vespa GTS. The Silverwing was very competent, great weather protection once the screen was replaced with a Givi Airflow, decent storage and a solid feel to it. I liked the simple CVT transmission, god knows what happens in a DCT 'box but I can't see it being home mechanic friendly tbh.

XP500FUN
Benefactor

Post by XP500FUN »

I have about got to grips with my silverwing and do now love it.

5 on the suspension, and a Michelin City Grip on the back at 32 lbs its not too bad on bumps, it is a proper swinging arm set up near enough.

But the jelly is quite a good way to describe it compared to a T Max. But its alright really and you can still do a bit of speedy naughtiness and get a good grin going too.

The super handy feet down set up and loads of whoomph for the cash they are OK and a post mid 2007 exhaust sensor one will do 60+ MPGs too.

Cheap usual type tyres too.

Just don`t ride a T max first, or the SW will be a shock to the system to say the least.

If you take the seat humps off its super comfortable and also seems to help on the bumps.

You can get a very nice one for around £1200, a lovely 2006 one went for about that on ebay not long ago.

If you have an easy access garage, not like mine over a rough track, up a bit of a hill in to the garage etc they are pretty good.

Overall it would be worth trying one as they can be very good at what they do.

Don`t pay too much for one though as peole ask silly prices sometimes. You should get a nice 2008 model for around £1600 or so.

I know a chap bought a 2011 from an old chap who was giving up for £1100, so there are bargains around, though not usually that good.

I`m pretty sure it would be a very good step up from your current scoot out in the lanes.

Buy one for a decent price, nip off the drivers hump and see how you go for a few weeks. Getting on and off is a breeze.

I think I am actually addicted to the engine on mine.

Best Mark.