Test rode a Tmax at last

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
orange1290
Current Ride: XMAX 300

Re: Test rode a Tmax at last

Post by orange1290 »

Spoogle wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:13 pm Xmax 400 has longer travel suspension than the 300 which makes for a more comfortable ride and a bit more grunt. May have been a better option.....
Xmax 400 doesn't have a bluecore engine, still uses older generation technology, hence big difference in fuel consumption. It has a bit more power but is also heavier.
2017 XMAX 300
2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure T
1974 Kawasaki H1E
1972 Kawasaki H1B

Spoogle
Current Ride: X-Max 400 ABS

Post by Spoogle »

orange1290 wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:10 pmXmax 400 doesn't have a bluecore engine, still uses older generation technology, hence big difference in fuel consumption. It has a bit more power but is also heavier.
Yes, true that the 400 doesn't use the blue-core and fuel consumption is slightly more, but still getting 80-85mpg is very good economy. As for the weight, I have ridden both and you don't notice the weight once rolling and the 400 is a very agile machine indeed. The only time when you may notice a slight increase in weight is when pushing it.

Pukmeister
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2011 Tmax + 2019 R1250GSA

Post by Pukmeister »

I find my Tmax total luxury, but then I suppose I did trade my R1 in for it........... Now theres an instrument of torture !

No more sports bikes for me, the ego is willing but the body is no longer able.

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

Pukmeister wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:45 pm I find my Tmax total luxury, but then I suppose I did trade my R1 in for it........... Now theres an instrument of torture !
No more sports bikes for me, the ego is willing but the body is no longer able.
sadly for me that applies to more than bikes :lol:

MariaB
Current Ride: Tmax

Post by MariaB »

I have had a Mark 1 and a Mark 3 and agree that the 3 is not quite so roomy and that the boards are higher up. I never felt quite as comfortable when trying them back to back but as others have said it's still comfy for long trips. I found the cycle-ergo link interesting for my bikes (no wonder my CBR is uncomfortable) but felt that the person doing the site didn't actually sit the "rider" on the TMax correctly. We do not perch on the from of the seat but sit hard up against the bumstop!

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

MariaB wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:42 am I found the cycle-ergo link interesting for my bikes (no wonder my CBR is uncomfortable) but felt that the person doing the site didn't actually sit the "rider" on the TMax correctly. We do not perch on the from of the seat but sit hard up against the bumstop!
If you go into, "OPTIONS" you can change the placement on the seat, from front, to center(sp) to back. 8-)

Pukmeister
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2011 Tmax + 2019 R1250GSA

Post by Pukmeister »

When I first got my Mk3 I tried to move the bum stop pad back for more legroom, only to find it was already all the way back. I got used to the riding position but I agree the footboards seem high and bars low and the riding position is best with feet forwards, I am 5'11'' and comfortable on it but I wouldn't want to be any taller.

I took my daughter on the Tmax as pillion last weekend and it felt a bit cumbersome and she didn't find it very comfortable, she is used to my BMW GS Adventure which has quite a broad and deep pillion seat.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

I wonder what motivated Yamaha to change the riding position on the mk3? What ever the reason, they soon changed their mind as the mk4 is much more like the mk1/2 was (as is the mk6)