BMW event.

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
XP500FUN
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda WibbleWing 600 Love it

Re: BMW event.

Post by XP500FUN »

I nearly went but was tied up with my youngest all weekend, and I can`t afford a BMW anyway sadly.

I love my silverwing, bit of odd handling asside etc, and I do like the simple do much of the servicing etc yourself type thing.

Just the letters BMW sound expensive to me.

Saying that my eldest son has an R1100RT he loves and bought it cheap enough.

But even when you go non BMW servicing you can pay out on it.

He recently took it in to small MC place for odd bits and 2 fork seals, only to find later he was charged for both but only one seal was done.

He just won`t go there again. £125 + for one fork seal is pretty serious I think ?

And doing the oil, oil filter, air filter and fuel filter was going to be £125 just for the labour not including the parts, oil etc so he left that. BMW ? etc.

Be interesting to see if we do come out of Europe if they disentangle all the hard going Motorcycle licience rules etc

But I somehow doubt it as they just imposed 116 new MOT rules from the EU they could of said we won`t bother thanks we`re off.

Best Mark.

kayz1
Benefactor
Current Ride: Scott X-ADV75 + bmw r90s + c70

Post by kayz1 »

The BMW 1100 engine was/is a cracker....every thing can be done at home and not at those prices, last of the proper BM's the 1100's

XP500FUN
Benefactor

Post by XP500FUN »

Yes my son loves it.

But we are not so handy. Though I did do the Krypton Factor rear wheel out and back in on my Silverwing last week.

But he is going to hit Youtube etc so will work towards doing more himself. Should join a forum too.

Especially after this bad luck going on cost wise.

We have a family member who recently bought a 2006 GS1200GS but he thinks its sluggish etc, but my son thinks his ( 96 ) 1100 goes brilliantly.

Best Mark.

PS my poor old body can`t cope with the R1100RT at all though.

XP500FUN
Benefactor

Post by XP500FUN »

I agree I wouldn`t go back to a geared bike now.

I love all the varoius handiness of a scoot too, but the simple CVT one gear is just superb.

I always liked hitting the sweet spot in say 4th or 5th on a bike but with a cvt you are there all the time.

I still get a bit of left foot twitch now and again but the odd time I`ve ridden a geared bike since going scoot, I found it a going on really.

RE the BMW 400 I don`t think its a winner myself, not made by them, Unit swing and looks pretty odd.But not pretty.

Best Mark.

defscoot
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Post by defscoot »

I love the CVT gearbox, so smooth and always in exactly the correct ratio for the current situation.

Like Meldrew, I had chance to ride any of the BMW range but was only interested in the 650GT scoot.

I was thinking about that on the ride home, I am just drawn to scooters, I can't explain it.

I like riding my CB500X but if I'm at some biker meet and there is a scooter, I'm more interested in the scooter than any of the bikes there.

charles1976
Current Ride: shopping around

Post by charles1976 »

Had a demo on a 650gt a few years back, really liked it alot and thought it was better than the burg 650 however....massive service costs put me off!!

newscooter
Benefactor
Current Ride: Grinnall BMW trike

Post by newscooter »

BMW=Bring More Wonga !

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Post by smeghead »

Bloody hell £1899 for a service. What on earth are they going to do for that amount of cash? I'd imagine that would seriously dent second hand prices, if you knew a 2K bill was looming you'd need a very seriously cheap deal.

XP500FUN
Benefactor

Post by XP500FUN »

Flippin Nora etc.

I paid £1700 for my Silverwing with 8K on.

Thats how I would like to spend just less than that amount of money.

That must be cams out and valves done, but even then crieky etc !!!

What on earth could they be doing for that amount of money.

Best Mark.

Wizard
Benefactor
Current Ride: Tmax 530

Post by Wizard »

I asked BMW about the service costs, as I considered a 650GT, 6k service £600+, 12k service £1000+ and 24k service £1500+

That's where my liking for the 650 stopped.