Punctures.

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
defscoot
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Punctures.

Post by defscoot »

After buying my CB500X, I had only done 200 miles when I had a blow out on the rear tyre.

Thankfully another biker stopped to help, plugged it for me and I limped to the nearest bike tyre place as it was still losing air.

I needed to get the Dunlops off anyway (very bad in wet apparently) so they replaced both tyres because the back one was torn in two places (no idea what I ran over).

Anyhoo, I now have 800 miles on it, took it for a spin the other day and got another puncture. Whacking great screw with a hook.

I've plugged it and hoping it keeps the pressure over night.

When I told a fellow rider about my second puncture in 800 miles, they said they had only had 2 punctures in 30 years of riding.

Am I just unlucky or is this just the result of the state of the roads these days?

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: Punctures.

Post by MrGrumpy »

Sods law working overtime I think. For a time I used to get punctures quite regularly, but I haven't had one for years.....so that's jinxed it!
Maybe investigate the various gunges you can put in tyres (punctureseal, ultraseal) before the puncture occurs to seal them in case of a deflation. I've had mixed results with them and don't use them, but many people have great success with them. If you are using roads that are full of sharp objects, it might be worth considering

sad vampire
Current Ride: NC750 DCT+Aprilia Atlantic 500

Post by sad vampire »

I don't get punctures very often, but I keep an eagle eye out for any screws/nails/other sharp objects & pick them up from around my home & whenever I stop anywhere.

Builders seem to leave screws all over the ground wherever they are for some unknown reason.

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

My wife had 40 years of driving, without a puncture. Then, the first car with no spare and she gets two in a week!

Sylar
Current Ride: Forza 350-Cruisym300i

Post by Sylar »

Very strange, I was in Knott End yesterday talking to a rider on an XMax, when a bike arrived with a flat rear tyre. It was a big bike with no centre stand. Both rider and pilion rider were in their fifties. We could not see a nail or any reason why tyre was flat. He had breakdown cover. If it had been straight forward nail in tyre, i always carry plugs and little gas cylinders to inflate. It looked as if tyre was ready for changing in any case.

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Post by smeghead »

I've had punctures in three new bikes. Two Yamaha Fazers and my Vespa. All well within 1000 miles of new. Also in an almost new Tyre on a guzzi Cali. Proper pain.

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

You weren't on one of those black/grey/white scooters parked on the cafe car park were you?
it was after noon and I only got a glimpse as driving the car.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

Sylar
Current Ride: Forza 350-Cruisym300i

Post by Sylar »

That was probably me. I was on the Cruisym300 that is black/grey facing outwards next to the seat. The Xmax400 was also black/grey parked next to me but he was facing towards the coast guard station.

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

wish I had time to stop now
ride safe
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

rtfm
Current Ride: Integra 700

Post by rtfm »

Didn't even have the Africa Twin for a week before the first puncture. And tubed tyres, gah..

Seems to be a lot more crap on chevrons these days so I'm more cautious about riding/filtering on them on zee commute.