One Two Wheeler That Does Everything - Impossible! - X-ADV disappoints

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

One Two Wheeler That Does Everything - Impossible! - X-ADV disappoints

Post by roadster »

Scooter:-
Plenty of storage space for shopping, camera and walking kit etc.
Good weather protection so you don't get plastered with road dirt in a shower.
Easy to ride which promotes speed and safety in urban traffic.
Light enough to manhandle when required.
Keeps up with dual carriageway traffic for short bursts of flat out use.
Doesn't demand full leathers just good quality textile jacket and stout shoes/boots.
Easy to keep clean and maintain - no greasy chain fling.

Bike:-
Covers distance very quickly.
Corners brilliantly.
Always has a bit more power available for passing etc.
Shrugs off motorways when unavoidable.
Immensely rewarding on twisty roads at speed when there are no cars around.

So today I test rode the Honda X-ADV thinking this is the one that can do everything with just a few compromises. Unfortunately it was so uncomfortable for me that I took it straight back after a few miles of urban traffic. To touch the ground with confidence I had to move forward to the front of the seat and couldn't relax for a moment when stopped at junctions or in queues (I am over 5ft 10 so only slightly shorter than average). Admittedly it was a secondhand example but when drive was selected it clunked into gear and although up changes were OK down changes were unpredictable and unsettled the bike. It has the same power output on paper as my Street Twin but acceleration was nowhere near. Even in S mode it never really surged forward at full throttle.

The next thing to consider is a Kymco AK550 which certainly looks good on paper. Trouble is the importers barely seem to acknowledge its existence and the chances of seeing one in a showroom are very slim on the South coast at least. They do now appear on the UK website so maybe there is some hope.

Happy to hear your suggestions.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

Scootypuff snr

Re: One Two Wheeler That Does Everything - Impossible! - X-ADV disappoints

Post by Scootypuff snr »

:lol: X-ADV is certainly marmite.

NC750X (still chain mind), integra, africa twin most of the interesting options are from Honda in current market

Probably won't fulfil your motorway option but RE Himalayan (not twist n go)

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

I'm surprised that you found it clunked into gear - I didn't notice that on my test ride, and whilst I found the changes more noticeable that I expected (and occasionally not what I expected), I didn't find that it unsettled the bike. Did you know that there are 3 Sport modes?? Its not obvious if you aren't briefed. If you were in S1 then it still is a bit stodgy - I found S2 the only bearable mode! Though I'm not the world's greatest X-ADV fan (or at least I didn't like the NC engine) I think that its performance is deceptive - when you accelerate, the revs don't rise, nothing appears to happen, but you are shoved forward on a wave of torque. I assume it must be similar to riding a Harley (not that I ever have). Performance wise it does easily out drag a Tmax, though the Tmax is much more fun doing it! I found the X-ADV vs Tmax very much a head vs heart thing - the X-ADV is obviously sensible, economical, fast...but the Tmax stirs the heart more! (IMHO obviously).

Of course, if the ergonomics don't suit you, then its no good - I actually found it comfortable enough and could just reach the ground, though the ride was a bit firm.

If you manage to track down an AK550, I'm sure we'd all be very interested to hear about your experience. The tests I've read say that it is pretty similar in most respects to the Tmax, but slightly more sporty and less comfy. Despite its significant extra power, it seems to go no faster than a Tmax. Obviously whether you find it comfortable or not will be a very personal matter.

kayz1
Benefactor
Current Ride: Scott X-ADV75 + bmw r90s + c70

Post by kayz1 »

What Mr Grumpy said.. My X-ADV is ok.Must have been some thing wrong with your test mule..
Lyn.

defscoot
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Post by defscoot »

I know I've only had the Burgman for a week but for me, this bike is perfect and does everything I want from it.

650 Burgman:-
Plenty of storage space for shopping, camera and walking kit etc.
Good weather protection so you don't get plastered with road dirt in a shower.
Easy to ride which promotes speed and safety in urban traffic.
Light enough to manhandle when required. ok, so a bit heavier but still easy enough. Low centre of gravity.
Keeps up with dual carriageway traffic for short bursts of flat out use.
Doesn't demand full leathers just good quality textile jacket and stout shoes/boots.
Covers distance very quickly.
Corners brilliantly. yes, as long as it's a smooth road.
Always has a bit more power available for passing etc.
Shrugs off motorways when unavoidable.
Immensely rewarding on twisty roads at speed when there are no cars around. So for me yes, it's very powerful and smooth delivery so great in corners but it's not Street Triple obviously.

kayz1
Benefactor

Post by kayz1 »

Just goes to prove it would be a very dull world indeed if we all liked the same things :D Not saying the big burger is not good ( i have had 6 of them :D )
Two wheels is good :lol:

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Post by roadster »

kayz1 wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:44 pm What Mr Grumpy said.. My X-ADV is ok.Must have been some thing wrong with your test mule..
Lyn.
I must admit to being a bit worried that the machine wasn't representative of a standard model. Presumably there is a preload adjuster under the plastic somewhere which I couldn't check. What aroused my suspicions is that an extra alloy foot was clamped on the prop stand so if that's non-standard the previous owner may have been tall and raised the right height or pre-load somehow. The gearbox might also have suffered some abuse for all I know. Unfortunately dealers tend to enthuse about the sports models and don't pay any great attention to the more prosaic models.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

kayz1
Benefactor

Post by kayz1 »

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

defscoot wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:28 pm I know I've only had the Burgman for a week but for me, this bike is perfect and does everything I want from it.

650 Burgman:-

Yes, there's no chain fling, but you wait until winter! The rear gets filthy and its really fiddly to clean it. The Tmax gets filthier, but cleaning access is a lot easier!

Capt. R Swipe
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2023 Forza 350 YamT7

Post by Capt. R Swipe »

Very good and well-considered points above, about the X-ADV.

Funnily enough, I sat on the 2017 X-ADV yesterday in the hope that I might like it for the very same reasons mentioned in the post title. Well, the weight put me off - even bothering to wheel the thing out for a closer inspection. I know this weight is low, and would disappear on the road but moving it around was more than I'd care to do.
I'm gonna look at the new Forza 300.