Test rode a Tmax at last

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Greyerbeard
Current Ride: Any of the below

Re: Test rode a Tmax at last

Post by Greyerbeard »

MrGman wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:03 pm
Greyerbeard wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:13 am
Having just bought an XMax 300 to replace a TMax 530 (and just having had first service) I'm inclined to agree that journey times will be no slower on the 300!
But....the suspension/ride comfort and bumpy road handling on the 300 is appalling in comparison, don't you think?
Yes the suspension on the 300 is very harsh, and typical scooter handling, still i quite like this as it can be quite good fun :lol:
Think I've found by trial and error that putting the rear suspension down to 'one' doesn't really improve the ride much but spoils the handling; whereas putting it up to 'four' doesn't seem to make the ride much harder but improves the handling because front and rear are more in balance...or maybe I'm clutching at straws!
1981 Triumph T140ES
1989 Honda C90
2019 Triumph Street Scrambler 900
2021 Honda Forza 350

XP500FUN
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda WibbleWing 600 Love it

Post by XP500FUN »

The only real option is to improve the seat to be more bump absorbey.

Either get it remodeled with more, or different foam or a gel pad inserted or get an Airhawk seat etc.

That will help a bit.

I know I bang on a bit but I still can`t get my head around that Yamaha that make a Scooter with such good suspension as the T max, also put out a scooter with some so poor like the Xmax.

Aftermarket shocks seem to be more hard than anything, but some basic YSS ones might help slightly, I think they did for one owner.But that was two up, so solo I doubt they would help if under say 16 stone or so. May even make it worse.

There is a cracking scooter lurking in there, just a shame they did`nt go all the way.

Best Mark.

MrGman
Current Ride: Xmax300 R1

Post by MrGman »

I think the tmax is far superior not because of the shocks/springs but because it is set up like a conventional motorcycle unlike the xmax with the swingarm mounted engine. Unsprung weight is a killer.

Greyerbeard
Current Ride: Any of the below

Post by Greyerbeard »

And also the constraints on rear wheel travel caused by the designers' need to provide a huge luggage space with a 14" rear wheel...only 79mm, on the XMax 300, compared to the current TMax's 117mm, so the springs have to be hard.
Anything softer and you'd be hitting the bump stops all the time, which wouldn't be very comfortable either...
But I still like the bike - the good points outweigh the slight discomfort, and the seat's good anyway! And I do like that engine, now it's run in...
1981 Triumph T140ES
1989 Honda C90
2019 Triumph Street Scrambler 900
2021 Honda Forza 350

orange1290
Current Ride: XMAX 300

Post by orange1290 »

I've set my XMAX 300 rear shocks at one position softer than the middle setting, I weigh 75kg. Works great. My priorities when I was looking to buy a scooter were:

1) Storage space - needed to take 2 full face helmets
2) at least 100mpg
3) can cruise at 120kmh for long periods
4) good acceleration
5) comfortable

ticks all of those boxes and with regards the suspension, I'm happy with it. Looked at TMAX but costs at least twice the price, much less storage, uses much more fuel. These are the reasons I didn't pursue the TMAX but I understand it's still a good bike if you have different requirements to myself.
2017 XMAX 300
2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure T
1974 Kawasaki H1E
1972 Kawasaki H1B

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

orange1290 wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:03 am I've set my XMAX 300 rear shocks at one position softer than the middle setting, I weigh 75kg. Works great. My priorities when I was looking to buy a scooter were:

1) Storage space - needed to take 2 full face helmets
2) at least 100mpg
3) can cruise at 120kmh for long periods
4) good acceleration
5) comfortable

ticks all of those boxes and with regards the suspension, I'm happy with it. Looked at TMAX but costs at least twice the price, much less storage, uses much more fuel. These are the reasons I didn't pursue the TMAX but I understand it's still a good bike if you have different requirements to myself.
Yeah - if you wanted 100mpg then the Tmax isn't the scoot for you!

XP500FUN
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda WibbleWing 600 Love it

Post by XP500FUN »

If they would just bung that engine in to a decent Chasiss, it would be brilliant.

Best Mark.

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

XP500FUN wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:03 am If they would just bung that engine in to a decent Chasiss, it would be brilliant.
Best Mark.
Mark seriously you need to build your own custom scoot.

Start searching the reclaim yards and get yourself a LoS Xmax engine, T-max frame & go nuts with a grinder (Not the dating app :lol: ) n welder

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Scootypuff snr wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:18 am
Start searching the reclaim yards and get yourself a LoS Xmax engine, T-max frame & go nuts with a grinder (Not the dating app :lol: ) n welder
Hmmm, lets think about this...start with a Tmax frame - and of course, the Tmax suspension and brakes are very good, so leave them on. And of course, the Tmax engine is much more powerful than an Xmax engine, and fits right in the chassis (and of course a heavier frame needs a bit more power), so you might as well leave that in, and...you end up with a Tmax again! :lol:

Spoogle
Current Ride: X-Max 400 ABS

Post by Spoogle »

Xmax 400 has longer travel suspension than the 300 which makes for a more comfortable ride and a bit more grunt. May have been a better option.....