Test rode a Tmax at last

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Normsthename
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield Classic 350

Test rode a Tmax at last

Post by Normsthename »

Having owned every other maxi scooter going I thought it was time to get a ride on a Tmax.
I actually went to the dealers to look at a Xmax 300 but they didn’t have any in stock.
While I was looking around I came across a 2015 Yamaha Tmax 530 in white that they had up for sale at £6499
The scoot had 6700 miles on the clock and was in quite good condition.
After a bit of talking with the sales guy I managed to get a testride.
I have always wanted to try a Tmax but perhaps after all these years waiting it was a bit of a anti climax :(
The engine was very nice and had plenty of power and it felt really light and handled well.
But the one thing I didn’t like was the riding position. :(
The handlebars seemed like they were 6 inches too low, it felt a very strange riding position.
I was out on the scoot for an hour and even after the hour it still felt strange.
I suppose I would get used to the riding position in time, but the dealer didn’t offer me enough trade-in for my Vstrom.
They always say that you shouldn’t meet your heroes :D

Andy
2024 Royal Enfield Classic 350
1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing
2016 Microcar MGO3 - 4 wheeled Scooter with a roof :D

MrGman
Current Ride: Xmax300 R1

Re: Test rode a Tmax at last

Post by MrGman »

I've got an Xmax300 and recently test rode a Tmax as i want just that little bit more, an easy choice surely, the tmax. I also had it for about an hour, it was a 2018 model, engine was lovely although surprisingly more vibey than my 300, the brakes were really good, the handling was as everyone says, just like a proper bike, but the first thing that struck me was the build quality, things like the glove box, petrol flap etc, just felt cheap compared to the xmax, but what made the decision easy for me was like yourself, the riding position, my knees were hitting the bars when doing tight manoeuvres, even with normal riding it just felt odd.
No way i'd pay 2x the price of the xmax300 on a tmax. It wasn't even all that much faster, less storage, doesn't look as funky in my opinion either.

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

Normsthename wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:34 am They always say that you shouldn’t meet your heroes :D
Andy
Never a truer word said.
Can't remember what year I sat on a T max and just thought seat too wide moved on to a burgman I think (plus got a good PX which was the sweetener)

Nearly went there again but again PX didn't cut the deal.

Maybe one day (unless it's electric in which case I'll walk)

Normsthename
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield Classic 350

Post by Normsthename »

Looking at this site it confirms how low the bars are compared to other Maxi Scoots

http://cycle-ergo.com/

Andy
2024 Royal Enfield Classic 350
1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing
2016 Microcar MGO3 - 4 wheeled Scooter with a roof :D

Greyerbeard
Current Ride: Any of the below

Post by Greyerbeard »

MrGman wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:45 pm I've got an Xmax300 and recently test rode a Tmax as i want just that little bit more, an easy choice surely, the tmax. I also had it for about an hour, it was a 2018 model, engine was lovely although surprisingly more vibey than my 300, the brakes were really good, the handling was as everyone says, just like a proper bike, but the first thing that struck me was the build quality, things like the glove box, petrol flap etc, just felt cheap compared to the xmax, but what made the decision easy for me was like yourself, the riding position, my knees were hitting the bars when doing tight manoeuvres, even with normal riding it just felt odd.
No way i'd pay 2x the price of the xmax300 on a tmax. It wasn't even all that much faster, less storage, doesn't look as funky in my opinion either.
Having just bought an XMax 300 to replace a TMax 530 (and just having had first service) I'm inclined to agree that journey times will be no slower on the 300!
But....the suspension/ride comfort and bumpy road handling on the 300 is appalling in comparison, don't you think?
1981 Triumph T140ES
1989 Honda C90
2019 Triumph Street Scrambler 900
2021 Honda Forza 350

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

I had a mk1 t-max years ago and loved it. The latest models are fantastic machines but for some reason dont 'do it ' for me. Ive not ridden one but after sitting on one a couple of times I decided its not for me.
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

tmaxrobbo
Benefactor
Current Ride: BMW C Evo Yamaha T Max 560

Post by tmaxrobbo »

I have had all Mk's of the T max and find the Mk 6 the best of the lot. I'm 6 foot 5 and find the ergonomics fine. Were you riding feet first ? I can stretch out on it and find the bars fine , it's a sport scoot not a sit up and beg bike , so maybe the bars are low to make it handle better? Each model has slightly different ergo' s , the Mk 1 and 2 probably slightly more roomy . I've done 5000 miles on mine in 10 months. Never uncomfortable and good on my back

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

tmaxrobbo wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:57 am I have had all Mk's of the T max and find the Mk 6 the best of the lot. I'm 6 foot 5 and find the ergonomics fine. Were you riding feet first ? I can stretch out on it and find the bars fine , it's a sport scoot not a sit up and beg bike , so maybe the bars are low to make it handle better? Each model has slightly different ergo' s , the Mk 1 and 2 probably slightly more roomy . I've done 5000 miles on mine in 10 months. Never uncomfortable and good on my back
Yes I agree. The only one that was a bit different was the mk3, which seemed to have a bit less legroom, lower bars and seemingly higher footboards. All the rest have lots of room. I leapt off the mk3 straight onto the mk6 yesterday and was struck by the more 'upright' riding position, and the increased legroom was noticeable. I think the mk3 may suit tall people less. Although I often found the mk3's riding position odd, I never found it uncomfortable, even on long trips. Obviously comfort is a very personal thing - my neighbour found his Kawa ZX6R comfortable whilst the one time I sat on it, it seemed like an instrument of torture!!!!

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

I suppose maybe its a case of getting used to it.
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

MrGman
Current Ride: Xmax300 R1

Post by MrGman »

Greyerbeard wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:13 am
Having just bought an XMax 300 to replace a TMax 530 (and just having had first service) I'm inclined to agree that journey times will be no slower on the 300!
But....the suspension/ride comfort and bumpy road handling on the 300 is appalling in comparison, don't you think?
Yes the suspension on the 300 is very harsh, and typical scooter handling, still i quite like this as it can be quite good fun :lol: