BMW event.

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: BMW event.

Post by MrGrumpy »

smeghead wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:01 am Bloody hell £1899 for a service. What on earth are they going to do for that amount of cash? I'd imagine that would seriously dent second hand prices, if you knew a 2K bill was looming you'd need a very seriously cheap deal.
No, I think that was the entire servicing bill over that period, not for a single service.

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Post by smeghead »

MrGrumpy wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:01 am
smeghead wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:01 am Bloody hell £1899 for a service. What on earth are they going to do for that amount of cash? I'd imagine that would seriously dent second hand prices, if you knew a 2K bill was looming you'd need a very seriously cheap deal.
No, I think that was the entire servicing bill over that period, not for a single service.
Still taking the piss though.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Wizard wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:22 am I asked BMW about the service costs, as I considered a 650GT, 6k service £600+, 12k service £1000+ and 24k service £1500+

That's where my liking for the 650 stopped.
Well, yes, that's where my consideration of a BMW ended as well, though these prices are marginally less than those quoted to someone else on here, if I recall correctly!

I really can't imagine how BMW get to these prices...even the 6k service price is ridiculous, considering that nothing major is changed. At 12k the V-belt has to be changed, which they seem to charge a huge amount for. It makes things worse that BMW demand that the chain & sprockets in the final drive be changed regularly, despite running in an oil bath. BMW seem to charge at least £500 for that alone, which seems wildly excessive. Contrast with Tmaxs with a similar system, where the oil in the final drive has to be changed at 12k, but the chain etc never needs changing (its a special sort of chain I think).

Meldrew points out that many of us may never to the mileages where these things come into play - yes, if you buy new, but even though I only do 4000 miles a year on each Tmax, these things do come around if you keep your scoot for a while. And if you buy one secondhand, you could well find the big services are imminent.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

smeghead wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:10 am
MrGrumpy wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:01 am
Still taking the piss though.
Yup!

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Meldrew wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:28 am

Yes, my mistake I had another look and it's for a 3 or 5 Year Service Package for a C-Series scooter. I wouldn't write the BMW C650 GT off, as I had that ride on a cold blustery day with a rain shower thrown in, but it did highlight to me it's inadequate wind and weather protection for a £1050 maxi scooter.
I assume you mean a £10,500 scooter :lol: Those 0s are very important...
Interesting to know that the GT's weather protection was poor - disappointing. I don't recall the protection on the C600S being poor, but it was a pretty warm day, so I probably wouldn't have noticed. The screen was OK.

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

The point Meldrew is highlighting is us 'short termers' like all the BMW range aren't supposed to keep it 5 years. They aim for folk to buy on PCP cover a max of 4K per year between cafe stops then hand it back for our next rental.
Thus controlling residual values and the S/H market.

If BMW dealerships weren't so up their own arse I might have considered the new RT1200 but at 18K and a sanctimonious attitude my money goes elsewhere.

And as my mate pointed out today leaving the HD dealership the odds of me owning only 1 bike odds are better on the lottery win

XP500FUN
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda WibbleWing 600 Love it

Post by XP500FUN »

So has it got you you going to go for something bigger scoot wise Defscoot, or you will surely pop soon !!!

With new tyres on each end my Silverwing seems to have really perked itself up a bit.

Half decernt one on Gumtree for £700 at the moment.

But if you could pick up a post 2008 with a few miles on for around £1500 you might be surrpised, handy with your legs and height etc too.

A nice black 2007 with a sesnsor went for £1400 in newcastle not long ago.

Best Mark.

defscoot
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Post by defscoot »

I've been looking at Silverwings or Burgman 650's at the moment. Loads of Burgers around me but Silverwings seem to be rare.

I might have to travel to look at one of them.

The one on gumtree for £700, is that the Manchester one? If so, I thought the miles were too high on it. 43k.

XP500FUN
Benefactor

Post by XP500FUN »

Hi yes that was the one, this one on ebay in Hexam should go for a bit less, black and has the sensor so 60+ MPGs.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2007-57-Hond ... SwTa5bT0~v

The black ones look the business too. Plus got the wind deflectors on.

Might be worth an offer or a test ride. 33K is OK if the right price.

Best Mark.

This isn`t a bad buy

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-SILVER ... Swa81bWJXK

XP500FUN
Benefactor

Post by XP500FUN »

The red Silverwing is down to £650 !!!

Looks ok for that plus new tyres

Best Mark.