Yamaha planning scooter airbags

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Yamaha planning scooter airbags

Post by StephenC »

Curious. https://www.morebikes.co.uk/51254/yamah ... -revealed/

...In the design drawings, the scooter is fitted with a large airbag that fills the void between the rider’s chest and the headstock of the scooter with secondary bags deploying to save the rider’s legs from smashing into the scooter’s lower fairing.

Not sure how I feel about this. Unlike a car you are not joined to/contained in the bike so more likely you would go over the handlebars in a front-ender instead of into the airbag?
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: Yamaha planning scooter airbags

Post by MrGrumpy »

Its a nice idea, but I'd guess that they'd work best in a front impact - but my accidents have been either a side impact or front / side impact so I'm not sure how effective they'd have been then.

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Post by smeghead »

Fun bags would be better.

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Post by Funkycowie »

smeghead wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:23 am Fun bags would be better.
You could add those yourself, you'd just need to go to an online sex toy store and you might find some thing to attach.

Seriously though it would have saved me from some chest pain when the TMax I got from Lyn got written off by someone's trailer they were towing.
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

That won't help insurance premiums and I'm guessing guaranteed write off after the worst happens.

Additional service costs

Not to mention recalls like the Honda goldwing (last model)

Be better off giving you one of those air inflatable waist coats

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Post by smeghead »

Funkycowie wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:00 pm
smeghead wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:23 am Fun bags would be better.
You could add those yourself, you'd just need to go to an online sex toy store and you might find some thing to attach.

Seriously though it would have saved me from some chest pain when the TMax I got from Lyn got written off by someone's trailer they were towing.
To be honest Funky, I'm the biggest tit on my scooter.

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Post by roadster »

Back in the 1970s during my job-hunting days (years!) I had an interview with a company who were testing prototypes for motorcycles and had an actual rider who was an experienced road racer doing some trials. It didn't lead anywhere and I think the main issue is that it will only work if the rider is constrained in the normal seating position by seat belts which makes him susceptible to injury in other unpredictable crash modes. What we do have now is self inflating riding gear so if that could be incorporated into normal styles of clothing or some sort of convenient oversuit it might catch on for the likes of us.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

roadster wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:58 am Back in the 1970s during my job-hunting days (years!) I had an interview with a company who were testing prototypes for motorcycles and had an actual rider who was an experienced road racer doing some trials. It didn't lead anywhere and I think the main issue is that it will only work if the rider is constrained in the normal seating position by seat belts which makes him susceptible to injury in other unpredictable crash modes. What we do have now is self inflating riding gear so if that could be incorporated into normal styles of clothing or some sort of convenient oversuit it might catch on for the likes of us.
:idea:

So is Yamaha thinking of a C1 type machine?

Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

StephenC wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:11 am

So is Yamaha thinking of a C1 type machine?
If Yamaha can come up with the Niken, then they can come up with anything!!!

2wheelover51
Current Ride: 2012 Burgman 400 Limited

Post by 2wheelover51 »

Funnily enough I was just thinking the other day about the Quaser/Quasar? with the Reliant motor. Never rode one but always thought it was a good idea just needing some developement. The Reliant motor was nothing to write home about but something along those lines with a decent four cylinder bike motor might be good. That could also incorporate airbags OR funbags? ;)