The Legend is back

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Deleted User 4154

Re: The Legend is back

Post by Deleted User 4154 »

MrGrumpy wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:30 pm There are / were quite a few Honda Cub clones around - are they as good as the original? Even Honda did the Innova which is basically the same thing with different styling. Whilst I like the idea of something very economical and reliable, and a basically very sound design, the new version seems like a plaything - no screen, no storage. And that keyless ignition looks hard!
The clones are standard no-brand Chinese fare - quick rot cycle parts, disintegrating rubber, exploding gearboxes, flaky electrics (I recall one that was delivered in a crate as new that had clearly had a wiring fire), Wensleydale bearings etc. etc. You also get the benefit of 'improvements' like the different sized brake on the front - now that no-one's importing the bikes any more (apart from the odd container load here and there) spares will potentially become a problem. Obviously you'll meet someone who had one that worked but caveat emptor applies here, and paying more than two-digit sums for one is not recommended.

The Innova represents sensible progress and improvements over the C90 - a few more cubes, the all-important 4th gear, better suspension, better brakes, better lights (on the later, injected bikes anyway). It's a far superior machine in every practical way, and older ones can be picked up for pennies these days. The Cub is an antique (albeit a very nice one), and this new edition is priced not on what it cost to make, but on the market they expect to sell it to i.e. 'leisure' users.

bikerdezzie
Current Ride: skyteam dax

Post by bikerdezzie »

Sym did a decent cub copy.
Dezzie

Jimo
Benefactor
Current Ride: 92 Helix

Post by Jimo »

Perhaps after three years the price of a ‘new’ cub might be reasonable, - if Honda have not priced themselves off the market!

Jim
‘82 Honda Lead 80, '84 Lead 125, ‘94 Honda Helix, ‘79 Honda ST70

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

riders in the storm wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:07 pm
smeghead wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:14 pm Or this for 1500 quid. https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... rd-listing
Never seen one of those before.

It's pretty obvious Honda have just copied it....

And then added 2 grand to the price.

:D
It's the other way around! Everyone copies Honda's design, including the engines. Sym of course were building genuine Honda's under licence for Honda a few years back so they know a thing or two about build quality. But the Sym does look good. I prefer the Honda though as you'll be able to go almost anywhere on it and get parts. Plus the Honda is more powerful and a bit bigger. Accessories will be available for the Honda in due course such as screen, rack etc, even a dual seat so I'm hearing with the necessary footpegs (this may be some way off though). The new Honda will be totally bullet proof if it's anything like the old C50/70/90's.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Jimo
Benefactor
Current Ride: 92 Helix

Post by Jimo »

But with each add-on the price goes into orbit which makes it a lesser deal. Surely better to place the new Cub in the last pricing position of the out-going C90 and take it from there. But maybe some dealers will cut the price?

Jim
‘82 Honda Lead 80, '84 Lead 125, ‘94 Honda Helix, ‘79 Honda ST70

riders in the storm
Benefactor
Current Ride: HondaNC750X+HondaCRF300Rally

Post by riders in the storm »

:D
[/quote]

It's the other way around! Everyone copies Honda's design, including the engines. Sym of course were building genuine Honda's under licence for Honda a few years back so they know a thing or two about build quality. But the Sym does look good. I prefer the Honda though as you'll be able to go almost anywhere on it and get parts. Plus the Honda is more powerful and a bit bigger. Accessories will be available for the Honda in due course such as screen, rack etc, even a dual seat so I'm hearing with the necessary footpegs (this may be some way off though). The new Honda will be totally bullet proof if it's anything like the old C50/70/90's.
[/quote]

I do realise that Data, hence my :D at the end of my post........ ;)

As a schoolboy in the 70's I used to stand outside the local bike shop at lunch time looking at the C50/C70/C90's for sale and wonder how much difference each engine size made. Back then "workmen" rode them to work, I can remember when I did my apprenticeship seeing loads being ridden into Cammell Lairds in Birkenhead.....

I won't now though, the only "Supercubs" I will see will be in the hands of wealthy, nostalgic hipsters, it's clearly not aimed at the utilitarian market anymore.... :(
HondaCRF300Rally, Honda NC750X

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

A lot of origional cubs are also being converted to customs and 'chopped' The occasional one looks good , but the majority are bodged, Its a real shame.
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

Deleted User 4154

Post by Deleted User 4154 »

bikerdezzie wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:40 pm Sym did a decent cub copy.
The Symba was a lookalike, not a true copy in the sense that the Chinese things were. Good bike though, if you can find any parts for it. The best copies (or near copy anyway) are the earlier incarnations of the Daelim Citi Ace.
horobags wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:55 am A lot of origional cubs are also being converted to customs and 'chopped' The occasional one looks good , but the majority are bodged, Its a real shame.
Yeah, that is sad. Nearly all of them look like shit, are deathtraps and when the fashion changes in a few years they'll be scrapped because the hacked-about frames will be beyond restoration.

muddyfox
Benefactor
Current Ride: Yamaha 250r x max

Post by muddyfox »

Hunts in Manchester now offering test rides.
Muddyfox (Nottingham)
Ride safe

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

riders in the storm wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:18 am :D
[/quote]

I do realise that Data, hence my :D at the end of my post........ ;)

As a schoolboy in the 70's I used to stand outside the local bike shop at lunch time looking at the C50/C70/C90's for sale and wonder how much difference each engine size made. Back then "workmen" rode them to work, I can remember when I did my apprenticeship seeing loads being ridden into Cammell Lairds in Birkenhead.....

I won't now though, the only "Supercubs" I will see will be in the hands of wealthy, nostalgic hipsters, it's clearly not aimed at the utilitarian market anymore.... :(
[/quote]

Sorry, missed that lol... :lol:
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...