Demo scooter shock

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Demo scooter shock

Post by MrGrumpy »

I was at the Yamaha dealer in York today, and was startled to find that they actually had three demo scooters! Not the Tmax unfortunately, but they had a Tricity, Xmax 125 and Xmax 300 - given the popularity of the latter, anyone considering one might consider a trip to York.
They also had an early MaxSym 600 there - not quite sure why as there wasn't a price on it.

mick55

Re: Demo scooter shock

Post by mick55 »

I ordered an X Max 300 in blue from Haywards in Cambridge a few weeks ago. The next day Haywards phoned me to say that blue X maxes were sold out nationally but that, if I wished, I could purchase their blue X Max 300 demonstrator, which I did. It only had 50 miles on the clock. So far I'm very impressed with it, though a bit of a bind running it in as per the Yamaha manual.

Greyerbeard
Current Ride: Any of the below

Post by Greyerbeard »

Yep, I understood that my silver one was the last one coming to Cirencester this year - bizarre....
Re running in - don't quote me or him, but the very straightforward dealer implied that the Yamaha rev limits shouldn't be taken TOO seriously - just run it in like you would any vehicle. You can't slog it in top gear after all, and that's what does most damage to a new engine. Just keep it spinning freely without thrashing it, and gradually use it a bit harder as the miles mount up. Think of it more as limiting the amount of throttle opening, than limiting the revs...
1981 Triumph T140ES
1989 Honda C90
2019 Triumph Street Scrambler 900
2021 Honda Forza 350

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

Meldrew wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:15 am Similar story here then, the saleman at the Yamaha dealers in York said once they'd sold the new blue XMax 300 in their showroom that was it for this year.
I spoke to my local dealer some time ago.

Yamaha/Suzuki etc allocate a set number of vehicles for Europe (as a whole) on perceived demand. The UK importer then has to fight for its share of that allocation which is a shrewd marketing strategy for a poor market here like scooters.

Greyerbeard
Current Ride: Any of the below

Post by Greyerbeard »

"Hi Greyerbeard, that'll be Peter Hammonds, went there to look myself, they were very helpful and still have customer service!
For a family business they have survived a long time, used them when I were a lad with my Daytona
Would be interested to know why you chose a 300 and not the 400?
Snail"

Yes that's right; an excellent place - and they still stock bits for Meriden Triumphs!
300 because enough performance for my needs; quite a lot cheaper; larger rear wheel; better reviews...
1981 Triumph T140ES
1989 Honda C90
2019 Triumph Street Scrambler 900
2021 Honda Forza 350

Pukmeister
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2011 Tmax + 2019 R1250GSA

Post by Pukmeister »

I bought my Tmax from Peter Hammonds. Dave Hammond is a Dakar competitor and a real gent, and I love the proper old school dealership, none of that anonymous corporate bullshit there just friendly long term staff in a well established premises......if only they were more local to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk