How big are your balls?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Snail
Current Ride: Burgman
England
How big are your balls?

Post by Snail » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:54 pm

Suits you sir!
Ok now I have your attention these mounting plates that go onto brake reservoirs for sat nav, phones are they available in different diameters balls, i want to use my van tomtom start on the bike, but most say 1inch ball, mine are much smaller? Would like to have the satnav direct on to the plate without those gangly bits, any ideas
Thanks Brian

Scootypuff snr
Benefactor
Current Ride: fjs-silver wing
England
Re: How big are your balls?

Post by Scootypuff snr » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:32 pm

1" ball is normally the 'ram' mount size as I recall (American originals used to be £££s) I use that size as I have a box of ram fittings as they where fitted to the entire fleet & worked with the garmin bike nav.

From my experience the more you add to the reservoir plate/weight the more likely it is to weep or just leak. (others will say different)

It's also exposed to the elements. Try an Oxford strap nav (can be fiddly to press screen on the move)
There was a burgman 400 specific headstock mount but not seen one since & sadly sold mine a long time ago.

Try here
http://www.maxi-muppets.co.uk/forum/vie ... 49&t=21726
I'm going there,but I like it here,wherever it is

Meldrew
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda
Great Britain

Post by Meldrew » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:03 pm

I fitted a brake reservoir RAM mount once before a trip to Germany and while in theory it was a good idea, in reality it was a pain in the arse. The combined weight of sat nav, locking cradle, and large RAM arm loosens off the screws holding the lid on the brake reservoir, even though you have to fit the longer supplied screws when installing the mount.

I was stopping every hour or so to tighten the screws, before I got creative with some cable ties to secure the lid on to the reservoir to prevent a leak of brake fluid.

It wasn't pretty but it was effective for the rest of the trip and I ditched the brake reservoir set set up when I got back home. I went back to using a central RAM ball mounted between the handlebars.

bustupbiker
Current Ride: X-ADV
Wales

Post by bustupbiker » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:35 pm

I lot of the balls used on other stuff are 16mm dia, i know cos i have made a few for people.
Almost forgot, one i did was 11mm dia.
Lyn.

Luckydave
Current Ride: Burgman 650 and others
England

Post by Luckydave » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:58 pm

Tom Tom ball is less than 1” from memory about 0.95” when I made it,mounted mine on brake reservoir top and not had any problems.

bustupbiker
Current Ride: X-ADV
Wales

Post by bustupbiker » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:23 pm

I never had problems with mine mounted on the brake res: but it was home made and not Ram...fitted correctly and the res lid sealed.

Snail
England

Post by Snail » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:28 am

Hi, Found this company on Amazon, Brodit who make a multi move clip mount for my device, anyone heard or used them?
Plastic plate to be fitted somewhere, (thought maybe on top of speedo binicle with double sided tape?) then clip in piece with ball on it £21.92

Bought a aftermarket suction mount once but ball was slightly undersized so kept flopping about!

Snail

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300
EU Flag

Post by rayb » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:45 am

This is what I use. It mounts to the mirror stem and is pretty solid. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-H ... Sw3iBbRwAO

Bern
Current Ride: SilverWing or Virago
England

Post by Bern » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:22 am

Brodit have been about for ages bud, we favoured their stuff back in the greenlaning & off-roading days (4x4)
“Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.”

Snail
England

Post by Snail » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:24 pm

Nice to know Bern, didn't know you were a landy fan, we were in Cheltenham and Cotswold rover owners club, trialling and laning all over Wales Wiltshire Cumbria, gloucestershire
Used to stay at Clanachinda farm? Llandovery way by the viaduct, Welsh hill rally at sweet lamb etc etc, good old days before most lanes closed down, 110 200tdi