Modification friendly insurance

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
halfabusa
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda NC750X DCT

Modification friendly insurance

Post by halfabusa »

Do the muppet collective have any tips on how to look out for reasonable quotes on modified bikes? I am not talking about performance mods, but rather safety/comfort related ones, such as engine crash bars, windscreen, fog lights, heated grips, etc.

The usual comparethemarket style aggregator sites don't seem to have the option to add more than 5 or so mods, and the quotes returned are not easy on the eye to say the least.

Are there insurance brokers out there that would be kinder to modded bikes?
ImageImageImageImage

NC750X DCT
FJR1300
Burgman 400 gone
Tmax 500 Sold
Burgman 650 dead...

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Re: Modification friendly insurance

Post by smeghead »

Whenever I've told insurers about minor mods such as screens, top boxes, tow bars on cars etc. it's never affected my premiums.

Luckydave
Current Ride: Burgman 650 and others

Post by Luckydave »

I use Peter James to insure my bikes,they know what a bike is unlike most of the fuckwits at other companies Carole Nash would refer to my Jota as a Joker ffs!!! I have difficulty insuring my modified Harley ( rarely see a stock one lol ) Peter James have no issues with all the non standard parts and engine upgrade on my bike and give good cover on other bikes on same policy

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

halfabusa wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:00 am Do the muppet collective have any tips on how to look out for reasonable quotes on modified bikes? I am not talking about performance mods, but rather safety/comfort related ones, such as engine crash bars, windscreen, fog lights, heated grips, etc.
These aren't modifications, but accessories - including such things as luggage, and as such shouldn't affect the premium. My insurers don't seem interested in knowing exactly what accessories I have. If it doesn't effect performance, is not a modification.

The Bern
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing 600

Post by The Bern »

MrGrumpy wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:44 am
halfabusa wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:00 am Do the muppet collective have any tips on how to look out for reasonable quotes on modified bikes? I am not talking about performance mods, but rather safety/comfort related ones, such as engine crash bars, windscreen, fog lights, heated grips, etc.
These aren't modifications, but accessories - including such things as luggage, and as such shouldn't affect the premium. My insurers don't seem interested in knowing exactly what accessories I have. If it doesn't effect performance, is not a modification.
The thinking behind insurance companies listing accesories is that they can add value to the machine & hence a larger claim amount, so potentially the premium may increase.
Have wheels, will travel :D

halfabusa
Benefactor

Post by halfabusa »

Luckydave wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:41 am I use Peter James to insure my bikes,they know what a bike is unlike most of the fuckwits at other companies Carole Nash would refer to my Jota as a Joker ffs!!! I have difficulty insuring my modified Harley ( rarely see a stock one lol ) Peter James have no issues with all the non standard parts and engine upgrade on my bike and give good cover on other bikes on same policy
Do you call them to get a quote? I just did a quick check on their website and it looks like they only list classic bikes to insure.
ImageImageImageImage

NC750X DCT
FJR1300
Burgman 400 gone
Tmax 500 Sold
Burgman 650 dead...

halfabusa
Benefactor

Post by halfabusa »

The Bern wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:57 am
MrGrumpy wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:44 am
The thinking behind insurance companies listing accesories is that they can add value to the machine & hence a larger claim amount, so potentially the premium may increase.
I get that may be the reason but even when I added 5 mods out of a potential 10+ to test it out, I was quoted 800+ instead of 450ish on an nc750x. Surely 5 accessories shouldn't increase the quote by that much!
ImageImageImageImage

NC750X DCT
FJR1300
Burgman 400 gone
Tmax 500 Sold
Burgman 650 dead...

halfabusa
Benefactor

Post by halfabusa »

Just out of curiousity i got a quote from MCE and searched in their policy wording about modifications. (There was no option to select any modifications/accessories in their quote pages)

It says:

• There will be no cover in force if your motorcycle is fitted with a Turbocharger, Supercharger, Hypercharger,
or Nitrous Oxide conversion or has been converted from a motorcycle to a trike. We will only pay the cost of
replacing parts or equipment needed for your motorcycle to meet the manufacturers standard specification.
• Accessories and modifications are not covered by this policy. In the event of a claim, we will only pay the
cost of replacing parts or equipment needed for your motorcycle to meet the manufacturers standard
specification.

So fair enough that they don't cover accessories but they don't say the claim would be refused if not declared either... Maybe they don't care at all? Suppose I'd need to call them up to find out what's what...
ImageImageImageImage

NC750X DCT
FJR1300
Burgman 400 gone
Tmax 500 Sold
Burgman 650 dead...

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

That's interesting...that's not what I thought my policy covered, so I'd better read the documentation!
In the case of a write off, it looks as if MCE will only give you the value of the bike with no allowance for the value of any accessories - it seems mean, but there again, if you traded it in, a dealer would add very little extra for any accessories you had fitted. You would be entitled to salvage any accessories that weren't damaged from the wreck I presume.
In case of repair, then you'd hope that your accessories wouldn't be damaged in the accident - though topboxes and screens are vulnerable to damage. In the case of the accident not being your fault, you could in principle add the cost of lost accessories to your claim for damages against the other party (on top of compensation for injuries, sick pay, insurance excess etc), though the amount you actually get if you succeed is pretty arbitrary.

Luckydave
Current Ride: Burgman 650 and others

Post by Luckydave »

I always ring Peter James.Another reason I use them is there is only a £15 admin fee to add another bike,Ideal if you like to add bikes through the year