Stolen scoots. The fight back begins?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Whatsisname
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 K5

Stolen scoots. The fight back begins?

Post by Whatsisname »

Speaking of stolen scoots, is this the start of a turning of the tide?

I like the idea of 40 scooterists on some thief's doorstep politely presenting an invoice for the repair bill! :lol:

https://scooterlab.uk/stolen-scomadi-re ... t-feature/
I wake up every morning with a smile upon my face,
My natural exuberance spills out all over the place!

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: Stolen scoots. The fight back begins?

Post by MrGrumpy »

Interesting bit there that Police storage costs are added on to the repair bill, meaning that a damaged recovered scoots much more likely to get written off than you'd expect.

Deleted User 4154

Re: Stolen scoots. The fight back begins?

Post by Deleted User 4154 »

MrGrumpy wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:39 am Interesting bit there that Police storage costs are added on to the repair bill, meaning that a damaged recovered scoots much more likely to get written off than you'd expect.
Yep, Plod might not be able or arsed to find your bike, but rest assured they'll do their damndest to profit from the crime.
The great police recovery con

If you’re unlucky enough to have a scooter (or any vehicle stolen) and it gets recovered, most owners end up being robbed again, this time by the police.

The police have, in most areas, joined forces (as they say) with recovery partners to cut down on the time taken to recover your vehicles, although what they don’t tell you is that the police get a kickback from every recovery they put the recovery companies on to. If your scooter is found the police are supposed to contact you and give you adequate time to recover your vehicle in your own way, unless it’s causing an obstruction in the road, pavement, or if they fear it may be stolen again.

The get out clause for the police is that due to divisional cuts they don’t have the manpower to look after the vehicle for a reasonable amount of time, which is a guideline of 90 minutes. Most of the time they will simply phone the recovery firm and bang, its £150 for you just to get your vehicle out again today, plus £50 for each additional day. Many folks won’t have the spare cash to cover the recovery and storage after having their pride and joy nicked.