2015 xmax 400 and getting ready for winter

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
BigFatDonkey
Benefactor

2015 xmax 400 and getting ready for winter

Post by BigFatDonkey »

Hello folks,

As someone who commutes year round on the bike it's coming up to my first winter on the xmax. I'm thinking of a few changes to make the experience as pleasant as possible:

1) Large Yamaha screen - any good for a 6'1" person?

2) Heated grips (with muffs) - I've already got muffs but are the Yamaha heated grips any good? Plug and play

3) Yamaha leg covers - are these worth it or go for another make?

Cheers

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Re: 2015 xmax 400 and getting ready for winter

Post by rayb »

As an alternative to a larger screen (assuming you have a smaller one fitted), who about a deflector. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adjustable-M ... SwLWBbLJ8C

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

I Have the Yamaha Scooter Leg Apron for the '13 XMax400...
A right Faff about.. and scary in cross winds, even at slow speed crossing Westminster bridge!...
Great for keeping warm when dry... but...
But if its raining you need over trousers as well, the water will run down the front and back of the apron...
Water pools in the lap of the apron, when riding... you need to make sure you get it to run off the right way other wise it ends up soaking ya crotch!
And if you park up in the wet the water runs down the seat getting the underside wet...
Tried it for the first winter took it off, tried it again in the second and took it back off a couple of days later...
Water proof over trousers are better for wind rain protection...

Had a baxster apron (still got it in the garage!) on the old Gilly Runner VXR200, and that was great... I think it was down to the fact that it was about half the size!

Muffs are great I recommend the Tucano Urbano... as for heated grips... run a risk of battery trouble and you cant bump start a scooter...
I'd rather not run the risk of getting stranded... specially in the pissin' rain...

found the std screen OK - now got a short sports screen fitted as the XMax doent have to do the commuting duties...
Don't have a screen on the SH125...

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

I agree with Paul about the waterproof overtrousers. I think they are better at keeping you dry. The heated grips are fine as long as you are doing decent mileage to keep the battery charged up in the cold weather. I fitted Oxfords and these have really good heat and much better control over the power consumption than most manufacturers grips. I've never had to charge any of my bikes batteries when using heated grips and I've had them on every single bike I've owned. Might be different if only doing 7-8 miles per day and encountering lots of traffic, although most grips go to battery saver mode when you are idling for more than 30 seconds or so. So it shouldn't be a problem.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Symcity »

Do you actually get a winter as far south as London

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

Meldrew wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:13 am I can't be the only one that's noticed when London occasionally gets a rare light overnight dusting of snow, the BBC News makes it their top story and go on about it as if it was of apocalyptic proportions.
That's because the transport system grinds to a halt!

Spoogle
Current Ride: X-Max 400 ABS

Post by Spoogle »

I have the Yamaha heated grips on my Xmax 400 and they work fine, no problems at all. As for leg covers... well.... they're naff really, much better with a decent pair of pants and waterproofs.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Meldrew wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:13 am I can't be the only one that's noticed when London occasionally gets a rare light overnight dusting of snow, the BBC News makes it their top story and go on about it as if it was of apocalyptic proportions.
Huh...we even had icicles once!! :o The BBC spent hours filming them, interviewing them, and they pulled in their very best reporters from all over the world to cover the story! Clacton-on-sea has it's own weather climate and rarely gets it very bad, really, it doesn't. In general, we here in the South East have a dryer climate than Israel and we are as warm as some areas of the South of France. IT'S LUVELY! ;)
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

...whilst blizzards in Scotland or Northern England aren't even mentioned!

Bern

Post by Bern »

In Kent 'when I was a lad' we had a scattering .............