Bought a Burgman 650!

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
defscoot
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Bought a Burgman 650!

Post by defscoot »

Those of you who post here regularly will no doubt have seen my many posts about trying to find a maxi scoot to replace my CB500X and XMAX 125.

Well, I've bought a 2013 Burgman 650, 8000 miles. It's in excellent condition, fully service history and will be serviced/MOT'd before I pick it up on Saturday.

I'm trading in the Xmax 125 against it and almost got my money back on that so that's good.

CB500X will be sold but most of the sale price will pay off the remaining finance on that bike.

Really looking forward to picking it up, I was really surprised with the size/presence and comfort. Only had a short test ride but was suitably impressed.

It comes with a GIVI top box so with under seat too, there's plenty of storage right from the start which is good.

I'll post pictures when I pick it up on Saturday.

Just have to get used to never been nodded at again by bikers... I think I can live with that. :-D

Scootypuff snr

Re: Bought a Burgman 650!

Post by Scootypuff snr »

congratulations.

looking forward to the pictures

XP500FUN
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda WibbleWing 600 Love it

Post by XP500FUN »

Great stuff, you will love it.

The engines are superb.

Should get your leg and upper arm muscles worked up too.

Compared to the 125 it will be like floating along in an armchair, a very powerful, lovely armchair.

Can`t wait to see the pics and hear how good it is.

Best Mark.

charles1976
Current Ride: shopping around

Post by charles1976 »

Is it the updated shape.....Good bikes awesome engine noise

defscoot

Post by defscoot »

XP500FUN wrote:Great stuff, you will love it.

The engines are superb.

Should get your leg and upper arm muscles worked up too.

Compared to the 125 it will be like floating along in an armchair, a very powerful, lovely armchair.

Can`t wait to see the pics and hear how good it is.

Best Mark.
Armchair sounds perfect! Just what I’m looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

defscoot

Post by defscoot »

charles1976 wrote:Is it the updated shape.....Good bikes awesome engine noise
Yeah, new shape one. Could tell by looking at dash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XP500FUN
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda WibbleWing 600 Love it

Post by XP500FUN »

No not had one, spoken to owners, heard them, looked them over and read plenty of reviews and posts etc.

There are plenty of bikes and cars I or anyone know are really good and loved by thier keepers.

He will be well chuffed.

Its a huge step up from a 125 unit swing scooter in all ways.

Maybe a little heavy in some situations but a superb machine going by many very happy owners.

Be nice to keep this a possitive and happy thread.

Well done and many happy miles on it.

Best Mark.

Luckydave
Current Ride: Burgman 650 and others

Post by Luckydave »

You will love it I’m certain of that.But be aware that Suzuki quality ( lol ) means corrosion will be eating away even on a 2013 low miler.I love the gearbox on my 2016 model and all the storage space,heavy old beast to push around I’ve found having engine running makes pushing backwards easier.What colour is yours?

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Post by smeghead »

Floating along in an armchair sounds good to me, enjoy the scooter.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

defscoot, the 650 Burgman is brilliant, especially the latest shape one. I owned the 400 for 5 years but rode the earlier 650 for a couple of years for my work (it was a works bike). I've had the motors apart on these, and although yours is a much modified engine over the earlier versions, the mechanicals are very similar, but stronger!

Would recommend the use of Waxoyl and FS365 if riding in winter conditions. My 400 looked in mint condition after 5 years use. I had the bodywork off and sprayed Waxoyl over the frame and petrol tank. I used to wipe over the rear shock unit with FS365 regularly and spray that in vulnerable areas in winter as it is a salt neutraliser/blocker. I had no rust whatsoever anywhere on my Burgman.

I had no problems with the 650 but for a transmission belt breakage on the works 650 at 45,000 miles and that took out the transmission bearings too. 45,000 miles is a bit early for a failure, they normally go much further than that. It turned out the guy who used it before me had not followed Suzuki's running in instructions and had done the 'full throttle' Motoman thing which we now know stresses the steel belt and causes it to get too hot, thus weakening it. Suzuki warns against that during running in now in the manual. Anyhoo...I fixed it which took me two long days of continuous hard graft under the supervision of a qualified Suzuki tech who gave me some pointers. You don't have to take the engine out but it's easier if you do. So I did that. I then replaced the belt on another 650 all on my own and that took me two days also. Actually hours worked on each bike was over 22-23 hours. It was exhausting. Imagine how much that would cost if you had to pay someone to do it. The good news is that the transmissions on the new ones is much less likely to break a belt until very very large mileages. Suzuki has reduced the friction within the gear train which lightens the load on the belt, making it last much longer.

Post regularly with your exploits. I'd like to hear them and what you think of the bike when you get it. I'm guessing you'll love it forever!
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...