Going on a trip? What do you or should you take

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Snail
Current Ride: Burgman

Going on a trip? What do you or should you take

Post by Snail »

Hi, let's go for a week to ten days duration UK or euroland, and assume your trusted steed is serviced to the manufacturers schedule,

Would you carry any spares or tools, if you take spares then you need the tools to change them? ( my burgman has one Allen key a screwdriver and the c spanner to adjust the shock, that's it) or being able to present the spares you could have the work done any garage locally and reduce off the road time?

Alternatively just have breakdown and recovery options that would include repatriation in the event of a serious breakdown or accident here or in euroland, would punctures be covered by breakdown?
(My mates discovery caught fire couple of weeks ago on m4 his breakdown refused to recover it because it didn't breakdown!!)

Legal requirements, we know about carrying personal and vehicle documents, with bikes do you need to carry spare bulbs, warning triangles, display critical air stickers and such like...with bike headlights on all the time do you reset the dip beam when going to Europe?

When we travel (in the van) Mrs snail has a memory stick in her purse with copies of all our personal and van documents updated each year, photograph everything including pictures of van, bikes any thing of value, so if the worst happens and the van aint there when you return! At least you can prove who you are and what youve lost, do you do the same?

Ok enough for now we have no experience of bike travel or requirements so interested to read your replies

Snail

Bern

Re: Going on a trip? What do you or should you take

Post by Bern »

Hi bud.

With regard to dip beam, do nothing it only dips down rather than down & to the left as cars do.
Might be a plan to get the emissions sticker ( required in some towns & cities) for France & I think Germany
High viz jacket for each rider
Reflective stickers for the crash hats
GB sticker (obviously)

Which firm was the Disco 'covered' by ?

Deleted User 7077

Post by Deleted User 7077 »

Best advice is invite Lyn aka Bustupbiker along on your trip to fix stuff . :lol: :lol:
I always take few tools and spare belt spare fuses good idea .I'm putting a kit together to keep in the burgman .

Snail

Post by Snail »

Hi Bern, I hadn't noticed the bike plates not a euro type, so gb sticker, we have crit air stickers on van for France and Germany, but of course they have reg no on them, France is more areas than just towns and cities, we have Richie jackets that are fluorescent yellow on shoulders and arm area would that be ok, stickers for helmets? Haven't heard of these or noticed them?
Don't know about disco will find out, having a Chinese with them Saturday

HBMT, ok then I come with you and be able to use your breakdown kit! Ha ha sorted, you will need quite a toolkit to change a belt?
Don't think Lyn is interested in camping trips?

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Symcity »

Just get some breakdown cover and your sorted - you’ve just bought a brand new scooter really doubt you’ll have any issues

Deleted User 7077

I'm not bothering with Criteair it's only big city centres that have permanent zones .The area ones only temporary if high pollution event and is decided day before it comes into force .

Bern

Post by Bern »

I sit corrected re stickers, see ... http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/guide ... ing/france

I think motorcycle clothing now has to hae CE stickers ?

Snail

Post by Snail »

HBMT, probably agree with crit air, just in van never know where we will bed up!

BERN, interesting article bulbs a must then, probably some puncture remedy

SYMCITY, yes ok new bike etc, more about rules and regs for bikes as new to us

Thanks

Deleted User 7077

I'm practicing my camping cooking at home my specialty at moment is Oeufs a la ridge monkey.

Deleted User 7077

I fired up my old satnav yesterday I've got Archies camping and Acsi card France camping on it .Just need to mount it .Bit old and out of date .
So satnav I'd put on list .Although you can navigate easily following sign posts its always that last few miles to final destination in a strange place comes in handy .