200 Burgman

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Phil
Current Ride: SYM MAXSYM 400

200 Burgman

Post by Phil »

Hi there, I'm thinking of trading in my SYM Maxsym 400 for a 200 Burgman as its getting to heavy for me now (old age). I was just wondering what these was like, does anyone out there have one. I'm 6 feet 1 inch tall and quite weighty. Phil
soulofreiki.com

Argyll
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH300i

Re: 200 Burgman

Post by Argyll »

I quite like the concept of a well built 200 at a (relatively) decent price. They seem to go for £3.5k on pre-reg bikes. I read on here that the suspension is awful out of town and that isn't very encouraging.

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Symcity »

Sorry Phil I’ve not ridden a 200 Burgman however the Burgman is 71 kg lighter than your maxsym so you’ll definitely find a difference pushing it around - your going to loose 16.4 bhp by moving down to a 200cc - this equates to less performance but better fuel economy - whether you deem this reduction in performance acceptable is entirely up to you however you won’t be overtaking anyone in a hurry - it appears to be a decent machine with plenty of storage - peak power comes in at 8000 rpm which is quite high - price wise you can source a prereg 2017 for £3295 at J & S Motorcycles in Doncaster - be interesting to hear what they offer for your maxsym

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

I had one!! Its basically a 125 with a bigger engine, rather than a proper maxi. Plus points are low seat, and big storage, minus points are its suspension is pretty primitive. It rides OK in town, but can't handle the countryside at all. Handling is a bit odd...feels a bit remote and chopper like!!! Doesn't go too bad (80 ish flat out). It probably fairly roomy for a small scoot, though it isn't big - the FF riding position may or may not be cramped for your height. Its a nice looking thing - sort of executive small commuter, but not really the thing for longer journeys.
Mine had a series of engine funnies that seemed impossible for anyone to trace or fix.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Welcome Phil,

Is there a reason you are set on the Burgman 200?

I only ask as many Burgman 400 owners that I know, including me, went over to Vespa GTS300's. Get the later one (mid 2014 onwards) and it comes with abs and traction control too, plus better rust protection. Plenty of power, genuine 80mph+ machine with great handling and nice smooth clutches. Very reliable, tough, and easy to service and only 159kg's wet. Motorcycle type handling and road holding with it's very very stiff steel frame. In fact, riding one is a real revelation for most folks and you don't usually want to get off at the end of the ride. I get fuel economy of anywhere between 85-90mpg most of the time depending on traffic and type of journey (fast or slow). Best I've achieved is 94mpg and that was keeping to 55-60mph on a bit of a run cross country. Yes, they are that good on fuel. Engines are good for around 100,000 miles if you use a proper motorcycle fully synthetic oil (not car oil), and before you need to do any serious spannering work. Until recently I serviced both a 250GTS and two of the 300 versions. One of the 300's and the 250 had covered in excess of 82,000 miles with just consumables (that included variators which are cheap). Most parts are cheap compared to Suzuki. In fact I understand the 250 has now been traded in for a new 300 as it was just beginning to use some oil. Not surprising as it's owner tended to thrash the bollocks off it!...and he has had it from new.

I'm 6'2" tall with 33" inseam. I fit the bike just fine and don't look a 'tit' on it! Harvey, Roger, back me up on that pleeeease! :lol: Most miles I've done in a day on the GTS is 400. I was still comfy at the end of the day. By the way I'm just at retirement age myself and these days don't ride bikes that are uncomfortable. If you go for a new one, there are some excellent deals at Colchester Kawasaki or their sister company, Motorcycles Direct with heavy discounts, and 0% finance available with lots of free goodies including full face helmet, chains and disc locks, neck warmers etc etc... You won't find any bad road tests about them, even by Motorcycle News! The bikes just go and go. Buy one now and you can still be riding it 20 years from now having done the minimum of maintenance on it. Let us know what you decide...get some test rides! Good luck.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

XP500FUN
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda WibbleWing 600 Love it

Post by XP500FUN »

The Sym 300`s are about 25/30KG down from the 400.

Not sure if thats enough.

The Vespa sounds very nice and well down on yours.

I found the sym joyride a super little scoot, light, easy on and off, went really well up to about 80 etc etc but on the back roads probably even worse than the 200 Burg sounds.

Mind you I did have original rock hard tyres on, I did`nt relaise at the time how much that affects scoot comfort etc as just off bikes.

A frame mounted 250 cc scoot would be nice if there was one.

Best Mark.

Phil
Current Ride: SYM MAXSYM 400

Post by Phil »

Hi Guys, thanks for all the advice. I did have a Joyride 200 evo 6 years ago before the Maxsym cracking little scoot wish I had kept it. I must admit I do like the look of the Vespa GT and only live a couple of miles away from the dealer in Lincoln but havnt really got that sort of money to change. I wanted to buy a new one so it lasted me as it will be the last one I buy. As Symcity wrote you can pick pre registered Burgmans up for around 3 grand. This is what I hope to get for the Maxsym. I dont know whether this is realistic or not. Thanks for all your imputs Guys. Phil
soulofreiki.com

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

At 3k your not that far short of some of the offered on the GT, offer your dealer that n see if he bites.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

bn1966
Current Ride: Vespa GTV 300 SG

Post by bn1966 »

Went down the Vespa 300 route myself recently (from a T Max) very happy with the Vespa and having loads of fun with it, so light compared to the T Max.

Normsthename
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield Classic 350

Post by Normsthename »

Have you thought about a Yamaha Xmax 300?
It’s only 19Kg heavier than the Burgman 200

Andy
2024 Royal Enfield Classic 350
1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing
2016 Microcar MGO3 - 4 wheeled Scooter with a roof :D