Silverwing on Hardknott Pass

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Flyingpanman
Current Ride: Honda SH350i

Silverwing on Hardknott Pass

Post by Flyingpanman »

A couple of days ago, I went for a late afternoon ride in the Lakes. I've been over Hardknott and Wrynose Passes a few times on my motorbikes but took the Silverwing just to see how the transmission would cope. We approached via a new to me route by Dungeon Ghyll.

The bike performed well and it *is* easier than a manual tranny bike, although the bumps are felt a bit more. The Hyper Pro front springs and YSS rear shocks make a lot of difference. Anyhow, you can see the trip for yourselves on a video I've uploaded on YouTube:

XP500FUN
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda WibbleWing 600 Love it

Re: Silverwing on Hardknott Pass

Post by XP500FUN »

Fantastic Vid, thank you.

I like the Handlebar brace.

What YSS shocks are they please, the eco line ? ( no damping control ? ) I found the topline ones too hard for the bumps.

Can you imagine the gear changes saved on this ride with a CVT.

Must try this route sometime soon.

Best Mark.

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Symcity »

Reckon I’d be checking me brake pads after that wee decent - thanks for sharing

Flyingpanman

Post by Flyingpanman »

XP500FUN wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:32 pm Fantastic Vid, thank you.

I like the Handlebar brace.

What YSS shocks are they please, the eco line ? ( no damping control ? ) I found the topline ones too hard for the bumps.
I'm trying out the handlebar brace to see if it reduces the shocks/vibrations of the long bars. No immediate difference noticeable, but will remove it soon and maybe then I'll miss it?

I think the shocks are the ecoline - recently bought them used from Ron Cox (?) the silverwing breaker. They are firmer than OEM, but don't bottom out like my originals. They're staying on!

Flyingpanman

Post by Flyingpanman »

Symcity wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:10 pm Reckon I’d be checking me brake pads after that wee decent - thanks for sharing
What brake pads? :lol:

No, they're fine after that. I was alternating between front and rear at times - just to allow them to cool a bit now and then. It may have been a pointless exercise with having linked brakes though!

I was more worried about the clutch on the uphill turns!

XP500FUN
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda WibbleWing 600 Love it

Post by XP500FUN »

My Clutch needs a deglaze before I go back over. Suzuki GT500 twin 2 stroke last time I went over in 91 I think. Sold that bike for £300 I think and look at them now, nice one too.

I thought the shocks looked like the eco ones on the bike Ron Broke.

I think it was the same spring on the topline one I felt it could of done with being slightly softer for me as my suspension has gone.

Though I am 16 odd stone plus clothes and helmet so maybe firmed up even more with me on.

Best Mark.

PS its probably the Hyperpro`s causing the bar shocks etc, mine do, going to try some 10w oil in mine or grip puppies.

Flyingpanman

Post by Flyingpanman »

Meldrew wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:27 am Nice video, I lived in West Cumbria from the mid Seventies until retirement a few years ago, and as my home was only about 14 miles away I'd occasionally ride over Hardknott and Wrynose Passes from the Eskdale side on whatever bike or scooter I owned at the time. Then do them in reverse after spending a bit of time in the Lakes, or home via Ambleside and Keswick.

Once you'd came down off Hardknott through Eskdale Green and got back onto the A595 to return home, you'd have had the chance of going over Corney Fell or through the Whitcham Valley, which are both nice rides.
From Eskdale we went along Austhwaite Brow (?) to Broughton. It was dark by the time we got there. Unfortunately, the cafe in the square was closed or I'd have bought my usual banana loaf and a tea.

I'll set up a run across the Passes in the reverse direction and check out those roads you mentioned, thanks. I don't think I've been that way.

Flyingpanman

Post by Flyingpanman »

XP500FUN wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:39 am PS its probably the Hyperpro`s causing the bar shocks etc, mine do, going to try some 10w oil in mine or grip puppies.
The handlebar brace is just an experiment. I happened to have the brace spare and as the bars are so tall, I thought it might help. I don't think the bar shocks are due to the Hyper Pro's as the initial travel is no stiffer than the OEM's. After an inch or so they stiffen up progressively. I have Grip Puppies fitted.

I'm 114Kg and the rear shocks are adjustable for preload- or normally are. Someone previously tried to adjust it and the thread is knackered on one of them. They probably didn't know to remove the grub screw first. As it turns out, the way they are set is fine for me.

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

I enjoyed the video. Especially the pissed off driver at the end.

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

Went over 2 or 3 years ago on a Moto Morini 350, passed a 1200 bandit on the way up, he did not look happy,
we stopped at the Three Shire Stone And he stopped, he asked how far to the top don't think he was enjoying
lugging the big Suzzy up the pass, front tyre did not feel right after the decent on the other side but it took
a lot of looking over a few days to find I had caused a small delamination, not been over on a twist n go but
must give it a go.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif