No wind noise at all

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
defscoot
Current Ride: Burgman 650

No wind noise at all

Post by defscoot »

Is it possible to get no wind noise at all with the right screen on a maxi scooter?

Even touring screens seem too short to completely remove wind noise.

The only screen that looks like it would do the job is on the Burgman 650, possibly only with the clearview screen.

kayz1
Benefactor
Current Ride: Scott X-ADV75 + bmw r90s + c70

Re: No wind noise at all

Post by kayz1 »

Remove the screen completely then you will get a much better chance of eliminating the wind noise..with the right head gear..Plus lie flat as possible like the racers of the early 1900's
Sorry if that sounds trite but you are searching for the Holy Grail, if found you will make your fortune almost over night..
Lyn.

defscoot

Post by defscoot »

Well, when I said no noise at all. I really meant the harsh buffeting noise around the helmet, the type of noise that makes you need ear plugs etc.

I didn't realise that no (or massively reduced) noise was such an unattainable thing. Surely if the screen is big enough e.g. you're looking through it rather than over it then the noise would be minimum?

I say this with ignorance as I haven't been riding that long so maybe talking nonsense! :-D

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

The screen I fitted was too small so I added one of these. It has made a significant difference.

muddyfox
Benefactor
Current Ride: Yamaha 250r x max

Post by muddyfox »

defscoot this improved things vastly for me. I know it appears daft to go smaller for quietness but in my humble opinion its all about where the turbulence hits you.
http://www.maxi-muppets.co.uk/forum/vie ... er#p259564
Muddyfox (Nottingham)
Ride safe

Aaron
Current Ride: Yamaha Tmax Tech Max 2022

Post by Aaron »

I'm fussy with wind noise.

All scooters I have had (X8, PCX, Majesty, Tmax), I have bought a Givi screen and cut it down to between noise/eye level. I can just see over the top. Its the height I have found that gives you good vision, low wind noise and no buffeting.

When I cut it down you cant tell afterwards that its been modified. I cover screen with masking tape, mark a line, cut with jigsaw, then sand with a block, and sand and sand and sand with Wet/dry sandpaper. The Yamaha shop I just got my Tmax serviced at couldn't believe I had cut the screen down. To them it looked like a normal Givi screen with no sign of any modification.

Aaron

XP500FUN
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda WibbleWing 600 Love it

Post by XP500FUN »

Although most people don`t, reading around, I tend to find my std Silverwing screen just right for me.

Cuts out most of the wind and noise fairly well and goes just over me (5 10" ).

Also nice clear vision around and over it.

I don`t think I would like not much screen but also I don`t like looking through one either. or just over.

This looks fairly good and you could try cutting it down inch at a time or something until just right.

Should keep your hands warmer too in winter.

https://www.motorcycleplanet.co.uk/prod ... aha-x-max/

https://www.motorcycleplanet.co.uk/prod ... x-125-250/

I prefer the look of the starighter, nicer looking one but not sure of your scoot year.

Best Mark.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Its a subject that makes quantum mechanics straightforward! For one thing, noise and buffeting are entirely personal, and of course depend a lot on your size and the scoot.
A high screen or a low screen may both work, or not, depending on the various factors.

I think the quietest screen I ever had was the electric screen on the Pan European - when raised everything was very quiet - though, as with other high screens, there were some funny aero effects. Also, whilst a high screen might be quiet, if its too high you have to look through it, which is dangerous in rain, and a fixed high screen can make things a bit hot to ride in summer. I'm told that the electric screen on the Tmax DX is very quiet when raised.

Short screens can work - the quietest Tmax screen I had was a cut down sports screen I had on the mk1. Very quiet, but of course wind protection was very limited, so it was cold, and in winter road muck was thrown onto your visor a lot, which is NOT good. I seem to remember that the Secdem 'Racing' screen I had on the mk2 Tmax was very good - short, quiet, but protection was good. I guess that there is a sweet spot in height for every scoot, but finding it might not be easy!

Recently, I've had a lot of success with add on wind deflectors, such as the Laminar Lip, Puig deflectors and the Bike-hps screen with deflector. These have invariably reduced wind noise considerably, even where the original screen is shocking like the mk1/2 and Mk3 Tmax, though the effectiveness of each deflector can vary.

So, there are lots of possibilities, but its hard to say what will work best for any particular scoot for any particular rider!

defscoot

Post by defscoot »

muddyfox wrote:defscoot this improved things vastly for me. I know it appears daft to go smaller for quietness but in my humble opinion its all about where the turbulence hits you.
This arrived yesterday! On another post you said it helped so I ordered it. Will fit it this weekend.

muddyfox
Benefactor
Current Ride: Yamaha 250r x max

Post by muddyfox »

defscoot wrote:
muddyfox wrote:defscoot this improved things vastly for me. I know it appears daft to go smaller for quietness but in my humble opinion its all about where the turbulence hits you.
This arrived yesterday! On another post you said it helped so I ordered it. Will fit it this weekend.

Keep us updated.
Muddyfox (Nottingham)
Ride safe