TMax DX and Vodafone app

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
abitmad

TMax DX and Vodafone app

Post by abitmad »

I've had my DX for almost a year now and have received two communications from Vodafone recently. The first a couple of weeks ago was a survery asking about my experience with the app, and a couple days ago an invitation to renew it and pay the sub. The first year comes free with the bike.

I tried to reply to the survey, telling them it was unreliable shite that never even had the promised remote engine switch off feature amongst other failings, but got a message saying there was a problem with the email. This was not at my end because I was sending and receiving other emails.

Then came the renewal notice. No way am I renewing so there are two ways shown in the message to tell them. First by phone. I tried this and was put into a queue of nine. After several minutes it was down to eight and I gave up. Second by email. I sent a message saying I'm not renewing and got the same error message as above. Tried again and same result. Again it wasn't me because my other emails all worked normally. So I can't contact them, neither by phone or email. I'm not going to bother any more and it can just expire for all I care. And I was trying to be decent by informing them of my non-renewal.

I think I've mentioned before in other threads that the app is not worth having. Maybe the tracker part of it is should it be nicked but not for £100 or so a year. And if it was nicked, I probably wouldn't want it back anyway because the thieves would likely have ruined it. If someone does want a tracker, there are other aftermarket versions available.

The DX is a superb scooter with the additions over the standard model well worth having - apart from the Vodafone app.

kayz1
Benefactor
Current Ride: Scott X-ADV75 + bmw r90s + c70

Re: TMax DX and Vodafone app

Post by kayz1 »

So WHAT happened to the T-MAX that would not start does any body have details yet?
Lyn.

muddyfox
Benefactor
Current Ride: Yamaha 250r x max

Post by muddyfox »

Kayz1 I was wondering the same. His last post stated he had a loan X Max 300 until 1st August.
Muddyfox (Nottingham)
Ride safe

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

I'm certainly waiting with baited breath for the latest installment! The last we heard was that the dealer was replacing all the electronics...

abitmad

Post by abitmad »

Well I can confirm that the tracker feature of the app works, not that mine was nicked. With my agreement someone pushed the bike a short distance, maybe 25 metres or so, but didn't have the keyfob on them. I then got a theft alert text from Vodafone followed shortly by a phone call from their centre. After giving them the password I told them that there was no theft and that all was okay.

I could have set it into service mode earlier which allows it to be moved without triggering a tracker alert but forgot to do so. Anyway this aspect of the app works. But I still won't be renewing.

Wizard
Benefactor
Current Ride: Tmax 530

Post by Wizard »

This is interesting, I have a BikeTrac. But since the Tmax comes with tracking I was not going to fit it, I highly rate BikeTrac, and when I have tested it, to the annoyance of the call centre it has never failed. Tracking fees are about the same £229 for 3 years, but they allow you to move the tracker to new bikes and don’t charge for updating there systems. They even sent me a new fitting kit free.

kayz1
Benefactor
Current Ride: Scott X-ADV75 + bmw r90s + c70

Post by kayz1 »

***£229 for 3 years*** Is that for every thing? or are there extra fees when your back is turned?
Can you fit it your self or is it Dealer fit at another £300?

abitmad

Post by abitmad »

If you really want a tracker, one of the cheapest I've seen is the Monimoto:

https://monimoto.co.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobC ... gJ7UfD_BwE

It's £147 to buy followed by sub of 36 euros per year for the SIM card or actually nothing if you have your own SIM. And no installation costs because it's a DIY job, just needs to be hidden somewhere on the bike with no wiring etc. required.

The Missenden Flyer, the prolific and popular YouTube bike vlogger whom I rate highly, reviewed it here:

Apart from the major cost saving in both purchase/fitting and the sub, the essential operating difference between the Monimoto and traditional trackers is that the latter are in constant communication with the service operator and have to be wired to the bike's battery. But the Monimoto has its own disposable battery (not rechargeable) and communicates directly with the owner to their smartphone if the bike is moved when not accompanied by the fob. It appears that there's no service operator involved which explains why the sub is so modest or even zero.

The battery should last about a year if there are no alarm warnings and the replacement will be an added annual cost of around £4-5 for a leading brand.

rtfm
Current Ride: Integra 700

Post by rtfm »

Meh, thats not cheap, this is cheap: https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-GPS-Tr ... 4084.l1313

35 quid and no subscription. Needs a sim card as it's controlled by text messages but TalkTalk give you a free one with their broadband so no running costs

Great thing is you can call it and listen to what is going on and it will text you if the bike is being messed with.

I value it as more an alarm that sends me an sms than a tracker tbh though.