Tmax Upgrades

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Wizard
Benefactor
Current Ride: Tmax 530

Tmax Upgrades

Post by Wizard »

I’m new to scooters, what’s the benefits in adding Dr pulley rollers.

Also what does an overrun pulley do, I notice malossi do a kit.

Any other recommended mods.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: Tmax Upgrades

Post by MrGrumpy »

I'm sure that there are better experts on here, but doing things to the variator can improve performance. The DrPulley sliding roller thingies seem an easy way of improving variator performance - principally on acceleration. In general lighter weight rollers allow the scoot to use more revs when accelerating, although the different design on the DrPulley weights is supposed to allow a wider range of ratio (there's a video somewhere on the web). The effect can vary from scoot to scoot and Tmax to Tmax depending on how good or bad the design of the original variator was. Eg early Tmaxs (mk1 to mk3) were quite stodgy in the mid range - adding DrPulley sliders to the mk3 improves acceleration quite wonderfully. On the other hand, the mk6 goes so well, I wouldn't bother with any mods.
You can also fit aftermarket variators (Malossi, JCosta), but the DrPulley Sliders seem to have the same effect, or it may be possible just to fit lighter weights.
No idea about the overrun pulley - I guess it just gives a wider range of ratio.

SkuTorr
Benefactor
Current Ride: Tmax Mk3

Post by SkuTorr »

Along the same line, I finally replaced my original drive belt at 22,000 miles (!) and while I was in there inspected everything. All 4 pulley halves were pristine, no wear or scoring. The Dr. pulley Sliders, which now had over 16,000 miles on them had essentially NO WEAR at all. :D Now that's a product I like!

I upgraded my contra spring to a Malossi "yellow" one, 7% stiffer,
https://scooterpartsco.com/malossi/01-m ... d017976aff

along with the Malossi Torsion Controller.
https://scooterpartsco.com/malossi/01-m ... d017976aff

"Downshifts" at full throttle now show an RPM increase of 1,000 VS the 700 stock. Nice increase in mid-range overtaking, and the new Controller is SMOOTH! 8-)
2009 Tmax with OODLES of upgrades!
2009 Majesty 400 (sold)
2007 Aprilia Mojito 150 (sold)

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Post by Funkycowie »

No point in doing the JCosta or Malossi unless you have money to waste, both have similar wear & tear to rollers or want to try a track day on your TMax. Now with that said...

Dr Pulleys: Do not go too low on the rollers weight 1g lighter will give a good increase. I know it doesn't sound much but there are 8 in there.

Contra Spring: I agree with SkuTorr

Sparkplug: Brisk LGS multispark AOR14LGS was what I got for the MK3, as you have a later revision TMax I am not sure what they use but if you can get the multispark version of the right format then do it, if not, what ever highest quality Brisk plug will be better than standard.

Sprint Airfilter: Increased airflow, only ever need one for the life time of the scoot. If they do one for the TMax revision you have then get one.

Getting all these will cost as much as a JCosta or Malossi variator and give you much better performance.
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

SkuTorr
Benefactor
Current Ride: Tmax Mk3

Post by SkuTorr »

I'm running 16.5 gram Dr. Pulleys (1/2 15 gm, 1/2 18 gm). 16 or 17 gram will be fine.
2009 Tmax with OODLES of upgrades!
2009 Majesty 400 (sold)
2007 Aprilia Mojito 150 (sold)

Pukmeister
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2011 Tmax + 2019 R1250GSA

Tmax Upgrades

Post by Pukmeister »

That’s good to know, I just got a set of 16 Gram Dr Pulley rollers plus new sliders for my Mk3’s variator to improve its take up from the lights. Top end is fine but acceleration is lacking a little as standard. Sounds like I need to get a new spring too along with the variator service tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Pukmeister wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:04 am That’s good to know, I just got a set of 16 Gram Dr Pulley rollers plus new sliders for my Mk3’s variator to improve its take up from the lights. Top end is fine but acceleration is lacking a little as standard. Sounds like I need to get a new spring too along with the variator service tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe - but I think you'll find that the DrPuley sliding roller thingies will make such a difference that unless you are replacing any other bits anyway, it won't be worth buying any thing else. The mk3 as standard was all about the top end -acceleration at low speeds was stodgy.
By the way, where did you get your DrPulley bits? I tried to order them from Maksor for my mk1 but they were permenently on back order.

Pukmeister
Benefactor

Post by Pukmeister »

Thanks Mr Grumpy.

I got my Dr Pulley parts from a scooter shop in Taiwan via eBay. They took about a week to arrive in UK and no import duty was charged.

What benefit does changing the contra spring give ??

I meant to make a variator holding tool at work but been too busy, I'm probably just going to save time and buy one then fit the new weights and sliders.

Pukmeister
Benefactor

Post by Pukmeister »

The eBay seller for Dr Pulley was called dragonparts0204 and the items were listed in US dollars. Paypal sorts all that out at point of payment.

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Post by Funkycowie »

http://drpulley.shopnix.de/ sell Dr Pulley parts, they are Germany.
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...