I have just bought 1 litre of Motul Scooter Power 10W30 grade JASO MB 4T Synthetic Oil from my Honda Dealer.

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
SOOTYGULL
Current Ride: Honda Forza 125

I have just bought 1 litre of Motul Scooter Power 10W30 grade JASO MB 4T Synthetic Oil from my Honda Dealer.

Post by SOOTYGULL »

So what you might all say ... well I know from reading past posts that some Muppets wanted it for their Honda Forza 125s and I wanted to catch peoples attention.

I paid £9.49 at JOHN BANKS HONDA CAMBRIDGE - they are also at Bury St. Edmunds.

My Forza 125 handbook says JASO MB and that's what I wanted to use.

Like a lot of Muppets, I tried other Honda dealers who fobbed me off with other oils as did
other oil brands when I contacted their UK sales people ... they said we don't sell JASO MB and you don't need it. I found this funny as in other countries these same major oil brands do sell JASO MB.
Still Scooterin'

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Re: I have just bought 1 litre of Motul Scooter Power 10W30 grade JASO MB 4T Synthetic Oil from my Honda Dealer.

Post by SH125Paul »

Says the same for the SH125...
The motul being fully synthetic right?
The Castrol motorcycle fully synth 10w30 from Halfords is quoted as MA-2...

JASO MA lubricants are suitable for all applications, MB lubricants may induce clutch slippage in motorcycles and must only be used in scooters....

Most bike dealers etc would just use 10w40 MA Semi at a service, cos thats what goes in to most bikes... MB is a niche market...

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Re: I have just bought 1 litre of Motul Scooter Power 10W30 grade JASO MB 4T Synthetic Oil from my Honda Dealer.

Post by horobags »

my local honda dealer parts man said honda suggest 10-30's across the whole range now and are stopping to stock 10-40's.
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

Greyerbeard
Current Ride: Any of the below

Post by Greyerbeard »

SOOTYGULL wrote:So what you might all say ... well I know from reading past posts that some Muppets wanted it for their Honda Forza 125s and I wanted to catch peoples attention.

I paid £9.49 at JOHN BANKS HONDA CAMBRIDGE - they are also at Bury St. Edmunds.

My Forza 125 handbook says JASO MB and that's what I wanted to use.

Like a lot of Muppets, I tried other Honda dealers who fobbed me off with other oils as did
other oil brands when I contacted their UK sales people ... they said we don't sell JASO MB and you don't need it. I found this funny as in other countries these same major oil brands do sell JASO MB.
You can get it online, no problem...but really, it doesn't matter if you use MA in a dry clutch bike; it's not going anywhere near the clutch so it's immaterial - it's more a case of NOT using MB in a wet clutch bike!
I suspect Honda recommend the MB because it may give an extra .5 of an mpg for their advertising..?
1981 Triumph T140ES
1989 Honda C90
2019 Triumph Street Scrambler 900
2021 Honda Forza 350

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Symcity »

SPECIFICATIONS / STANDARDS

Standards: API SN / SM / SL / SJ
Release: JASO MB N ° M 033 MOT 136

JASO (Japanese Automobile Standards Organization) has the
JASO T 903 its own standard for 4-stroke motorcycle engine oils
developed. The gradations MA, MA1 and MA2 facilitate
the choice of motorcycle engine oils, which specifically for wet clutches
have been developed. JASO MB stands here for a
2% reduced fuel consumption, as compared to a
Engine oil in the viscosity 10W30 and JASO MA for
particularly low frictional losses under all operating conditions.

Benefits
Smooth running viscosity allowed during a cold start, a particularly fast oil circulation, saves fuel and
protects the starter and battery against premature wear.
Ideal for use in the fall and winter seasons.
Excellent anti-oxidation, anti-corrosion and anti-foam properties
Optimized content of sulfur and phosphorus make long-term function of catalysts safe.
Low volatilization loss reduces oil consumption.
Perfect wear protection even under harsh operating conditions, such as stop and go traffic.
Specially adapted Einfüllschnorchel for comfortable and leak-free filling even with very small
Oil filling holes.

RECOMMENDATIONS AND INSTRUCTIONS
Change interval as specified by the vehicle manufacturer or adjusted depending on operating conditions.
Before using essential service documents and recommendations of the manufacturer!
CAUTION: Do not use in vehicles, when the manufacturer prescribes an oil of JASO MA released.

Properties
Colour (visual) brownish
SAE J 300 10 W-30
Density at 20 ° C ASTM D 1298 0 , 851
Viscosity at 100 ° C ASTM D 445 10 , 8 mm² / s
Viscosity at 40 ° C ASTM D 445 72 , 8 mm² / s
Viscosity index ASTM D 2270 141
Pour point ASTM D 97 -34 ° C
Flash Point ASTM D 92 228 ° C
TBN ASTM D 2896 7 1 mg KOH / g

XP500FUN
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda WibbleWing 600 Love it

Post by XP500FUN »

I tend to put 5w 40 in my van as I like the idea of the 40 shear strength.

Is 30 OK bike engine wise as its such a good oil ?

There is also castrol edge 5/30 to think about, a good bit cheaper and supposed to be good.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4L-Engine-Oi ... SwK8BbOxXX

Symcity
Benefactor

Post by Symcity »

XP500FUN wrote:I tend to put 5w 40 in my van as I like the idea of the 40 shear strength.
Is 30 OK bike engine wise as its such a good oil ?
There is also castrol edge 5/30 to think about, a good bit cheaper and supposed to be good.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4L-Engine-Oi ... SwK8BbOxXX
To be perfectly honest I think most branded oils would be fine however as small scooters use such a low quantity of engine oil why not abide by the brand and spec recommended in the owners manual although I noticed you said bike engine wise

Greyerbeard
Current Ride: Any of the below

Post by Greyerbeard »

Not hard to find - I use it in my Forza 125, as specified.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1L-2L-3L-4L- ... 1346200881
1981 Triumph T140ES
1989 Honda C90
2019 Triumph Street Scrambler 900
2021 Honda Forza 350

Symcity
Benefactor

Post by Symcity »

Greyerbeard wrote:Not hard to find - I use it in my Forza 125, as specified.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1L-2L-3L-4L- ... 1346200881
Bookmarked

Sylar
Current Ride: Forza 350-Cruisym300i

Post by Sylar »

I buy my engine oil in 5ltr lots. I just paid 24 pounds for Motul 500 10/40 semi synthetic.