T max mk 6 heated grips have gone from menu ?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Scootles
Benefactor
Current Ride: Vespa GTS 300

Re: T max mk 6 heated grips have gone from menu ?

Post by Scootles »

I have the Oxfords fitted to my Forza - by the Honda dealer. They auto shut off every time without fail (so far) . I understand they detect the slight voltage ripple you get from the charging system. No ripple means the engine isnt running, so they turn off, presumably after a short time delay.
They are also pretty toasty. The only problem on the Forza is that I dont think there's enough handlebar to screen clearance to allow for handgaurds which would provide a bit of wind protection.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Scootles wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:19 am I have the Oxfords fitted to my Forza - by the Honda dealer. They auto shut off every time without fail (so far) . I understand they detect the slight voltage ripple you get from the charging system. No ripple means the engine isnt running, so they turn off, presumably after a short time delay.
They are also pretty toasty. The only problem on the Forza is that I dont think there's enough handlebar to screen clearance to allow for handgaurds which would provide a bit of wind protection.
Muffs are better than handguards - the combo of heated grips and muffs is really toasty! btw I have the cheapy Oxford 'scooter' grips. There is quite reasonable heat on high setting but almost nothing on low setting.

Capelli32
Current Ride: Honda X-Adv 750

Post by Capelli32 »

Hi guys, thought I would resurrect this thread. So naturally, on one of the coldest days of the year, my heated grips gave up and vanished from the menu. Its a 530 DX 2019 so factory fitted. Reading around the issues others have had it could be the throttle side wires that may have broken. So I'll be dissembling the pos again. There doesn't appear to be a separate fuse which I was hoping to find - if anyone has any clues please post.

thanks again

Richard

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

I don't have experience of the Yamaha grips but frequent failure is very common according to my ex-tech colleagues.

Honestly, the best thing you can do is fit the Oxford "Adventure" heated grips. These are 3.9amps maximum current draw, not 3.2amps like the less powerful Oxford scooter grips. Just check your generator output to be sure the bike can run them. It should be fine though. These grips are very robust & intelligent. You can integrate them into the bikes own wiring from a live feed or, as most do fit them directly to the battery terminals. Oxford gives you the choice & the grips detect how they are wired. I have mine wired directly to the battery. They turn off automatically when you switch off the bike. If the bike is idling for more than two minutes the grips go to sleep to prevent current drain then wake up as you start riding again. My Vespa GTS has a 400 watt generator & runs the heavier duty Adventure grips just fine. Yet most dealers want to fit the more feeble 3.2amp version. May not sound as though there is much difference but the Adventure ones get so much hotter. ;)
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Capelli32

Post by Capelli32 »

I bought a pair of OEM replacement grips which were £148. I fitted them today but was a bit of a faff given most of the front had to come off. Anyway, they work, and was nice to keep the menu functionality. I noticed they have redesigned the cable run on the throttle-side so it shouldn't break the wires as fast (which is what happened to the original grips).

I've got oxfords on my xmax 300 which are fine and much quicker to install and cheaper as you know.

Will see how the new grips work out!!

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

I put Oxford ones on precisely because I didn't want them entangled with the Menu system! I have a simple on/off switch, easily reached. If I was foolish enough to go through the menu system on the move, I'd kill myself!

Capelli32

Post by Capelli32 »

When you do my sort of milage per year the menu is second nature

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Capelli32 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:20 am When you do my sort of milage per year the menu is second nature
I have had this Tmax since 2017, and any visit to the menus is still a voyage of discovery for me! I do try to avoid it to be honest - I can just about change the time, and have managed to reset the Oil trip, even though it doesn't seem to work the way it says in the manual.

Capelli32

Post by Capelli32 »

Tmax ownership is (sometimes) a voyage of discovery, but must admit when they are on song, they're great fun.