Is NC750X a worthy alternative to a maxi?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Luckydave
Current Ride: Burgman 650 and others

Re: Is NC750X a worthy alternative to a maxi?

Post by Luckydave »

Honda dealership told me last year that an 800 crossrunner was on the cards! Not so as we know,I tried an Africa Twin DCT ( only sat on it lol) and I found it difficult getting off it,reason I didn’t ride it

kayz1
Benefactor
Current Ride: Scott X-ADV75 + bmw r90s + c70

Post by kayz1 »

***Totally throwing a wild card in the mix how about a Honda crossrunner (I believe Honda are discontinuing the model as not a great seller & DCT available)***

Cracking machine but big and heavy if you are an old, little feller as i am.

Ferret
Benefactor
Current Ride: Aprilia srv 850

Post by Ferret »

The crossrunner is like the cbf1000 a very underestimated machine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

halfabusa
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda NC750X DCT

Post by halfabusa »

Steve_D wrote:Funnily enough, I sold my once-a-year touring bike, a FJR, last year as it was hardly used. I’d been going on a Euro trip with 3 mates for the last 6 years. This year they are riding to Corsica. I, on the other hand, am flying out and meeting there (£98 return, Air Corsica) and hiring a bike for three days (€320). The bike I’m getting is an NCX 750 so it will be an interesting comparison. Will that be a clutchless one?

http://www.corsicamoto.com/document/pag ... 100618.pdf
Yes, I remember you used to have an fjr as well. I still use mine daily due to motorway commuting as it's the perfect tool for long motorway rides. Not a bad plan to fly out and meet your mates there. Let us know how the nc felt compared to the fjr. I reckon it's the dct model as it says ncx 750. The model name is normally nc750 and then if there's an X in the end it becomes dct model, so i think they just named it ncx750 in their site.

[quote="Luckydave"I was speaking to an old guy regarding the NC750/X-ADV last week and he reckons the engine is half a Jaz car engine! Is that correct?[/quote]

I read that too on separate forum. Might be true. Might also be hearsay, after all, they used to call burgman engine half of hayabusa engine too (hence my username)

charles1976 wrote:I have a nc750x Dct 2017 year model.

The GOOD

7k miles prior to tyre replacement ish!

The Could Improves.....

No cruise control
Thanks a lot for listing out the good and the bad Charles. Two things I want to comment out of your list: Is 7k miles out of tyre good? I'm not sure what the expectation should be but when I got 8k out of my fjr's last rear tyre, i was pissed off as it felt so low. Only realised they were wrong type of tyres when my mechanic pointed it out. Now have michelin pilot something tourer on them which are supposed to be dog's bollocks.

I don't think burgman has cruise either unless i missed out on the latest model spec. TMAX dx has it though and i'd love to have one, but as per my original post, london scooter crime is one of the main reasons i'm shying away from a maxi nowadays, especially a popular no 1 bike like tmax.

MrGrumpy wrote:you find you've added well over a £1000 to the list price, and suddenly a conventional maxi-scoot looks quite competitively priced!
The X-ADV is better equipped as standard, though I'd still need a Scottoiler or similar.
I know fully well the bike will need a few addons as standard trim is not on par with my expectations, however, i did a quick search and made a shopping list, and my needs would be around £530 or so. As long as I do the deal aware of this fact, I can count that into the purchase price and budget accordingly. A burgman still works out more expensive like for like in year/mileage.

Also seen some really juicy 0 apr brand new deals on the NC which are very tempting. I wish they did similar deals on the burgmans too.

Take this for instance: https://www.maidstonehonda.co.uk/honda/ ... motion.htm

They are even giving £450 voucher for accessories on top!

Funkycowie wrote: Is it better than my TMax? Gut feel... yes, but I'll have to wait till March next year to really find out.
Knowing how much of a die hard tmax fan you are, seeing you have moved on to an NC has been one of the reasons that this bike intrigued me mate. If it's so good to steer you to the dark side...

Scootypuff snr wrote:I DON'T have an auto oiler and currently use WD-40 chain wax every 500 miles

Totally throwing a wild card in the mix how about a Honda crossrunner (I believe Honda are discontinuing the model as not a great seller & DCT available)
Ouch, that would mean oiling it every week or so for me with the amount of miles i'm covering, but then again i'm not changing my fjr until i get a london job anyway. Even then i'd use an auto oiler as i hate chain maintenance as much as any self respecting muppet :)

Why don't you try a cheapo solution instead, lubeman costs 22 quid and even though it may not be the most elegant solution, it still would beat having to oil it yourself?

I took a look at the crossrunner when you mentioned but its far too adventure for my liking. I actually don't like adventure type bikes at all, but the nc doesn't look that extreme to my eyes, hence why i like it (also a lot cheaper than crossrunner!)
ImageImageImageImage

NC750X DCT
FJR1300
Burgman 400 gone
Tmax 500 Sold
Burgman 650 dead...

Binje
Current Ride: Yamaha XJ6

Post by Binje »

Just buy an ncx and be happy :D

The Bern
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing 600

Post by The Bern »

halfabusa wrote: I reckon it's the dct model as it says ncx 750. The model name is normally nc750 and then if there's an X in the end it becomes dct model, so i think they just named it ncx750 in their site.
Don't think that's right bud, I'm fairly sure the X is used to differentiate it from the NCS (same basic machine but lower) IIRC both X & S models are available in either manual or DCT versions.

Mind you in this heat with a fried brain that may all be bollocks
Have wheels, will travel :D

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Post by Funkycowie »

S is the naked 'Sport' version, X is the adventure bike for Xtreme rides (lol).

They usually state NC750s DCT or NC750x DCT.

But year/revision dependent they also have other letters after their name, if it doesn't state DCT, that indicate if its manual or DCT.
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

I actually don't get on with 'auto' oilers and I thought the lubeman was the biggest pile of plastic poo ever thought up.

I've even had the all singing/dancing scotoiler which is heat variable and though I hate it a manuel inspection of the chain isn't that much of a hardship alongside the weekly safety checks.

And sadly if you visit dealerships shaft drive are becoming scarce as things are being built more down to price than up (unless you go top end BMW or crappy moto Guzzi)

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Scootypuff snr wrote:I actually don't get on with 'auto' oilers and I thought the lubeman was the biggest pile of plastic poo ever thought up.

I've even had the all singing/dancing scotoiler which is heat variable and though I hate it a manuel inspection of the chain isn't that much of a hardship alongside the weekly safety checks.

And sadly if you visit dealerships shaft drive are becoming scarce as things are being built more down to price than up (unless you go top end BMW or crappy moto Guzzi)
Obviously, I've never had any experience of any chain oilers as I've never had a bike with a chain! But if I did, I think some sort of system would be essential given my ineptitude and lack of inclination for any form of maintenance. I'd want something you'd fit and forget. When I discussed oilers with mechanics they were firm in recommending the Scottoiler E (electronic) system not the V (vacuum) system. But it costs £200 to buy, plus fitting.....

Then again, the oilers are supposed to extend chain life, but it seems impossible to guess how long your chain will last with or without an oiler, and chains (with sprockets) seem very expensive to replace.

btw I think the days of BMWs being built and designed well if expensively are long past!

Luckydave
Current Ride: Burgman 650 and others

Post by Luckydave »

Just been told by a Honda dealer that the Goldwing comes with DCT and reverse gear