I followed a scooter today....

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
XP500FUN
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda WibbleWing 600 Love it

Re: I followed a scooter today....

Post by XP500FUN »

My middle son had a Yamahah Aerox 50cc 2 stroke moped, it only had two small easy mods, one was a collet/washer out of the variator and I forget the other, possibly similar out of the exhaust, but even as more or less std did 50/55. And about 85mpg.

It meant he could actually keep up with traffic much of the time etc and had some hope on the hills, its all hills locally.

But hes a steady away rider, and even though he has a 125 now that will do 80mph and his full A1 licience he will not break the speed limit anywhere.

He simply did`nt need any restrictions etc as hes not a slow rider, just careful and steady away.

I do think the CBT is a good idea though, my ex got on to a honda H100 at 17 with no training or anything and nearly killed herself a fair few times.

I just missed them but the days of the 250 2 stoke learner 90/100 mph bikes was manic and dangerous to say the least.

There are 50cc 4 stroke mopeds that stuggle even at 28/30 mph these days.

My 50cc at 16 did about 40 mph and I was happy with that as just glad to be on the road, but I did hold things up too. You simply had to with 4 odd HP.

Best Mark.

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Post by smeghead »

Meldrew wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:47 am
XP500FUN wrote:I just missed them but the days of the 250 2 stoke learner 90/100 mph bikes was manic and dangerous to say the least.
You didn't miss much mate, I had both the Suzuki GT 185 and GT 250 2-strokes in my L plate days and neither of them were manic or dangerous. I remember virtually nothing about riding them, all my memories relate to their crap tyres, brakes, peeling chrome, rusting wheel spokes, and furring alloy.

Everyone made exaggerated claims about their 250’s speed and performance back then.
True enough Meldrew. My CZ 125 would manage an indicated 65 downhill with a trailing wind. Probably and actual 55-60 I suppose. My Suzi GS400 was a real speed daemon in comparison.

Maxsymuppet
Current Ride: Maxsym 600i

Post by Maxsymuppet »

This all goes back to 1977 when the legal definition of a moped changed. To put an inexperienced 16 year old on busy A roads on something with a top speed of 30 is a nasty accident waiting to happen. Of course whoever was responsible for this gem of legislation has never been on a bike themselves. The idea was slower must be safer.

andyscooter
Benefactor
Current Ride: gilera runner vxr200

Post by andyscooter »

even on main roads I was taught to ride in the centre of my lane not in the gutter

cars have to overtake properly when you are out in the lane rather then being able to cut past when they feel like it

im looking for a 50 to go to work on as it will cost peanuts
i was an atheist until i realised i am god
Remember its a speed limit not a target

gilera runner vxr200 (chavped)

gasgas
Current Ride: Sym 300i

Post by gasgas »

Now I have a scooter, which is perfectly capable of doing all the speed limits and more, I find that cars are compelled to overtake me, whereas when I was on a motorbike they didn't. Cars are always passing me and then of course have to brake heavily inside the two second gap I leave between me and the obstacle in front. They then get my full beam headlight to keep them amused till they go a different way.