How big are your balls?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Snail
Current Ride: Burgman

How big are your balls?

Post by Snail »

Suits you sir!
Ok now I have your attention these mounting plates that go onto brake reservoirs for sat nav, phones are they available in different diameters balls, i want to use my van tomtom start on the bike, but most say 1inch ball, mine are much smaller? Would like to have the satnav direct on to the plate without those gangly bits, any ideas
Thanks Brian

Scootypuff snr

Re: How big are your balls?

Post by Scootypuff snr »

1" ball is normally the 'ram' mount size as I recall (American originals used to be £££s) I use that size as I have a box of ram fittings as they where fitted to the entire fleet & worked with the garmin bike nav.

From my experience the more you add to the reservoir plate/weight the more likely it is to weep or just leak. (others will say different)

It's also exposed to the elements. Try an Oxford strap nav (can be fiddly to press screen on the move)
There was a burgman 400 specific headstock mount but not seen one since & sadly sold mine a long time ago.

Try here
http://www.maxi-muppets.co.uk/forum/vie ... 49&t=21726

bustupbiker
Current Ride: X-ADV

Post by bustupbiker »

I lot of the balls used on other stuff are 16mm dia, i know cos i have made a few for people.
Almost forgot, one i did was 11mm dia.
Lyn.

Luckydave
Current Ride: Burgman 650 and others

Post by Luckydave »

Tom Tom ball is less than 1” from memory about 0.95” when I made it,mounted mine on brake reservoir top and not had any problems.

bustupbiker
Current Ride: X-ADV

Post by bustupbiker »

I never had problems with mine mounted on the brake res: but it was home made and not Ram...fitted correctly and the res lid sealed.

Snail

Post by Snail »

Hi, Found this company on Amazon, Brodit who make a multi move clip mount for my device, anyone heard or used them?
Plastic plate to be fitted somewhere, (thought maybe on top of speedo binicle with double sided tape?) then clip in piece with ball on it £21.92

Bought a aftermarket suction mount once but ball was slightly undersized so kept flopping about!

Snail

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

This is what I use. It mounts to the mirror stem and is pretty solid. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-H ... Sw3iBbRwAO

Bern

Post by Bern »

Brodit have been about for ages bud, we favoured their stuff back in the greenlaning & off-roading days (4x4)

Snail

Post by Snail »

Nice to know Bern, didn't know you were a landy fan, we were in Cheltenham and Cotswold rover owners club, trialling and laning all over Wales Wiltshire Cumbria, gloucestershire
Used to stay at Clanachinda farm? Llandovery way by the viaduct, Welsh hill rally at sweet lamb etc etc, good old days before most lanes closed down, 110 200tdi

Bern

Post by Bern »

Never a Landy fan bud, I generally referred to them as 'The Bonnet's Up Club', rather too prone to breaking down for my liking :lol: Frontera B 2.2tdi LWB was 'playing' i a dissused quarry near Alfreton with the Rogue Pirates, one of the lads loaded his 90 tray-back onto a 4 wheeled Ifor Williams trailer then tried to get off the parking field using his Discovery :roll: classic fail, hitched the lot up to the 'Fronty' with a kinetic rope, 4wd 2nd gear high box, no worries :lol: :lol: :lol:
Happy Valley, Splashy Lane, Wayfarer, The Bastard, Strata Florida (including 'the bombhole') to mention a few 8-)