Camera Bikes

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Camera Bikes

Post by rayb »

Watching the Ladies Triathlon today, I was impressed at how steady the rider was at very low speeds during the running. Makes me wonder why they don't use MP3s, it would be far less tiring. And on the TdF, they could fit scythes like Boadicea had on her chariot. That would give the cyclists a bit more space on the steep climbs.

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Re: Camera Bikes

Post by Ralph »

The cameramen on the back are a brave lot, and when going down hill in the mountains a cycle takes some keeping
ahead of, It's not without it's dangers, I once saw a rider very badly injured maybe fatally in what was then the Milk race
were a car pulled out right after the cyclists on another occasion one of the camera bikes snapped his ariel off on a lamp
post wile cornering how the camera mans head missed the post is a mystery.
Not for the faint hearted.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

rayb
Benefactor

Post by rayb »

They must be pretty fit and agile as well, the angles they get themselves in. We watched the Volta ao Algarve once and around a dozen Press bikes turned up at the restaurant where we had lunch.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

I guess technology helps the steadiness of the camera pictures - not a tech expert, but don't some mobile phones have tech to improve the steadiness of the picture? If not mobiles, certainly some compact hand held cameras do - let alone the kit used by professionals.
I presume the full steadycam kit wouldn't be practical on a two wheeler??
I'm not sure that camera bike pilots would be too keen on trying to keep up with the cyclists on a TdF mountain descent on an MP3! There again, I remember when the MP3 first came out, they were used by the travelling officials on the Giro - for some reason that looked very silly!

rayb
Benefactor

Post by rayb »

I have a Canon XF100 that has powered IS and it's almost rock-steady handheld on 10x zoom. I must try it on the Paris-Roubaix.

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

If it can sort Paris-Roubaix. out and not fall to bit's it must be a good bit of kit.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

mottza
Admin
Current Ride: 2023 Honda ADV350

Post by mottza »

Nice camcorder Ray, I must start using my Nikon D5200 for video as its very good quality.
2023 Honda ADV350 & 2020 Honda Super Cub 125