I followed a scooter today....

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

I followed a scooter today....

Post by smeghead »

On the way to work, I was in the car following a learner on, what I assume was a 50cc scooter. Why on gods earth are they speed limited to about 30mph. What utter tosser thought that was a good idea. There was a queue of traffic waiting to get past him on a 40mph stretch, I bet he felt very vulnerable. 40-45mph would be much better imho.

muddyfox
Benefactor
Current Ride: Yamaha 250r x max

Re: I followed a scooter today....

Post by muddyfox »

Got to agree. Limited to 30mph in a lot of circumstances is dangerous.
Remember first couple of times I drove the works Transit van on the motorway with the newly fitted 70mph limiter. I know 70 is the legal limit but there was no "escape" from car drivers who hogged the middle lane at 68mph and then decide, just as you drew level with them, to do 73 mph. No way to overtake them and return to inside lane. After a couple of experiences of this just sat at 60mph where ever possible and booked overtime. Gaffer not pleased at all until he took the van home one night and experienced it himself. Very understanding after that.
Muddyfox (Nottingham)
Ride safe

Alanzzg
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing

Post by Alanzzg »

Totally agree . limited to 30 mph is dangerous it should be at least 45/50 mph
28 mph is just another obstacle on the road
Member of The Ugly Bunch -2
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly,

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

I know I felt much safer when I had my first 50cc scoot derestricted. OK, it only got to 38 or so, but it meant that you could flow with the traffic, rather than being a barely mobile obstacle!

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

Dont suppose the prat that thought it up ever rode one.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

Bern

Post by Bern »

I would disagree, speed restricted vehicles are there for a reason, very similar to speed limits. A moped is simply a moving obsticle that should, by any experienced motorist, be easily overtaken when a suitable occasion occurs. A far bigger problem on the roads are farmers who think they are HGV drivers, with their tractors pulling 40 foot trailers of bales

Deleted User 4154

Post by Deleted User 4154 »

Bern wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:33 pm I would disagree, speed restricted vehicles are there for a reason, very similar to speed limits. A moped is simply a moving obsticle that should, by any experienced motorist, be easily overtaken when a suitable occasion occurs.
A perfectly reasonable assertion, Bern, and were it not for the fact that the roads of the UK are replete with people whose cars' BHP figures outnumber their IQ by a factor of three to one I would agree with you.

My return to riding after an absence of some 10 years was aboard one of these death traps, an Aprilia SR50. At 30mph (or less when negotiating a hill) you are forced to ride in the gutter with the push irons. 45mph - a speed I only saw after completing my CBT and the purchase of a Daelim 125 - meant I could comfortably hold the middle of my lane without impatient car/PSV/truck drivers up my chuff.

Never have I felt more aware of my own mortality than when aboard that wretched Italian moped, and yet I owe it a huge debt of gratitude; I could have just given up, but instead of the daily brushes with the reaper making me want to pack it all in I just wanted something better.

Bern

Post by Bern »

Jaz wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:52 pm
Bern wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:33 pm I would disagree, speed restricted vehicles are there for a reason, very similar to speed limits. A moped is simply a moving obsticle that should, by any experienced motorist, be easily overtaken when a suitable occasion occurs.
A perfectly reasonable assertion, Bern, and were it not for the fact that the roads of the UK are replete with people whose cars' BHP figures outnumber their IQ by a factor of three to one I would agree with you.
Cheers Jaz, that made me chuckle bud :kiss:
It seems to me that 'by & large' motorists/riders these days are far to impatient/intolerant of slower vehicles, back in the 'dark ages' (when I was a lad) I never felt intimidated by others, in fact it was known for pedal cycles to overtake my Raliegh Runabout :shock: a true moped (it had pedals)

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

30 mph is ok for popping round back streets, but on main roads plus you have to sit next to the curb which isn't good. These mopeds should be made easily able to be de-restricted.
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Post by roadster »

What makes this even worse is that the edges of most minor roads are so broken that a slow two wheeler might be forced to swerve out at any moment to avoid being pitched over the handlebars.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...