Is NC750X a worthy alternative to a maxi?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Scootypuff snr

Re: Is NC750X a worthy alternative to a maxi?

Post by Scootypuff snr »

Luckydave wrote:Just been told by a Honda dealer that the Goldwing comes with DCT and reverse gear
and a 30 grand price tag

rtfm
Current Ride: Integra 700

Post by rtfm »

If you can get over the adv styling and have a chance at a test ride, the Africa twin is bloody great for commuting and long distance comfort. Bit like an nc700 on 'roids. Fuel economy is good as long as you don't hammer it everywhere - certainly better than the fjr anyway - and plenty quick.

Plenty of used dct models about and chuck a givi 56 litre top box on and there's plenty of storage for everyday use.

I am biased as I have one though.

halfabusa
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda NC750X DCT

Post by halfabusa »

Africa twin is a bit too extreme for me, i'm not keen on the adventure styling tbh, and nc would be as far as i'd go in that direction. Even if i did, they seem to start from £7.5k used. My budget would be around 4-5k for used unless I go for one of those 0 apr brand new deals.

I saw the price on those electronic scottoilers. They really are pricey but i'm spoiled for years of no chain maintenance worries that i'd rather pay up for an auto oiler :)
ImageImageImageImage

NC750X DCT
FJR1300
Burgman 400 gone
Tmax 500 Sold
Burgman 650 dead...

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

To go back to the original question about the desirabiity of a 750X vs Burgman, it may come down to how you get on with the NC's low revving engine. If you recall I had a test ride of the X-ADV, and really didn't like the engine characteristics at all - felt like a throbbing slogging Harley to me! I recall others on here saying that not everyone gets on with it, or needs time to get used to it. Its undoubtedly an efficient engine, and whilst the low revs make it feel sluggish, the high levels of torque mean that it does perform pretty well (I know it'll leave a Tmax mk6 in the dust!), but I didn't find it fun. Its a sort of head vs heart thing - rationally any of the NC engined range is a good choice, but I so much find the Tmax more fun! There again, if you are comparing with a Burger, then, whilst it was good, it wasn't as much fun as a Tmax anyway - haven't tried the revised Burger 650 though.

The DCT didn't blow me away either - it worked pretty well, its just that I expected such an hi-tech system to enhance the riding experience over a simple CVT, but didn't. The DCT's options are probably more useful than the Burgers SECVT though.

kayz1
Benefactor
Current Ride: Scott X-ADV75 + bmw r90s + c70

Post by kayz1 »

MrGrumpy wrote:To go back to the original question about the desirabiity of a 750X vs Burgman, it may come down to how you get on with the NC's low revving engine. If you recall I had a test ride of the X-ADV, and really didn't like the engine characteristics at all - felt like a throbbing slogging Harley to me! I recall others on here saying that not everyone gets on with it, or needs time to get used to it. Its undoubtedly an efficient engine, and whilst the low revs make it feel sluggish, the high levels of torque mean that it does perform pretty well (I know it'll leave a Tmax mk6 in the dust!), but I didn't find it fun. Its a sort of head vs heart thing - rationally any of the NC engined range is a good choice, but I so much find the Tmax more fun! There again, if you are comparing with a Burger, then, whilst it was good, it wasn't as much fun as a Tmax anyway - haven't tried the revised Burger 650 though.

The DCT didn't blow me away either - it worked pretty well, its just that I expected such an hi-tech system to enhance the riding experience over a simple CVT, but didn't. The DCT's options are probably more useful than the Burgers SECVT though.

I get what you say about the gearbox Mr Grumpy, but don't forget it is a manual gearbox with an electric motor bolted on the end to do the work for you. Whilst the work is controlled by little electrons running around the circuits all being very helpful. ( we hope ) :lol:
So if you want a super duper very clever electronic modern REAL Automatic gearbox that saps 20% of engine power....

And yes i would still have another T-MAX if i could get my feet on the ground, or a big Burger if they lost a few more Kls.
Lyn.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

kayz1 wrote:
I get what you say about the gearbox Mr Grumpy, but don't forget it is a manual gearbox with an electric motor bolted on the end to do the work for you. Whilst the work is controlled by little electrons running around the circuits all being very helpful. ( we hope ) :lol:
So if you want a super duper very clever electronic modern REAL Automatic gearbox that saps 20% of engine power....
Yes - I know its really not the same thing at all, but I expected something like the Seamless Shift gearboxes that are on MotoGP bikes but with automatic control - the changes on them are incredibly fast, and incredibly smooth and rider doesn't need to use the clutch at all (after launch). I kind of expected the DCT to be a roadgoing version of that, with super-duper software making very clever decisions. Don't get me wrong - the DCT works fine 99% of the time, but maybe my expectations were too high.

charles1976
Current Ride: shopping around

Post by charles1976 »

I much prefer the riding style....feet forward to motorcycle traditional upright of my nc750x and I'd love another burgman 650 but it's 30kg too heavy, maybe a facelift due as it's been 5 years since the last overhaul....maybe, also a Forza 400 would appeal as well.....Bmw c400 just doesn't do it for me, piaggio haven't replaced the x10 either...wonder if there's something in the pipeline...

halfabusa
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda NC750X DCT

Post by halfabusa »

MrGrumpy wrote:To go back to the original question about the desirabiity of a 750X vs Burgman, it may come down to how you get on with the NC's low revving engine. If you recall I had a test ride of the X-ADV, and really didn't like the engine characteristics at all - felt like a throbbing slogging Harley to me! I recall others on here saying that not everyone gets on with it, or needs time to get used to it. Its undoubtedly an efficient engine, and whilst the low revs make it feel sluggish, the high levels of torque mean that it does perform pretty well (I know it'll leave a Tmax mk6 in the dust!), but I didn't find it fun. Its a sort of head vs heart thing - rationally any of the NC engined range is a good choice, but I so much find the Tmax more fun! There again, if you are comparing with a Burger, then, whilst it was good, it wasn't as much fun as a Tmax anyway - haven't tried the revised Burger 650 though.

Hmm, never thought the low revving engine would be an annoyance for me. As long as the pull is there (which the torque will provide) i should be alright. In fact, i don't prefer revving high when I'm commuting around. On my fjr i usually keep to the top gear from around 30mph onwards as it's got bags of torque and can handle it. Only when i'm making speedy progress i end up revving it. I think torque wins over revs for me (i also prefer diesel cars to petrol)

On the gearbox subject though, can you let me know how it handles going downhills? On a typical maxi you get engine breaking which does the job. I especially liked my old burgman 650's sport mode for downhills. Is the DCT clever enough to downshift and apply engine breaking when you're off the throttle? If it is, how aggressive is it? Does it downshift as soon as you come off throttle or waits a while and shifts when the revs are below a certain rpm?
ImageImageImageImage

NC750X DCT
FJR1300
Burgman 400 gone
Tmax 500 Sold
Burgman 650 dead...

rtfm

Post by rtfm »

Engine breaking on the nc's is ok, certainly way better than any maxi/scoot I have ridden. If the low reving chugging annoys you just run it around in one of the sports modes (or manual).

I used the Integra 700 in sports mode all the time as it was a wee bit lumpy at 30mph in drive.

It will wait a while for the revs to drop before shifting down, the sportier modes will drop down more quickly and leave it longer to change up but using the paddle shift you can override it and it becomes second nature really quickly.

The only time the gear changes irritate me is mid way through very slow corners (i.e. turning at junctions) it will decide to go from 2nd to first but again you can just preempt this and put it into first before the turn.

rtfm

Post by rtfm »

The only other point I would add is a rear foot brake is cack compared to the bicycle style brakes of the Integra or conventional scooter but having an fjr you know that and will be used to it already :-)