I think electric is now in sight

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Re: I think electric is now in sight

Post by capitano »

Waldorf wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:35 am Yes, I did, Ged. I am really glad I did. Mine's a delicate shade of grey and yes, I, too, always were a helmet and HiVis vest.
I also bought a Burley Travoy Shopper to tow behind it; that's proved very useful:

https://letsgorideabike.wordpress.com/category/advice/
Blimey, that looks useful. I'd question whether I needed my van for smaller jobs! 8-)

gasgas
Current Ride: Sym 300i

Post by gasgas »

I can go on all day why you shouldn't have an electric car. We had one for two years. The manufacturer's stated mileage range comes from the same fairy tale story book that their petrol consumption figures come from. Drive a supposedly 125 mile range car in the winter after dark in the snow, and you won't get more than 40 miles from a full charge. Three of the recharging stations we visited were broken / stolen / out of action. We were forced to drive down the motorway at 30mph with - - - showing on the range display. That's scary. Worst of all, when we gave it back to Nissan after the two year PCP was up, the guy who subsequently bought it found that the battery with a 5 year warranty went down to a range of 35 miles from full. He took it to the Nissan dealer and said it needs a new battery please. 5 year warranty so you'll do it free won't you. They plugged it in and said no, the warranty is void because the previous owner plugged it in to recharge it when it was already 80% full. So I will never be buying a new Nissan again if that is the way they get out of their legal obligations. Apart from their devious tactics the car is so full of computers it shouldn't allow the battery to be damaged, whether the owner plugs it in or not.
I realise that hasn't anything to do with cycles or motorcycles, I just thought I would warn anyone thinking of getting an electric car.
I was at the first electric motobike TT on the Isle of Man. The racers (who all had to have existing petrol TT racing licences) said how wierd it was: they could hear the crowds cheering and the chain rattling on the sprockets!

richie the 1st
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda sh125 Suzuki Address FL1

Post by richie the 1st »

capitano wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:19 am
Waldorf wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:17 pm I agree; I bought an electric-assist bike since I was struggling with my COPD.
I still have to pedal but it's enabled me to keep riding.
I have received no derogatory remarks but many positive ones from people who can see its worth.
I call it my 'Mobility' bicycle. :-)
Excellent, Mike. I'm really glad to hear that you are using it and enjoying it.

I remember when you were debating whether to take the plunge or not. Did you buy a Kalkhoff?

Mrs Capitano's is the one with the white helmet hanging from the bars. 8-)
I Was down there that day cap,in the afternoon, as for me getting that e-bike fron Halfords[its got to be a folding one]the price went from £700 to £850,stuff that,i had a ride in it,went up a hill,what hill..???
Lookng at one from argus,still don't no yet,it does take the effett out of pushing,as fro electric cars,its going that way,when the formula e-race starts up no stopping at change cars,straight threw .And a jag. support race too,
Old honda sh125.
New Honda sh125.
Ride free,ride safe.

Aaron
Current Ride: Yamaha Tmax Tech Max 2022

Post by Aaron »

Do you folk have to wear a helmet on your bicycles in the U.K ? It's been law in Australia since early 1990's

Aaron

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

gasgas wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:51 am I can go on all day why you shouldn't have an electric car. We had one for two years. The manufacturer's stated mileage range comes from the same fairy tale story book that their petrol consumption figures come from. Drive a supposedly 125 mile range car in the winter after dark in the snow, and you won't get more than 40 miles from a full charge. Three of the recharging stations we visited were broken / stolen / out of action. We were forced to drive down the motorway at 30mph with - - - showing on the range display. That's scary. Worst of all, when we gave it back to Nissan after the two year PCP was up, the guy who subsequently bought it found that the battery with a 5 year warranty went down to a range of 35 miles from full. He took it to the Nissan dealer and said it needs a new battery please. 5 year warranty so you'll do it free won't you. They plugged it in and said no, the warranty is void because the previous owner plugged it in to recharge it when it was already 80% full. So I will never be buying a new Nissan again if that is the way they get out of their legal obligations. Apart from their devious tactics the car is so full of computers it shouldn't allow the battery to be damaged, whether the owner plugs it in or not.
I realise that hasn't anything to do with cycles or motorcycles, I just thought I would warn anyone thinking of getting an electric car.
I was at the first electric motobike TT on the Isle of Man. The racers (who all had to have existing petrol TT racing licences) said how wierd it was: they could hear the crowds cheering and the chain rattling on the sprockets!
Fair enough there will be horror stories like yours, but there are with anything - think of VW and diesel, for example. And often a decent product turns out to give a bad experience because of the local dealer's attitude or incompetence. Your problems here would have been solved with hot-swapping (I think is the term), but the infrastructure is still a way off for that, which is a shame.

But going back to my original post, for commuting purposes electric-only scoots now look to be viable, once we can buy something that isn't over-priced while having all-road capable performance.

I don't for one minute expect to lose my petrol car for long distance family work for many years yet though.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Aaron wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:20 am Do you folk have to wear a helmet on your bicycles in the U.K ? It's been law in Australia since early 1990's

Aaron
Nope!

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

Aaron wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:20 am Do you folk have to wear a helmet on your bicycles in the U.K ? It's been law in Australia since early 1990's

Aaron
Not by law no and the lycra clad warrior brigade would be up in arms if a ruling was made against them. In London they are the biggest bunch of ******* who fail to abide by most road traffic acts and if you publicly criticise them on social media they hound you down and get you banned etc

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

Meldrew wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:15 am Having joined the ranks of cyclists when I retired,
other way for me when I first retired so did the cycling.
Last bike owned/sold was a fixed wheel with reversible hub. Damn that was hard work but I enjoyed it then

Deleted User 4154

Post by Deleted User 4154 »

gasgas wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:51 am I can go on all day why you shouldn't have an electric car. We had one for two years. The manufacturer's stated mileage range comes from the same fairy tale story book that their petrol consumption figures come from. Drive a supposedly 125 mile range car in the winter after dark in the snow, and you won't get more than 40 miles from a full charge. Three of the recharging stations we visited were broken / stolen / out of action. We were forced to drive down the motorway at 30mph with - - - showing on the range display. That's scary. Worst of all, when we gave it back to Nissan after the two year PCP was up, the guy who subsequently bought it found that the battery with a 5 year warranty went down to a range of 35 miles from full. He took it to the Nissan dealer and said it needs a new battery please. 5 year warranty so you'll do it free won't you. They plugged it in and said no, the warranty is void because the previous owner plugged it in to recharge it when it was already 80% full. So I will never be buying a new Nissan again if that is the way they get out of their legal obligations. Apart from their devious tactics the car is so full of computers it shouldn't allow the battery to be damaged, whether the owner plugs it in or not.
Sensibly expressed, real world experience. Don't expect the cheerleaders to pay any attention though.

My cousin bought an 'affordable' electric scooter of the Chinese variety just a couple of years back. I picked him up in my C15 on a number of occasions after it had run out of electricity in an indecently short distance. Those things will have to improve significantly before I would consider chucking money at one.

Capt. R Swipe
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2023 Forza 350 YamT7

Post by Capt. R Swipe »

Meldrew wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:15 am Having joined the ranks of cyclists when I retired, I find my heavy Dutch pushbike with it's 50 litre crate on the front carrier and 25 litre Givi cycle top box or the rear rack........
Have you got a photo of this contraption Meldrew :D ?