Is NC750X a worthy alternative to a maxi?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
phantom309
Current Ride: nc750sa

Re: Is NC750X a worthy alternative to a maxi?

Post by phantom309 »

no the maj has gone now replaced by the X-max 300/400. the maj was aother big comfy scoot. shame everything has to be so sporty an uncomfortable these days ..gone are the days when you could ride all day an get off feeling fresh as when you got on.. now the seats seem to be ether thin or rock hard. ? WTF .
the only bike/scoot iv'e sat on an thought, wow that seems comfy, is the X-max 3/400. but not ridden one as yet .. who know maybe the next choice in the long list of owned rides...lol
Good friends don't let you do stupids thing alone .

XP500FUN
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda WibbleWing 600 Love it

Post by XP500FUN »

Its got feet forward so a big plus, though there does seem to be odd mention of choppiness at the back on rural roads in some reviews.

Anyone had or got one ?

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/r ... jesty-2009

Owner experiance below.

Two years ago I was looking for a big scoot, since I could not keep up with a friend (B650 rider) on my little chinese 150. I got to test a B400, B650, Kymco Xciting 250, Majesty and a Silverwing. Here are a few things I still remember between the two:

Majesty - I was fortunate enough to find a C/L seller who let me have the keys for a 30 minute test of a two year old model (2007) with just under 300 miles on it. Thoughts:
rear suspension could be harsh over sharp bumps (I hit some narrow/high speed bumps at various speeds to see what it would do). The butt stop would kick me in the small of the back pretty good.
motor took a little time to really kick in. Up to about 30/40 mph, it pulled away decently, but without any real torque. After 30/40 mph it pulled fairly well.
I liked the split seat but disliked the shape underneath the seat. Flat in the top half, but canted downwards in the front. If you carried a bunch of apples under there, they would all end up in the front half.
Brakes were decent, but you wouldn't lose your false teeth from over-application.
Dash was nice. I like analog gauges (showin' my age, I guess).
As a single cylinder, its got the putt putt putt sound.

Silverwing -
200 extra cc's. Whats not to like? Really, it has a whole lot more take-off and is a lot more fun from stoplight to stoplight than the Majesty. Plus, it sounds almost like a real motorcycle, being a twin and all.
The seat is slightly soft and flat. Initially I liked it, but for long days it wears on you. I have moved the butt stop up and made it a backrest - cheap and easy to do. I also use an AirHawk cushion.
The rear suspension is much nicer than the Majesty. Takes bumps pretty well. Front suspension is a little soft if you are big/heavy or if you ride real aggressively. Springs can be changed (I have), but you lose the uber-comfy around town ride. A good in-between solution would be to use thicker oil in the fork.
Brakes are stronger than the Majesty. They are also linked - squeeze the left lever and the rear brake is applied, and after a half-second delay, the middle pot of the front brake is also applied. You can still drag the rear brake in slow parking lot moves without locking up the front.
Did I mention the 200 extra cc's? You can make a whole lotta cruisers look silly with the Silverwing, especially with a J Costa installed. That's not gonna happen with the Majesty.
I don't know about the maintenance on the Majesty, but the Silverwing is a breeze. There is an access panel held in place with two screws to change the plugs in less than 10 minutes. Oil filter is easy to reach and doesn't leak all over everything. Valves are adjusted at 16000 mile intervals (hardly anyone has to adjust them), belt at 16k then every 12k miles, oil at 8k, plugs at either 8k or 12k. Forks can be dropped without touching the tupperware.

If I had bought the Majesty instead of the 'wing, I would probably have been happy (though I might have yearned for something bigger/faster/better). I got the Silverwing in part because I got a great deal on one in great shape. I look at motorcycles periodically, but can't find one that would outrun or out-handle the 'wing without being very expensive, heavy or uncomfortable.

Keep in mind that the two scoots use the same size wheels, have similar storage space, get about the same MPG (I don't know how the 38mpg crap got started - my absolute worst mpg was 44.3 mpg but 80% of my riding will get me 47-52 mpg, and this is on a little more than 11,000 miles), both have a J Costa variator available (really wakes the 'wing up!). Both have windshields best suited to shorter riders. The Silverwing has a stated weight in the shop manual of 485 pounds - I feel sure this is dry weight. ABS weight is 10 lbs. heavier. This puts the bike probably about 60-70 pounds heavier than the Majesty - a bad thing in the garage, a good thing on the highway.

Best Mark.

wozza
Benefactor
Current Ride: SEAT MO

Post by wozza »

Luckydave wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:15 am he reckons the engine is half a Jaz car engine! Is that correct?
No not at all, however, I do remember reading on another forum that the odd part number was the shared between the NC and the 1.4 Jazz.
SEAT MO

poldark
Current Ride: X9 250Evo+B650[F]+NC750X [GB]

Post by poldark »

Luckydave wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:15 am he reckons the engine is half a Jaz car engine! Is that correct?

Urban Myth, oft repeated.

What they did do was coordinate both bike & car engineers to adapt the normal bike development process, but more around design & production techniques.

The key element for the NC development was research Honda commissioned into how bikers used their machines, along with a focus to make a machine to tempt car commuters onto two wheels.
Honda NC750X DCT (2017)