BMW event.

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
defscoot
Current Ride: Burgman 650

BMW event.

Post by defscoot »

They have three scooters at the test drive event at Squires Cafe.

650 sport, gt and electric one.

Booked to test the gt at 2pm.

It looks awesome!

I’ll post what it was like to ride a bit later.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gjwcoephwtjy ... 83JBa?dl=0

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: BMW event.

Post by MrGrumpy »

Look forward to reading it.

XP500FUN
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda WibbleWing 600 Love it

Post by XP500FUN »

Great stuff, looking forward too.

Wish I had the cash for even a nice 2nd hand one of these.

Best Mark.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

You wish you had the bank balance to service on them as well!

defscoot

Post by defscoot »

Thoroughly enjoyed riding the 650GT.

It was difficult to fully concentrate on the scoot as it was very windy and riding in a group meant I had to concentrate on other things.

However, it was very comfy and handled just like my CB500X which I was very surprised at.

It was very quick too, a little turn of the throttle and you were up to 70 in no time.

It felt very big but with a low centre of gravity was very easy to handle at low speed/stopping etc.

It had an electric screen which I did play with but I found that either all the way down or fully up and I still had buffeting (5'10" 29" inside leg). I reckon a deflector or extender on the top of the screen would stop all buffeting.

Very comfy riding position, being able to fully extend my leg when just cruising was a very relaxed riding position. I moved my feet back when I had to navigate a junction or stop.

Couldn't tell it was a CVT, no whine or high revs, it just pulled at low revs which was nice.

It was night and day in comparison with my XMAX 125 but I guess that is to be expected due to the price difference.

I'm going to book another test ride where I can spend a bit more time on it. Might look at a second hand one once I've investigated service intervals/costs.

Spoke to Meldrew while I was there, it was nice to meet another maxi muppet!

defscoot

Post by defscoot »

Meldrew wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:36 pm the indicator repeater light on the dash is far too small.
Agree with that, I had to really look hard to check I was indicating.
Meldrew wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:36 pm Getting back on my Silver Wing to ride back to York a few minutes after getting off the BMW, everything returned to being smoother, quieter, warmer, and unaffected by the blustery weather.
Hmmm, perhaps the reason for me being impressed was because it's a bigger cc scooter not specifically the BMW. I need to try more bigger scoots as I only have the XMAX 125 to compare to.

Going to try a Silverwing seeing as you speak so highly of them Meldrew.

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Post by smeghead »

Never ridden a bmw scooter but did have a Silverwing for a while. They are very stable. The day I picked it up it was very blustery and my Majesty 400 was blowing all over the A1! Coming home on the Wing was much quieter, smooth and uneventful. I fitted an Airflow too, made it even better, it had wind deflectors too.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

I test rode the C600 Sport when it first came out (the current version is an evolution of that). I remember liking the firm but compliant ride, and lovely noise it made when ridden hard (kind of like a V8 car). I seem to remember that it went well, though not so much faster than a Tmax than I expected. I also remember being puzzled by the handling - it didn't seem to encourage me to try hard going round corners for some reason - no doubt requires a b it of familiarisation. Didn't like the low speed vibes and the flexi-luggage space struck me as good idea done badly.
Overall, I thought it was good, but not sufficiently good to tempt me away from the Tmax - I had a mk3 at the time, and bought a mk4 afterwards, and the mk4 felt rather more like the BMW than the mk3.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Data is a valuable thing these days! There probably was a little bit of text in 2pt font and a tiny box to tick if you didn't want your details passed on to third parties.

defscoot

Post by defscoot »

Meldrew wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:20 am Due to going along to that BMW Road Show at Squire's on Saturday, I had a phone call earlier this afternoon from a very nice lady at Barrie Robson Motorcycles, the BMW dealership in York, enquiring when I'd like to have a ride on their BMW C650 Sport.
Guess I'll be getting a call too then. I never gave it a second thought about giving my details out.