Would you buy a used helmet

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Re: Would you buy a used helmet

Post by rayb »

If I'm parked up in less desirable places, they'd need to nick my head as well. Not saying that's out of the question but a crash helmet and armoured jacket offer a fair bit of protection in a scrap.

Bern

Post by Bern »

rayb wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:53 pm If I'm parked up in less desirable places, they'd need to nick my head as well. Not saying that's out of the question but a crash helmet and armoured jacket offer a fair bit of protection in a scrap.
Errr, I'm probably being a bit 'thick' here, but what the fuck has that got to do with buying a used crash hat :? :? :? :?

rayb
Benefactor

Post by rayb »

Bern wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:24 pm
rayb wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:53 pm If I'm parked up in less desirable places, they'd need to nick my head as well. Not saying that's out of the question but a crash helmet and armoured jacket offer a fair bit of protection in a scrap.
Errr, I'm probably being a bit 'thick' here, but what the fuck has that got to do with buying a used crash hat :? :? :? :?
It was in response to this post Bern. Sorry it irritated you :(

"the 5 years are up normally, so its not a problem for me - though I usually retain an older helmet for use when I'll be parked up in slightly less desirable place in case it gets nicked."

Deleted User 7077

Post by Deleted User 7077 »

Bern has joined Meldrew as self appointed Muppet Police and had a sence of humour by pass .

rayb
Benefactor

Post by rayb »

Has been maxi tours wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:13 am Bern has joined Meldrew as self appointed Muppet Police and had a sence of humour by pass .
I take into account his IBS. Irritable Bern Syndrome :)

He's a great bloke and reached the age where he can have a good whinge.

Are you coming to Redditch Julian?

Deleted User 7077

Post by Deleted User 7077 »

I'm up so its looking good

phantom309
Current Ride: nc750sa

Post by phantom309 »

personally wouldn't buy myself a used one. the advise i was always given was to buy the most expencive helmet you can afford..
Good friends don't let you do stupids thing alone .

orange1290
Current Ride: XMAX 300

Post by orange1290 »

I've got an old Arai from 2003. Had it tested and it's in perfect safety condition. It's been dropped from the bike at seat level several times. Changing helmets every 5 years is a complete waste of money unless they are badly abused.
2017 XMAX 300
2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure T
1974 Kawasaki H1E
1972 Kawasaki H1B

rayb
Benefactor

Post by rayb »

For those of you don't believe Pikey exists. Here he is at today's Classic & Coffee, putting a nice greasy palm print on Andy Wilkinson's prize Metro

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

orange1290 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:32 am I've got an old Arai from 2003. Had it tested and it's in perfect safety condition. It's been dropped from the bike at seat level several times. Changing helmets every 5 years is a complete waste of money unless they are badly abused.
I'd have to disagree. Riding all year round the uv from strong summer sun then freezing cold of winter can & will weaken the integrity

but more importantly the interior no matter how careful a wash you do loosens, becomes bacteria filled and sweat must effect the straps.

Leather shoes on advice shouldn't be worn every day same pair for same reasons (I'm sure some fecker will now say they've worn the same pair man & boy for the ladt 39 years)