New Vespa (more BHP) GTS 300 For 2019

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Jimo
Benefactor
Current Ride: 92 Helix

Re: New Vespa (more BHP) GTS 300 For 2019

Post by Jimo »

OK so I’ve found out about HPE engines, but what does one do about the Rust problem that appears to be prolific with modern Vespas?

Jim
‘82 Honda Lead 80, '84 Lead 125, ‘94 Honda Helix, ‘79 Honda ST70

Deleted User 7077

Post by Deleted User 7077 »

Protect it from rust before it happens . Main problem is the under side which you can't see ,the welded seam behind rear wheel and area between the plastic floor and bottom metal chassis .If water gets in here and gets trapped will rust places that are not protected .Also fender extender on front wheel stops stone chips which lead to rusting .Another problem depending where you live is them getting stolen or someone trying to take it off you .Its easier for them if keys are in as they are coded to ecu .

The flaw in its design to keep the traditional vespa shape but with modern engine is the twin radiators behind front wheel air and water when it's wet goes thro and exits out sides of glove box .Water that doesn't go straight thro can seep down on inside of steel frame and sit right on top of welded seam again if sits there for long enough will cause rust .If they go to radiator on side of engine with 125 version may help .I thing piaggio have one now like the Honda 125 .This has been the problem in some cases they have rusted from inside out so first owners knew was paint bubbling by then inside is already rusty .

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Symcity »

I think it’s a case of lust for Italian exotica - no one really cares about things like reliability or corrosion - as long as the machine looks the part then who the hell cares - with regard to fossils there’s quite a few who regularly contribute to this very forum

Deleted User 7077

I think they have another step in their paint process now .I'm sure Data posted about it when he was looking .Saying that the very early ones up to 04 were better than the 05 to say 13.I don't know exactly when the extra dip came in. It depended on use as well the Sunday riders garage stored loved ones faired better.

Deleted User 7077

There's a massive world wide following for vespa old and new .I like going to the Vespa world days events great atmosphere .Alp days is good as well fantastic setting and just down road from start of the Grossglockner pass .

Deleted User 7077

Don't forget the Harley boys they have some big doos as well .

Deleted User 7077

So would I if lived in America its a big country .A lot get trailered on vanned to Vespa days I've done it if wife goes. Got choice now ride the Burgman or go in van and dust off the Vespa .Again will be 3 week Trip
wife not going tho .

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Jimo wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:45 pm OK so I’ve found out about HPE engines, but what does one do about the Rust problem that appears to be prolific with modern Vespas?

Jim
Jimo, Vespas are now coated in electro phoretic primer (this is electrostatically applied), same as cars. It stop corrosion really well, especially in unseen areas. But, it's still best to rustproof any bike you get. It's easy to do. I did mine as soon as I got her. Not sure when the electro phoretic primer was first used by the factory but 2012 rings a bell.

The main thing to understand is that the Vespas are metal bodied and metal can rust if not looked after. So this mean's touching up any stone chips and it'll be fine. You often find owners who don't touch up stone chips are the ones that have rust. They often don't check the underside of the bike either so they don't notice rusty areas that can form over a long period. Rusting from the inside of the bikes is now pretty much a thing of the past though.

When rustproofing the bike use Waxoyl NOT ACF50. Waxoyl is a permanent use once only product, whereas ACF50 is a use each year chemical otherwise your bike will rust!

Reliability wise, Vespas have a very good reliability record these days. The ones I've been servicing (with 82 & 85k miles on the clock respectively) have no rust, and have had zero problems throughout their lives. Ones a 2008 250 and the other a 2010 300. In fact the 250 has just been traded in for a new GTS300 as the owner was so pleased with their 250 over the years. Aside from a weeping engine coolant hose under the floor, I've had zero problems with my 300 in the two years I've had her. I rode her through one winter with the usual lots of salt on the roads with non ill effects to her cosmetics in any area. She's as glossy and shiny as the day I got her. Love her to bits!
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Jimo
Benefactor
Current Ride: 92 Helix

Post by Jimo »

Data, It sounds like the rust problem may have been addressed by Vespa manufacturers but time will tell - as well as the findings of users.

Jim
‘82 Honda Lead 80, '84 Lead 125, ‘94 Honda Helix, ‘79 Honda ST70

Aaron
Current Ride: Yamaha Tmax Tech Max 2022

Post by Aaron »

The updated front on the 300 does look good

Aaron