Bought a Burgman 650!

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Greyerbeard
Current Ride: Any of the below

Re: Bought a Burgman 650!

Post by Greyerbeard »

defscoot wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:30 pm
Just have to get used to never been nodded at again by bikers... I think I can live with that. :-D
Funny thing is...on the Yamaha 'Max' bikes at least - you DO get nodded at. Maybe it looks like an R1 from the front; you can almost sense the puzzlement when they realise I'm sitting back in comfort with my feet up... :lol:
1981 Triumph T140ES
1989 Honda C90
2019 Triumph Street Scrambler 900
2021 Honda Forza 350

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Luckydave wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:17 am heavy old beast to push around I’ve found having engine running makes pushing backwards easier.
Yeah, I found that, though not quite sure why! Much easier to push around when it was warmed up, but a swine when it was cold. I got pissed off with the centrestand interlock switch seizing marooning you in low ratio, requiring you to lay underneath the scoot to free it. Very executive...

Spoogle
Current Ride: X-Max 400 ABS

Post by Spoogle »

Greyerbeard wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:27 am
defscoot wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:30 pm
Just have to get used to never been nodded at again by bikers... I think I can live with that. :-D
Funny thing is...on the Yamaha 'Max' bikes at least - you DO get nodded at. Maybe it looks like an R1 from the front; you can almost sense the puzzlement when they realise I'm sitting back in comfort with my feet up... :lol:
I know exactly what you mean Greyerbeard… I am sitting on an Xmax 400 these days and notice more nods than previously when on other scooters.

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Post by smeghead »

I get quite a number of nods/waves from bikers, Harley too oddly enough. Never had a wave from a Silverwing around York though. :kiss:

defscoot
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Post by defscoot »

Meldrew wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:01 am I find this need to be nodded and waved at by passing bikers both baffling and amusing, and I'll happily admit I stopped playing the game years ago. I've found it's about 50% of riders that will wave and nod at me and the other 50% don't and just ride past. So for all I know they're kindred spirits and aren't into all this nodding and waving bollocks either, and it's nothing to do with being me riding a maxi scooter large or small.
I guess for me as a brand new biker I was quite surprised by (and enjoyed) the 'acceptance' by bikers. I liked the fact that people nodded and waved and also spoke to me when I was parked up or at some biker cafe.

However, over the last few months visiting such places I've come to the conclusion that apart from being on two wheels, I don't have anything in common with the majority of them.

I'm not a petrol head or one who enjoys speed, hence why I'm going the scooter route.

For me, being on two wheels is all about visiting and exploring new places on my bike. Stopping for coffee/cake and taking pictures with my camera.

Just enjoying being out in nature on two wheels is fantastic for me. I do enjoy controlling and riding the bike but I more enjoying riding safely and smoothly rather than going fast.

The bikers I have met and spoke to have different views to me, to them, the bike is everything. Pushing the bike to it's limit, cornering, engines, exhausts are what it's all about for them. I even know someone who went to the Alps and hardly noticed the amazing scenery because he was doing 150mph everywhere so needed to concentrate.

So now, knowing I don't have anything in common with most of them, I don't require or miss the nods.

I still want to be part of a bigger group though, hence me being on forums like this and Facebook groups for maxi scooters. I think I have more in common with scooter riders than bikers but I could be wrong on that front too.

XP500FUN
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda WibbleWing 600 Love it

Post by XP500FUN »

You`ll still get a few nods anyway on a 650 Burgman. I get lots on a black silverwing as it looks very bikey from the front.

I think its more some people nod and some don`t.

But most maxi scooter riders are older bikers anyway or someone who has seen the light before the cronkies hit home..

On a busy biker type day it can get hard work with all the nodding.

Sounds to me as if the Burgman will be your ideal scoot to mooch around on and take in the scenery etc.

And still do the odd blast when you fancy it.

Really looking forward to hearing how your first proper out of the way ride goes.

Out of interest how did it feel compared to the BMW, even though just two short stints.

Easier feet down I expect. It must of felt good.

Best Mark.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

XP500FUN wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:20 am You`ll still get a few nods anyway on a 650 Burgman. I get lots on a black silverwing as it looks very bikey from the front.

I think its more some people nod and some don`t.

Has anyone else noticed that the fashion seems to have changed this year? It now seems the thing to wave rather than nod, or that funny sideways headshake I could never get the hang of...

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

@defscoot
the reason crotch rocket monkies are obsessed with the speed & cornering etc is because wearing one piece leathers you can't eat cake & drink coffee as you can't zip them back on
Not an issue for the relaxed scooterist about town (& country)

defscoot
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Post by defscoot »

Scootypuff snr wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:37 pm @defscoot
the reason crotch rocket monkies are obsessed with the speed & cornering etc is because wearing one piece leathers you can't eat cake & drink coffee as you can't zip them back on
Not an issue for the relaxed scooterist about town (& country)
haha :-D

I certainly couldn't get into leathers!

SkuTorr
Benefactor
Current Ride: Tmax Mk3

Post by SkuTorr »

Make sure you change out the primary pulley Stopper Bolt, they all FAIL eventually and take the belt with them. Ask Burgman 650 people about it...

https://www.ebay.com/i/132614158328?chn=ps

Cheaper:
http://www.2wheelpros.com/oem-parts/suz ... 6GEALw_wcB
s-l1600.jpg
It's part #17, at the BOTTOM in the diagram:
0000103331.gif
2009 Tmax with OODLES of upgrades!
2009 Majesty 400 (sold)
2007 Aprilia Mojito 150 (sold)