My scooter has been stolen

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Re: My scooter has been stolen

Post by rayb »

Lop their hands off and then fit them with a litter-picker attachment. At the end of each day they get fed according to how much litter they have collected. Simples!

andyscooter
Benefactor
Current Ride: gilera runner vxr200

Post by andyscooter »

XP500FUN wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:21 pm Does anyone know why the police are`nt bothered,

its not so much they are not bothered they just dont have the manpower to persue this type of crime or if they do see somone on a stolen scooter they cant chase them anyway

same as burglary

not sure if you read the article but htere was a case in worcester of a 3 year old having acid thrown at him by his dad and a few mates as a revenge attack on his ex mrs

so which is more important to investigate
i was an atheist until i realised i am god
Remember its a speed limit not a target

gilera runner vxr200 (chavped)

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

Meldrew wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:57 am
rayb wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:10 am Lop their hands off and then fit them with a litter-picker attachment. At the end of each day they get fed according to how much litter they have collected. Simples!
Well Raymondo, they'd only be giving we litter pickers a bad name.

I haven't stolen anyone's scooter and I'm happy enough go out litter picking round my local area using the litter tongs and rubbish sacks I bought specifically to do the job. Simply because a lot of folk don't care or are too damn lazy to bin their litter or take it home. It's not 'their' job to pick up wind blown rubbish from their insecure recycling boxes on collection days, bin all the wrappings and containers from the sugary shite they feed their kids with in play areas, or responsibly dispose of their bags of dog shit.

There's also a few other retired old boys I see locally doing the same on their own beat,
I was only suggesting they be given something useful to do, rather than be a burden on society. A local recruitment agency here sponsors litter-pickers. I have every admiration for you and the other retired old boys. :)

Maxsymuppet
Current Ride: Maxsym 600i

Post by Maxsymuppet »

andyscooter wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:18 am
XP500FUN wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:21 pm Does anyone know why the police are`nt bothered,

its not so much they are not bothered they just dont have the manpower to persue this type of crime or if they do see somone on a stolen scooter they cant chase them anyway

same as burglary

not sure if you read the article but htere was a case in worcester of a 3 year old having acid thrown at him by his dad and a few mates as a revenge attack on his ex mrs

so which is more important to investigate
This is the real problem. With cutbacks in police numbers they have to prioritise. And investigating an acid attack on a 3 year old is a million times more important than some bloke who's had his scooter stolen. So this type of offence goes to the bottom of the list and the offenders get away with it. It's fine saying 'Chop their hands off/hang them/ put them in the army' etc, but they have to catch the bastards first. Until something changes the situation will go on.

Maxsymuppet

Post by Maxsymuppet »

Had a call from the police. It has been recovered. Damage: the panelling round the ignition and the ignition barrel itself is missing. The top case lock has been tampered with (why? it was unlocked) and there is superficial damage to the panels at the front and the transmission cover at the back wheel. I didn't see the exhaust side, so I don't know if the exhaust has been damaged from being chucked down the road. Oh yes, and my nice tall Givi screen has been snapped off. Looks like joyriders.

Could have been worse. Or better - I was hoping for either it not being found or a write-off and a shiny new one. What happens now - if the repairs are less than my £800 excess I will pay for it myself (funded by selling my Majesty) or if it is more I will sell the Majesty and just have the Maxsym.

Watch this space...

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Post by smeghead »

Burgman1958 wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:28 am Had a call from the police. It has been recovered. Damage: the panelling round the ignition and the ignition barrel itself is missing. The top case lock has been tampered with (why? it was unlocked) and there is superficial damage to the panels at the front and the transmission cover at the back wheel. I didn't see the exhaust side, so I don't know if the exhaust has been damaged from being chucked down the road. Oh yes, and my nice tall Givi screen has been snapped off. Looks like joyriders.

Could have been worse. Or better - I was hoping for either it not being found or a write-off and a shiny new one. What happens now - if the repairs are less than my £800 excess I will pay for it myself (funded by selling my Majesty) or if it is more I will sell the Majesty and just have the Maxsym.

Watch this space...
I can't see it being under £800. When my Vespa GTS was just knocked over by an idiot driver it cost over £2,000 to mend. Good luck though. £800 excess is a bit steep.

Maxsymuppet

Post by Maxsymuppet »

Considering they will replace the damaged panels rather than paint them, and the price of spares (for all makes) I think you are right Smeghead. Just hope someone hasn't thrashed the engine, leading to problems later. As to the excess, it was £2000 with my last insurer. Which they were not prepared to drop. Which is why I took my business elsewhere. The truth is I just wanted my premium to be lower and wasn't expecting to have to make a claim. My last claim (for theft of a Honda C90 which was not recovered) was in 1996.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Yes, the prices of plastic panels are not just exorbitant, they are downright insane, so it could well be written off. I don't know if cheaper or secondhand panels can be sourced (scrap yard?) to enable you to buy back the scoot and do the repairs yourself.
I remember when my mk2 Tmax was crashed (in 2007), Yamaha quoted the price of a new standard screen as £400, despite selling bigger and smaller screens as accessories for £100 approx. Work that one out......

Spoogle
Current Ride: X-Max 400 ABS

Post by Spoogle »

Hope it all goes well for you. Regarding the excess... I can't believe the excess you are charged! Horrendous amount really. I count myself lucky to have only an excess of £125 on my insurance and I would be paying that grudgingly too lol

Maxsymuppet

Post by Maxsymuppet »

MrGrumpy wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:40 pm Yes, the prices of plastic panels are not just exorbitant, they are downright insane, so it could well be written off. I don't know if cheaper or secondhand panels can be sourced (scrap yard?) to enable you to buy back the scoot and do the repairs yourself.
I remember when my mk2 Tmax was crashed (in 2007), Yamaha quoted the price of a new standard screen as £400, despite selling bigger and smaller screens as accessories for £100 approx. Work that one out......
Though the repair is likely to be, as Smeghead says, considerably more than £800, I would be surprised if they write it off. It must be worth (or was before it was stolen and damaged) at least £4500. I can't see the repair bill being more than this.

As to my excess, in retrospect I shouldn't have agreed to this much. The next time I renew I will ask for a lower one.