New bike review Honda Vfr800x crossrunner

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Ferret
Benefactor
Current Ride: Aprilia srv 850

New bike review Honda Vfr800x crossrunner

Post by Ferret »

Well I thought I would do a little review for those who are interested. I've done about 600 miles so far and have thougherly enjoyed the ride ,it's suspension is far better than a yam tracer or versys 1000 .The lower seat height for me is spot on . I did 3 hours in the seat before I started to get a little discomfort . I have adjusted the suspension today ,which I may add is dead easy just to firm it up as we was 2up again very well composed over various sheep tracks and mountain roads . It is so easy to steer and even when set up soft you it stays composed round faster twisty bits . The screen is by far the best standard fitment I have ever used as are the heated grips . The motor is a peach plenty of power and torque for the real roads and super smooth as is the gearbox . The tool kit is actually great and I used its contents to adjust the chain and suspension.The under seat storage is enough for my chain monkey ,helmet ties ,d lock ,tools and water proofs .The lights are great but there is a patch of dark separating the beam ,apparently people who don't like it fit some spots to fill the gap and make them seen during the day .what can I fault ,The clutch is heavy compared to the versys or the tracer ,but is redundant once you pull away and putting it on the centre stand is harder than the versys or yam however overall I,m very pleased I went for the Honda . My one pet hate is these stainless pipes that look rusty .

Scootypuff snr

Re: New bike review Honda Vfr800x crossrunner

Post by Scootypuff snr »

Nice write up thanks for sharing.

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

What mpg are you averaging Ferret???
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Symcity »

Hi did you have to adjust the chain after 600 miles - I genuinely believe that the vfr800x is one of the most underated bikes out there - enjoy

Ferret
Benefactor

Post by Ferret »

Horobags so far I'm, getting not far short of a 60mpg average which is better than anticipated but if your a rev hungry rider you can get it into the mid 40,s which is still good if I compare it to the versys 1000 and my fz8 and my friends tracer 900 s .when sat in slow moving traffic at 50mph. The display was showing an enthusiastic 70 mpg .symcity no I did not have to adjust the chain ,it was more of checking that I could do it easily and presetting my chain monkey . To be honest it was the easiest chain adjustment I have had to do 1 pinch bolt and then adjust using the supplied tools then pinch up the bolt easy . I agree with you it's a underrated bike just as was the cbf1000 .oh I am enjoying it more with each ride .

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

they sound like a fantastic bike, had a vfr 800 fi, wonderful motor. 8-)
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

Ferret
Benefactor

Post by Ferret »

Well I've been racking up the miles on the crossrunner and I am really struggling to find something to moan about ,even the big vtec valve service has been moved out by a further 8k to 24k which is great news on the pocket if having a dealer do it .Alas the wife has a complaint,it's the seat is to slippy especially when going down some of these steep mountain roads ,so I'm going to address that shortly with a new seat probably from bj halls .The Bridgestone A41 tyres are doing well in this very wet weather we are having at the moment . Overall still very satisfied. I was in a dealers last weekend and he was surprised how I managed to get such a good deal on the purchase as he had the same machine -the xtras for a grand more than I paid and the xtras would cost over a grand as well .It pays to shop around .

Filonian
Current Ride: Honda Integra 750

Post by Filonian »

Check out Triboseat covers. It will be a lot cheaper than a new seat, if the only the problem is only slipping forward and comfort is acceptable.

www.triboseat.com.

richie the 1st
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda sh125 Suzuki Address FL1

Post by richie the 1st »

I Had that with the Peugeot Tweet 125 scoot,the seat had been polished by some one..??? so went in to pound world,[gone bust now[ and bought a 100cm by 80cm black ribbed rubber mat,folded it in half,go,s over the seat and under ,so my fat arse holds it down
What a difference a £1 makes
Old honda sh125.
New Honda sh125.
Ride free,ride safe.

newscooter
Benefactor
Current Ride: Grinnall BMW trike

Post by newscooter »

The non slip matting for toolboxes works quite well on seats and it comes in big rolls, just cut off the requisite piece and use the rest in your toolbox drawers.