New Forza review

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
defscoot
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Re: New Forza review

Post by defscoot »

MrGrumpy wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:38 am
smeghead wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:17 am I never understand why headlights aren't the best that can be achieved on lots of bikes. Scooters are used to commute a fair bit and great lighting should be a given.
Although most people's commutes are in urban areas, which are normally lit, so the effectiveness of the headlight is not something you notice! When I was commuting, I never needed main beam - in fact, on the Bev, the (dip) headlight bulb had a habit of blowing, which I never even noticed until it went in for MOT!
I find good lighting is more important to be seen during the day. I have spots on my CB500X and they're so bright that it really helps for cagers to see me when approaching junctions during the day.

defscoot

Post by defscoot »

XP500FUN wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:25 am Defscoot, make sure you test one first 100% as its a swinging engine rear end, not great on the bumps.

There are lots of posts on Forza forums of people trying to get better shocks etc to try to help on that front.

As they seem to be putting so many eggs in the Forza basket why not go all out and sort the rear end properly with a swinging arm.

Best Mark.

PS £5k odd is pretty good value though same as the Syms and Kymco`s !!!.
Yeah, thanks will do. I'm going to try one but I have a feeling the only two scooters I will truly like for all my two wheel needs will be Honda Integra or TMax. Basically if it's a swinging engine rear end, it's never going to be as comfortable as a bike.

Damn these sh*t roads in the UK, they're forcing us to buy a different bike just to cope with the harshness of the road.

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Post by smeghead »

Damn these sh*t roads in the UK, they're forcing us to buy a different bike just to cope with the harshness of the road.
[/quote]

They are terrible around Doncaster, I try to dodge around them which is where the nimbleness of the Vespa comes in.

XP500FUN
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda WibbleWing 600 Love it

Post by XP500FUN »

Its crazy that in one of the richest countires in the world we have to suffer such shoddy roads.

When you consider the tax take from vehicles/fuel each and every day its even worse that they should be so bad.

I think those two are probably about the best to go for roads wise.

The BMW 600 650 scoots are good handling wise ( swinging arm ) and dealing with the bumps, also the 850 SRV or GP800 ( also swinging arm ) though the are not quite as good as the BMW.

I can see why you are so drawn to a scoot, there is something so magic in the way they deliver thier power and drive etc.

I don`t think I could enjoy a geared bike again like I used to now if I could even get on one.

Best Mark.

PS I did know a chap who bought a nice GP800 but decided he actually prefered his previous Silverwing, though he was a mechanic and had super sorted it etc.

defscoot

Post by defscoot »

XP500FUN wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:48 am The BMW 600 650 scoots are good handling wise ( swinging arm ) and dealing with the bumps
This one?

https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/en/model ... ldata.html

Has a swinging arm like a motorbike?

Apologies, I'm not very mechanical.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

defscoot wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:59 am
XP500FUN wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:48 am The BMW 600 650 scoots are good handling wise ( swinging arm ) and dealing with the bumps
This one?

Yes, BMW 650s, like Tmax & Kymco AK550 , Burger 650 have a rigidly mounted engine with bike-like swing arm. All the 400s (including new BMW) have (AFAIK) the traditional scooter layout.

defscoot

Post by defscoot »

MrGrumpy wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:37 am
defscoot wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:59 am
This one?

Yes, BMW 650s, like Tmax & Kymco AK550 , Burger 650 have a rigidly mounted engine with bike-like swing arm. All the 400s (including new BMW) have (AFAIK) the traditional scooter layout.
Great thanks!

And would you believe my luck, there is a BMW test drive event at my local biker cafe all weekend! Have contacted them to see if they are bringing a scooter.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

defscoot wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:51 am
And would you believe my luck, there is a BMW test drive event at my local biker cafe all weekend! Have contacted them to see if they are bringing a scooter.
Well, have a ride if they have one on demo (BMW tend to have a lot more demo bikes & scoots than other manufacturers). I rode one when they first came out and it was pretty good. But ask carefully about servicing costs before you buy - someone here was quoted something insane like £2000 for a major service! :o

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

MrGrumpy wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:06 am
defscoot wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:51 am
But ask carefully about servicing costs before you buy - someone here was quoted something insane like £2000 for a major service! :o
£1000 it worked out that with what was my annual mileage it would have been cheaper to buy a new BMW every year

defscoot

Post by defscoot »

Yowser, expensive servicing.

I suspect the scoot will be too much for me financially but at least if I get a test drive it will answer my question of how good does a bike "swing arm" scoot ride compared to traditional scooter.

Apologies, I have also hijacked this thread about Forza.

Back on topic, going to book in a test ride for the Forza too as the price is half that of the BMW and servicing will be a lot cheaper.