T max mk 6 heated grips have gone from menu ?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
tmaxrobbo
Benefactor
Current Ride: BMW C Evo Yamaha T Max 560

Re: T max mk 6 heated grips have gone from menu ?

Post by tmaxrobbo »

MrGrumpy wrote: ↑Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:16 am OK....but what happens if it fails again in just over a year's time???
Then it will get oxford Grips . Once out of warranty I could not justify the coat to fix , and the oxford grips are fairly easy to fit . I like the idea of factory fitted grips but they are never going to last forever :|

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

I've got the Oxford Scooter grips...just a simple on / off switch and no scrolling through menus at 70mph!! There again, had a slight oversight in that we mounted the switch rather too low and out of sight, meaning its a bit of a search finding it!
Do you know exactly what went wrong the Yam grips? If the new set of grips fails again, If the actual heating bit is still working, maybe a clever person could connect the functioning grips to a simple switch. Of course, if the grips themselves are buggered then you'd have to replace the whole kit!

tmaxrobbo
Benefactor

Post by tmaxrobbo »

MrGrumpy wrote: ↑Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:20 pm I've got the Oxford Scooter grips...just a simple on / off switch and no scrolling through menus at 70mph!! There again, had a slight oversight in that we mounted the switch rather too low and out of sight, meaning its a bit of a search finding it!
Do you know exactly what went wrong the Yam grips? If the new set of grips fails again, If the actual heating bit is still working, maybe a clever person could connect the functioning grips to a simple switch. Of course, if the grips themselves are buggered then you'd have to replace the whole kit!
its going in tomorrow so will find out Cheers

tmaxrobbo
Benefactor

Post by tmaxrobbo »

So the right grip had a snapped wire , causing the computer to delete the grips . Wires were too short , now corrected on the new grips. Nice and warm again ready for winter. Had a nice demonstrator T Max while they did the work only 67 miles on the clock and much tighter than mine which has done 5000 miles. These bikes get better with age 😎

Pukmeister
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2011 Tmax + 2019 R1250GSA

Post by Pukmeister »

One of my first tasks was to winterise my Mk 3 including shad muffs, tucano urbano gaucho and oxford heated grips.

The Oxford grips I bought are superb: easy to fit wiring as they go straight across the battery, auto shut off if the bike stops so no flat battery. Very quick to heat up and powerful, I never need more than medium heat.

Glad your Mk6 is sorted and I hope the replacement Yamaha grips last.

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

tmaxrobbo wrote: ↑Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:36 pm So the right grip had a snapped wire , causing the computer to delete the grips .
penny pinching aside (ask suzuki about wiring loom recalls) is deleting a programme over a damaged wire a good thing so preventing battery drain?

tmaxrobbo
Benefactor

Post by tmaxrobbo »

Scootypuff snr wrote: ↑Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:45 pm
tmaxrobbo wrote: ↑Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:36 pm So the right grip had a snapped wire , causing the computer to delete the grips .
penny pinching aside (ask suzuki about wiring loom recalls) is deleting a programme over a damaged wire a good thing so preventing battery drain?
Not sure , normally the left should have kept working . If these fail I will fit oxford grips , the Yamaha ones are noy that hot , but take the edge off

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

tmaxrobbo wrote: ↑Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:48 am
Scootypuff snr wrote: ↑Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:45 pm
Not sure , normally the left should have kept working . If these fail I will fit oxford grips , the Yamaha ones are noy that hot , but take the edge off
strangely not unique to yamaha, Honda oem heated grips better slated on all forums but as they came standard I accepted them and like you will change to oxford in the event of failure.

tmaxrobbo
Benefactor

Post by tmaxrobbo »

Gone again after 6 months . Still under warranty but I feel some oxford grips coming on. Do they need to be turned off or stop when the bike is turned off ?

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

tmaxrobbo wrote: ↑Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:19 pm Gone again after 6 months . Still under warranty but I feel some oxford grips coming on. Do they need to be turned off or stop when the bike is turned off ?
They are wired into the battery, but there is supposed to be a clever feature that detects current flow or something and turns them off if the engine is off. Can't say I'm keen to put it to the test!