Silverwing on Hardknott Pass

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
rjc1944
Current Ride: 2009 Burgman 400

Re: Silverwing on Hardknott Pass

Post by rjc1944 »

Lovely stuff - one of my all-time favourite roads. I'm glad you included the road over Blea Tarn from Great to Little Langdale - that's real fun too, especially if there's a bit of ice around! Before we retired down to Cornwall I rode that trip on all of my bikes - Vespa 125 and Honda 90 in the 1960s, lots of bikes up to Kawasaki ZRX 1200 in the next four decades. The only one I chickened out of was a BMW K75RT - far too top heavy for my liking and definitely not one I enjoyed. In recent years automatic gearboxes on cars and scooters, coupled with good quality disc brakes, have made the passes so much easier. Down here in the south west we've got Porlock, Countisbury and Lynmouth hills - almost the equal of Hard Knott in graadients and bends but far better road surfaces so they're a lot easier. One to try if you get down to Cornwall is School Hill in Coverack - a lot shorter but just as entertaining.
2009 Burgman 400 in sunny Perranporth :D
Always seek the happy medium - she's out there, riding her scooter.

newscooter
Benefactor
Current Ride: Grinnall BMW trike

Re: Silverwing on Hardknott Pass

Post by newscooter »

I've done all the Lakeland passes in the same day on the Swing. It had no problems and the auto transmission takes a lot of the stress out of things. The biggest problem is the motorists!