B&Q 32mm socket

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Bern

Re: B&Q 32mm socket

Post by Bern »

Meldrew wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:24 am How do you break a socket? I still have and use a Hilka 12 point metric socket set I bought in a local cycle and fishing tackle shop in the mid Seventies. It's the tin case they came in that hasn't stood the test of time.
Hi bud, yes indeed, I also have the 1/2" drive Gedore set I bought in the 70's, plastic insert went first then the hinges on the the tin case, same story for the 1/4" drive Draper setI got at the same time, same as all things in life, look after your tools & your tools will look after you.

Deleted User 7077

Post by Deleted User 7077 »

Meldrew wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:24 am How do you break a socket? I still have and use a Hilka 12 point metric socket set I bought in a local cycle and fishing tackle shop in the mid Seventies. It's the tin case they came in that hasn't stood the test of time.

Because on here your assumed to be an idiot until proved otherwise .

Deleted User 7077

There's a guy on you tube brought 20 same size sockets various prices and made up a test piece which he has had rusting on his garage roof for a year .He will be doing torque tests and socket tests on it soon .

Pukmeister
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2011 Tmax + 2019 R1250GSA

Post by Pukmeister »

I have a range of deep impact sockets from Halfords which are relatively inexpensive in an oil black finish and are 6-point, all with a lifetime warranty. They don't get used often but when you get stuck in the middle of a job and need them its good they are to hand and not going to let you down.

I would be wary of using a socket on an impact gun that is not graded as impact quality (and the chrome can flake/fracture off at point of failure). Wear eye protection just in case !

I learnt years ago as a Marine Engineer to get quality well fitting tools for stubborn fasteners, some of the bolts I have had to undo over the years were truly massive and very corroded. I would probably break that B&Q socket in a heartbeat.

Deleted User 7077

If couple of buzzes with impact gun doesn't do it will try another approach. Wheel nut has to come off every tyre change so not expecting excessive corrosion.

Hexatony 2
Benefactor
Current Ride: Hexagon 125

Post by Hexatony 2 »

Davefirestorm wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:03 pm Tools ain’t wot they used to be lol. Ie not as well made.My brother has a car repair business and I borrowed a brand new unused Snapon torx socket to undo a bolt holding a brake caliper on my Harley,it broke but brother not concerned as it was replaced with lifetime guarantee
Quite true, over my working life as a mechanical fitter in heavy industry, in the 1970`s I bought a number of used WW2 lease lend American sockets and spanners. After serving me until I retired, I`m sure they will outlive me. (And probably whoever inherits them)!

Bern

Post by Bern »

Has been maxi tours wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:46 am There's a guy on you tube brought 20 same size sockets various prices and made up a test piece which he has had rusting on his garage roof for a year .He will be doing torque tests and socket tests on it soon .
Which will prove what exactly ?

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

I could be wrong (normally am) but doesnt the hayabusa have a 32mm rear wheel nut? in which case early hayabusa came with a tool kit that contained said socket
(which was fitted to V Strom 1000 model before latest incarnation) so I've likely got one in the lock up languishing

Deleted User 7077

Which breaks first bolt or socket , cheap or top brand name and at what torque I imagine .I'll have to wait for video and see I can't wait .

Deleted User 7077

Scootypuff snr wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:17 pm I could be wrong (normally am) but doesnt the hayabusa have a 32mm rear wheel nut? in which case early hayabusa came with a tool kit that contained said socket
(which was fitted to V Strom 1000 model before latest incarnation) so I've likely got one in the lock up languishing
Now he tells me after I've forked out £2.35 :lol: :lol: