BMW event.

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
defscoot
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Re: BMW event.

Post by defscoot »

Surely 43k miles is on the limit before need engine work?

Speaking from ignorance here of course.

Can you (or anyone) clarify how many miles a scooter like a Silverwing 600 will do before I'm into high maintenance or engine rebuild?

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

defscoot wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:21 am Surely 43k miles is on the limit before need engine work?

Speaking from ignorance here of course.

Can you (or anyone) clarify how many miles a scooter like a Silverwing 600 will do before I'm into high maintenance or engine rebuild?

They used to say 48k was about the max expected from bike engines but it's all down to fettling.

A silverwing recently sold with 178K miles on the clock as I recall all dealer serviced (think Kayz1) commented.

Love your bike it'll love you back,

trouble is I think one owner care is the secret reading forums many think oil is built in for life (youngsters) & we've in a disposable society so folk don't need to cherish their machine.

I had a conversation the other day & aside the 'trad' scooter rallys not many group tours are on bikes more than 4/5 years old now

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

I always thought that if you do the required maintenance on an engine, especially changing oil, then it will last a seriously long time. There are parts that need replacing but only the big bits wear out. Of course, with a secondhand scoot, you really don't know how the previous owner(s) looked after it not.

btw - a thought just occurred - Do scooter engines have cam belts or cam chains? Unlike cars, I've never heard of a scooter engine requiring a cam belt change. The Tmax has a chain, doesn't it???? (At the limit of my technical knowledge here!)

XP500FUN
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda WibbleWing 600 Love it

Post by XP500FUN »

I heard you can rely on a good 50K + with a Silverwing, but people on the SW forum have had way more than that.

If I was stuck for a bike its give it a go for that price.

Steady riding and plenty of oil changes they should do 80K plus I would of thought.

There as a T max on Gumtree or somewhere a while ago with 98K odd on it !!!!

But a much better 8K option has hoved in to view so Maxi panic averted.

Best Mark.

Aaron
Current Ride: Yamaha Tmax Tech Max 2022

Post by Aaron »

MrGrumpy wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:01 am I always thought that if you do the required maintenance on an engine, especially changing oil, then it will last a seriously long time. There are parts that need replacing but only the big bits wear out. Of course, with a secondhand scoot, you really don't know how the previous owner(s) looked after it not.

btw - a thought just occurred - Do scooter engines have cam belts or cam chains? Unlike cars, I've never heard of a scooter engine requiring a cam belt change. The Tmax has a chain, doesn't it???? (At the limit of my technical knowledge here!)
I looked this up for you -- see below. Seems my Mk4 does have a cam chain (so all other Tmax's would be the same). I also looked up the price, and it says it would cost £21.06 for the cam chain
Tmax cam chain.jpg

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

£21.06?That sounds remarkably cheap!! Of course, the labour required to strip most the engine to get to it would be astronomical.