My scooter has been stolen

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Maxsymuppet
Current Ride: Maxsym 600i

Re: My scooter has been stolen

Post by Maxsymuppet »

muddyfox wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:11 am Loads of 24 hour bus lanes in Nottingham even though buses don't run 24 hours.
I would appeal the bus lane fine as you have, hopefully, proof the scooter was stolen during the time of the offence so you could not have been the rider.
Already have. On the local council website, quoting the crime reference number. I'm waiting to hear back, but there shouldn't be a problem.

lavila85
Current Ride: MAXSYM 600i Sport

Post by lavila85 »

I Sorry man!! I did not know, I hope you have been able to solve it...

Maxsymuppet

Post by Maxsymuppet »

Thanks Lavila85. I am waiting for the insurance to sort it out. I have seen the damage and I don't think they will write it off. So I will get it back when it has been repaired. I think the biggest delay will be waiting for the parts.

Alanzzg
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing

Post by Alanzzg »

Fingers crossed it won't be to long before you get your scooter back.
Member of The Ugly Bunch -2
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly,

Maxsymuppet

Post by Maxsymuppet »

Surprise - they have written it off. Heard from the insurance this morning. I didn't think the damage was that bad. Unless the cost of repair plus their admin costs means it is easier for them to just write it off. I didn't expect this though.

But at least it means their repairers not having to wait for SYM to supply the parts then repairing it. Only me to have it back to find there is something else the low-lifes have done to it that was not picked up by the repairers. And having to sort that out at my expense. I'm pretty sure it will never be quite the same after thieves have had their hands on it. So this way it is sorted out quicker and I get a shiny new one.

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

Burgman1958 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:20 pm Surprise - they have written it off. Heard from the insurance this morning. I didn't think the damage was that bad. Unless the cost of repair plus their admin costs means it is easier for them to just write it off. I didn't expect this though.

But at least it means their repairers not having to wait for SYM to supply the parts then repairing it. Only me to have it back to find there is something else the low-lifes have done to it that was not picked up by the repairers. And having to sort that out at my expense. I'm pretty sure it will never be quite the same after thieves have had their hands on it. So this way it is sorted out quicker and I get a shiny new one.
Yep, it's often the best result. My So had his CB500 nicked from outside his student house in his last week at Uni. We got it back, but it wasn't worth claiming on his insurance when we added the excess to what he'd lose via loss of NCD and premium hikes.

Being absolutely honest, it would have been better if it hadn't been returned. The list of things that needed fixing grew and grew. Yes, he had his bike back better than it was eventually, but it never felt the same again and cost (me) a small fortune in money and time. :o

Maxsymuppet

Post by Maxsymuppet »

Yes, I have thought from the beginning that I would prefer it if it was not found. But when it was my mind turned to getting it back. With shiny new plastics yes, but expecting problems resulting from how it was treated in the meantime. So the insurance writing it off came as a complete surprise. I am now waiting for their offer and I will take it from there.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

As I said, you wouldn't believe the cost of parts, especially panels - and they price it up by replacing any part that shows any sign of damage no matter how trivial, plus labour. Snag is of course that you'll now only get the current value of your scoot, which of course, certainly won't be enough to buy a new one.

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

MrGrumpy wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:34 pm As I said, you wouldn't believe the cost of parts, especially panels - and they price it up by replacing any part that shows any sign of damage no matter how trivial, plus labour. Snag is of course that you'll now only get the current value of your scoot, which of course, certainly won't be enough to buy a new one.
It can work out OK on odd occasions. Mrs Capitano is an independent driving instructor, and in 10 years she's had 3 cars written off by other drivers hitting her car while she was teaching.

All 3 times the offer has been more than fair, but one was so good that she was able to buy a car the same spec as the written off one, but a year newer with 30k less miles on the clock with the payout. :shock:

Maxsymuppet

Post by Maxsymuppet »

I may do quite well out of it then. I will wait and see. Whatever their offer the first thing I will do is go on Ebay and Webuyanybike.co.uk to compare the offer with asking prices for the same model of similar age then ask for more if necessary. Obviously I want to get as much as I can.