Cheaper bikes for EU but not UK

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
orange1290
Current Ride: XMAX 300

Cheaper bikes for EU but not UK

Post by orange1290 »

"Japan trade deal means cheap bikes for EU, but Brexit rules Brits out:

https://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-ne ... -brits-out
2017 XMAX 300
2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure T
1974 Kawasaki H1E
1972 Kawasaki H1B

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Re: Cheaper bikes for EU but not UK

Post by rayb »

I hate the idea of Brexit but I'm not sure Japan will risk a large export market like the UK. Who know, without the constraints of EU regulations, they may offer a better deal. That's assuming there is anyone in the UK capable of brokering any sort of agreement.

Deleted User 7077

Post by Deleted User 7077 »

Plenty of second hand ones so doesn't worry me at all . :lol: :lol:

kishan
Current Ride: gilera runner 125ST

Post by kishan »

i blame those who voted to brexit now causing us to be screwed in the motor trade, EU has a bigger sell in scooters and bikes than in the UK i believe anyways.
PIAGGIOOWNERSCLUB.FREEFORUMS.ORG - THE HOME FOR GILERA , APRILIA , PIAGGIO AND VESPA OWNERS.

orange1290
Current Ride: XMAX 300

Post by orange1290 »

rayb wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:01 am I hate the idea of Brexit but I'm not sure Japan will risk a large export market like the UK. Who know, without the constraints of EU regulations, they may offer a better deal. That's assuming there is anyone in the UK capable of brokering any sort of agreement.
That's the whole point of the deal between the EU and Japan - their will be less regulations in the form of the 6% tariff, which the UK will still be applying as it won't have a similar deal with Japan. The EU in terms of trade has very few interfering regulations if you are an EU member or if you have a massive trade deal with Japan for example. The UK can't simply drop the 6% tariff because that's loss in tax revenue. The EU will drop it because it will have reciprocal agreements with Japan in the deal that's been signed.
2017 XMAX 300
2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure T
1974 Kawasaki H1E
1972 Kawasaki H1B

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

I think we are straying into the realms of politics here,

Deleted User 7077

Post by Deleted User 7077 »

Toyota are selling rebadged Citroen vans its the end of the world as we know it we are all doomed .No more Hi Ace

riders in the storm
Benefactor
Current Ride: HondaNC750X+HondaCRF300Rally

Post by riders in the storm »

At the end of the day most things are priced at what people are willing and able to pay for them. On that basis Brexit is unlikely to have any long term effect on the relative affordability of scooters, houses etc etc....
HondaCRF300Rally, Honda NC750X

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

I wonder if the UK would get the benefit of the EU-Japan deal if it remained in the EU single market? If effectively the Japan deal makes Japan part of (or at least much closer to) the single market, then if the UK remained inside, presumably it would also share access to Japanese goods. Of course, the likelihood of absolutely anything is complete guesswork these days.

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

Bikes are cheaper in the UK than the rest of Europe now hence the reason lots our second hand models are bought in bulk by dealers from Belgium, Poland, etc.

Also as in the car industry we get offered more 'fatted calf' deals like free extras or 0% finance

So basically a 6% reduction will level the market for the rest of Europe but hey let's not let fact get in the way of a good doom and gloom press release surprised its not published by MCN the bike preases equivalent of the Daily Express