I think electric is now in sight

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Re: I think electric is now in sight

Post by capitano »

rtfm wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:33 pm
capitano wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:22 pm
rtfm wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:20 pm 40 mile range at 70mph is a bit poo though innit?
5 years ago though, the range would be around 30 miles at 70mph. The rate of battery technology advances is the most significant thing. 😀
I agree that progress made is good, but the range is still poo so I'd rather wait until it has a decent range and can be charged quickly (in 10 mins or less) nationwide. Otherwise it's just an expensive toy that can't be taken touring.

For example, my recent Wales long weekend camping would have taken 15 full (!!!) charges. Ridiculously impractical and that's assuming you can actually find somewhere to charge it every 40 miles....
Granted, but it's not about now is it? What's heartening, as I said, is the rate of progress. In 10, maybe even just 5 years, it will seem less ridiculous and more o a direct alternative to petrol power.

To be honest, though I'm looking forward to being able to afford and run an electric two wheeler, the infratructure to have enough charging points around the country is still a bit of a pipe dream. That is unless a big industrial player comes in and funds it (and don't bet against that happening... my money is on Honda ... :shock: )

The internal combustion engine (ICE) as a means of propulsion is nearing its end game. However, I predict that we'll see the ICE continue to 2040 and beyond in true hybrid designs.

Freed from the need to be tractable and provide a driving experience, the ICE can be made very efficient, quiet and clean, run on biofuels and used purely to generate power to charge batteries. That's the principle behind developing hydrogen fuel cels to. Not to provide propulsion, but to spin an alternator or more likely a DC generator.

When that happens you'll be able to repeat your Welsh camping trip powered by an electric motor, without having to recharge batteries anywhere at all.

Wil pure electric bikes and scooters have a future? Of course they will. However, my own view is that shorter journeys of up to 50 miles, suited more to purely electric power, will best be served by hot-swapping. Again, i only takes one o the major players to fund it and it will happen. :)

capitano
Admin

Post by capitano »

Aaron wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:51 pm
Capt. R Swipe wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:29 pm You can close this thread down now Moderator! Why?

Well, I can tell you all, that Electric IS Now in Sight...............because I've just bought meself a Trek ebike. :P

It's not 'in sight'. It's for real. :D
My wife and I both bought Trek eBikes about a year ago. They are fun. Being peddle-assist they are good to get your heart pumping every now and then. Riding silently through the bush. Its funny, as now cyclists say things like "you are cheating" and stuff like that. But if it wasn't for my Trek eBike I wouldn't be riding a bicycle.

Aaron
I threw one together using the guts from a scrapped Viking e-bike, got the motor laced into a 26" wheel and bolted it all to one of Halfords cheapest MTBs.

The attitude towards them is changing. I've not once been sneered at. There is a lot of interest, and many are coming to the same conclusion, you did. ie that it actually opens up cycling and the health benefits that follow, to folks who wouldn't have cycled at all.

8-)

Waldorf
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Waldorf »

I agree; I bought an electric-assist bike since I was struggling with my COPD.
I still have to pedal but it's enabled me to keep riding.
I have received no derogatory remarks but many positive ones from people who can see its worth.
I call it my 'Mobility' bicycle. :-)
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch

Capt. R Swipe
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2023 Forza 350 YamT7

Post by Capt. R Swipe »

My wife and I both bought Trek eBikes about a year ago. They are fun. Being peddle-assist they are good to get your heart pumping every now and then. Riding silently through the bush. Its funny, as now cyclists say things like "you are cheating" and stuff like that. But if it wasn't for my Trek eBike I wouldn't be riding a bicycle.

Aaron
Ah, Aaron, my partner and I both chose the new 2019 Powerfly e-mountainbike models. She went for the Women's Powerly 5 and I chose the Powerfly 7.

She just couldn't face the hills Capitano on her normal cycle. I couldn't blame her as the hills here in Devon are relentless. It takes effort and commitment to just cycle 3 miles in any direction here. We borrowed my sister's ebike for a week and I couldn't keep her off it, she even started cycling to work! It was lovely to see and I now have a new cycling partner.

We are both currently being wafted along roads and paths! :D icon_funky-dance.gif

XP500FUN
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda WibbleWing 600 Love it

Post by XP500FUN »

The trouble with alternative engery is that its not just about wanting an outcome, its about visualising what that will create.

Like the EU`s once rush towards Bio Fuels, non of the intelligent planners looked at what may happen, just what result they wanted fuel wise.

It resulted in countries slashing and burning virgin forest to grow Biofuel crops to sell to the EU, plus many farmers changing from food production to Biofuels.

It caused surging food prices and sortages etc in countries where the people could ill afford it etc etc plus deforestation !!!.

There are so many things that can be done in rich developed coutries, but when this UK government came in they slashed solar subsidies that were not only making solar really take off but Britain was leading the way to a good degree too.

That was all nicely tamped down and slowed etc !!! bonkers.

It seems to be mantra driven, but not really creatively pushed forward to some real serious progress at all sadly.

Best Mark.

Aaron
Current Ride: Yamaha Tmax Tech Max 2022

Post by Aaron »

Capt. R Swipe wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:03 pm

Aaron
Ah, Aaron, my partner and I both chose the new 2019 Powerfly e-mountainbike models. She went for the Women's Powerly 5 and I chose the Powerfly 7.

She just couldn't face the hills Capitano on her normal cycle. I couldn't blame her as the hills here in Devon are relentless. It takes effort and commitment to just cycle 3 miles in any direction here. We borrowed my sister's ebike for a week and I couldn't keep her off it, she even started cycling to work! It was lovely to see and I now have a new cycling partner.

We are both currently being wafted along roads and paths! :D icon_funky-dance.gif

Capitano, I have the 2018 Powerfly 5 with full suspension, and my wife has the 2018 Powerfly 7 hardtail. I have been doing a 48km ride that takes me from home to some fun MountainBike tracks and back home. I enjoy to do that ride once every couple of weeks. We both have the "Speedbox 2" plug-n-play chip, it removes the 25kph limit. The Speedbox 2 is good on the roads to help you cruise at around 35kph easily (you can ride a lot faster with the Speedbox 2, but I don't use it to its maximum, I just use it to go a little faster than 25kph)

Aaron

capitano
Admin

Post by capitano »

I've not ridden a Trek e-bike Aaron, mainly because there's no Trek dealer close by so I couldn't blag a half-day test ride. They do look great and have a brilliant spec. They are doing a lot of marketing of the e-bike side so it's serious business for them.

I've ridden the Haibike off roaders, and several Kalkhoffs on road, which were very nice indeed.

I don't have an e-bike at the moment as I'm working through some medical issues, and seeing what's best for me to ride at the end of that.

Mrs Capitano has a Pendleton Somerby e-bike, that was an absolute steal in one of Halfords' sales this year. :)

capitano
Admin

Post by capitano »

Capt. R Swipe wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:03 pm

Yep, that's pretty much Mrs Capitano's story too. She loved her bicycle but stopped riding it about 5 or 6 years back when it became too much of an effort, and if she wasn't riding it regularly, it was eve more work to get started again.

The e-bike takes the edge off that, and she cycles a lot more than she ever did with her regular bicycle. 8-)

capitano
Admin

Post by capitano »

Waldorf wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:17 pm I agree; I bought an electric-assist bike since I was struggling with my COPD.
I still have to pedal but it's enabled me to keep riding.
I have received no derogatory remarks but many positive ones from people who can see its worth.
I call it my 'Mobility' bicycle. :-)
Excellent, Mike. I'm really glad to hear that you are using it and enjoying it.

I remember when you were debating whether to take the plunge or not. Did you buy a Kalkhoff?

Mrs Capitano's is the one with the white helmet hanging from the bars. 8-)

Waldorf
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Waldorf »

Yes, I did, Ged. I am really glad I did. Mine's a delicate shade of grey and yes, I, too, always were a helmet and HiVis vest.
I also bought a Burley Travoy Shopper to tow behind it; that's proved very useful:

https://letsgorideabike.wordpress.com/category/advice/
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch